2016-17 JGP Announcements and Standings | Golden Skate

2016-17 JGP Announcements and Standings

The Finn

Record Breaker
About the Standings per Nations.

I didn't get how ISU got the total points in that system last season.

Based on the rules (http://static.isu.org/media/224412/standing_-calculation_jgp_series_15_16.pdf) these should have been the results of the ladies as far as I know.

Ladies (The scores are from 1st event to 7th event. Only 4 best scores will be counted)
Japan: 22p - 17p - 28p - 20p - 20p - 26p - 28p = 104p Total
Russia: 22p - 24p - 14p - 24p - 28p - 17p - 11p = 98p Total

Yet they weren't the official result but these one were.

1. Russia 98 points
2. Japan 90 points
http://www.isuresults.com/events/jgp2015/jgpnos.pdf

Can anyone explain to me why those were the official results. I get that if one deletes the last two events then one get the official results but I haven't found anything that would suggest that the last two JGP events wouldn't count for points.

The Finn

Record Breaker
About the Standings per Nations.

I didn't get how ISU got the total points in that system last season.

Based on the rules (http://static.isu.org/media/224412/standing_-calculation_jgp_series_15_16.pdf) these should have been the results of the ladies as far as I know.

Ladies (The scores are from 1st event to 7th event. Only 4 best scores will be counted)
Japan: 22p - 17p - 28p - 20p - 20p - 26p - 28p = 104p Total
Russia: 22p - 24p - 14p - 24p - 28p - 17p - 11p = 98p Total

Yet they weren't the official result but these one were.

1. Russia 98 points
2. Japan 90 points
http://www.isuresults.com/events/jgp2015/jgpnos.pdf

Can anyone explain to me why those were the official results. I get that if one deletes the last two events then one get the official results but I haven't found anything that would suggest that the last two JGP events wouldn't count for points.

Just for fun I checked if the current results are right and atleast at this time they are calculated right. Although I only checked Russia's total points.

Men
28+26+16+24+22+22=100

Ladies
15+26+14+28+18+28=100

Pairs
22+28+24=74

Ice dance
18+20+20+26+24+28=98

Total points: 372

Current standings:
1. Russia 372
2. Usa 184
3 Japan 149
http://www.isuresults.com/events/jgp2016/jgpnos.pdf

The Finn

Record Breaker
Overall Standings per Nations:

Russia scored over 100 points in every disciplines. They also won every disciplines.

Total
1. Russia 408 points (100+106+100+102)
2. Usa 186 points (64+22+31+69)
3. Japan 154 points (44+102+3+5)

Men
1. Russia 100p
2. Usa 64p
3. Japan 44p

Ladies
1. Russia 106p
2. Japan 102p
3. Korea 36p

Pairs
1. Russia 100p
2. Usa 31p
3. Czech Republic 28p

Ice dance
1. Russia 102p
2. Usa 69p
3. France 58p

hanca

Record Breaker
Russia is doing very well indeed. Unfortunately, there is a long way between juniors and seniors. Lots of those teams may not survive the transfer to seniors. E.g. Stepanova/Bukin has done so well in juniors and still struggle to push through in seniors ranks, Yanovskaya/Mozgov split up. Lots of pairs also split up. From the last group of strong pairs that was in juniors a few years ago, Tarasova/Morozov are the only one who are still together and going strong. The remaining four pairs are gone and not doing that great with their new partners yet. Men look good in juniors (Aliev, Petrov) and then they seem to struggle in seniors. They are not bad, but not quite there yet. In fact, ladies seem to be the only discipline that is managing the transfer between juniors and seniors well. Medvedeva, Radionova, Pogorilaya...

Saying that, it is worth it to watch juniors because what they manage at their young age is amazing. Even if they never do so well in seniors, they will always be remembered.

sneakers

Match Penalty
Russia is doing very well indeed. Unfortunately, there is a long way between juniors and seniors. Lots of those teams may not survive the transfer to seniors. E.g. Stepanova/Bukin has done so well in juniors and still struggle to push through in seniors ranks, Yanovskaya/Mozgov split up. Lots of pairs also split up. From the last group of strong pairs that was in juniors a few years ago, Tarasova/Morozov are the only one who are still together and going strong. The remaining four pairs are gone and not doing that great with their new partners yet. Men look good in juniors (Aliev, Petrov) and then they seem to struggle in seniors. They are not bad, but not quite there yet. In fact, ladies seem to be the only discipline that is managing the transfer between juniors and seniors well. Medvedeva, Radionova, Pogorilaya...

Saying that, it is worth it to watch juniors because what they manage at their young age is amazing. Even if they never do so well in seniors, they will always be remembered.

I have high hopes for Shpivelaya / Smirnov, very good skating skills, fast and has the right charisma - him being a Cizeron mold of emoticons.
I think they will fare the same like Stepanova / Bukin. I can't say the same for Loboda/ Drozd skating skills.

For pairs its too early as most of the girls look to young. The boys future isn't as dire as last few years ... most of the russian juniors have quads Aliev, Samarin, Savosin, then more with 3Axels will be eligible next year. Petrov doesn't have a yet quad so....

Last edited:

Axelsk8r

Rinkside

I had the exact same discussion with a friend yesterday. Russia is killing it in Junior or skaters might come and be successful one year and then we don't see them anymore. But those kids are really entertaining and amazing skaters, they own the junior field!

hanca

Record Breaker
Well, I think they definitely are worth watching, but unfortunately it is never clear who of them will manage the transition to seniors. It is heartbreaking to see my favourites struggle among seniors when they were so great in juniors.

Alex D

Record Breaker

Which is very common in sports.

These Kids practice for 10 years +, often without many friends, they live for the Sport and especially the girls grow up with many doubts when their Bodys change.

It might sound like not a big deal for us men, if we gein 6 pounds, but it can hurt a girl a lot and URs crawl in, stupid YT haters say rude things ... It will mess with their minds you know.

Look at Liza, what she had to go through ...

hanca

Record Breaker
Which is very common in sports.

These Kids practice for 10 years +, often without many friends, they live for the Sport and especially the girls grow up with many doubts when their Bodys change.

It might sound like not a big deal for us men, if we gein 6 pounds, but it can hurt a girl a lot and URs crawl in, stupid YT haters say rude things ... It will mess with their minds you know.

Look at Liza, what she had to go through ...

It seems that it makes difference with men too, though. Pitkeev and Petrov don't seem to be so great in seniors and the change in their bodies should be actually helping them. Russian women seem to transition better than Russian men! Medvedeva, Radionova, Pogorilaya... so it can't be only about change in bodies.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
It seems that it makes difference with men too, though. Pitkeev and Petrov don't seem to be so great in seniors and the change in their bodies should be actually helping them. Russian women seem to transition better than Russian men! Medvedeva, Radionova, Pogorilaya... so it can't be only about change in bodies.

Pitkeev didn't exactly do terrible before he was injured...at least he got a silver GP medal. The next crop of junior men are very different from the last generation, and there are so many good ones, especially between 12-14, that surely a few of them will survive and thrive.

Alex D

Record Breaker

I am not a girl, but I know how it was for me, when I gained some weight and size as an athlete, it did not bother me, as I had the power to use that new body. Of course, I never was a figure skater, so in that regard I can not judge the physical situation there, but I would assume, that we men can work better with a higher weight, as we have a different muscle grow and physicality than women.

That being said, what I was mostly refering to is the "psychological" aspect. Women and girls, just seem to care a lot more about what they look like than we men. I have this situation in my soccer team. They come to me and cry, because of a pound or two more, they are afraid to ask for a bigger size for their equipment and they take it very serious, if you would tell them straight "you are slow, we need to work on your fitness". Look at all the teenage girls, that stop eating, because of a stupid comments about their weight...

Evgenia I think, still has to grow into a woman (which I hope does not sound rude now), Pogo did but she struggled as well and without the last season, most people might still call her out for not winning medals and Elena is kind of inthe middle I would say, but it´s been a while I saw her live.
Tht being said, I fully agree, they are much stronger than the men, so maybe the coaches in Russia are doing a good job with these particular athletes or the girls were just bigger talents, I don´t know and Liza came back with a big bang once, so she can do it again I am sure. ;)