Xiaoyu Yu & Hao Zhang | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Xiaoyu Yu & Hao Zhang

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Thanks! I have never heard of his name, so your opinions sound logical. I tried to identify the music by using two applications, but since they didn't recognize it, so the music is not popular enough to accumulate for their database. If the program's music had picked up by Lori, this is interesting as we've joked about her tendency to choose music for her clients; out of seemingly her classic 100 in her CD rack. :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
lol maybe someone gave her the recording ;) a couple pianists have recorded his elevator music ;) maybe someone thought it would be a good idea... I'd need to be paid a lot of money to perform this. It's pretty bad ;) (and i am a snob when it comes to music as you know haha)
Thanks! I have never heard of his name, so your opinions sound logical. I tried to identify the music by using two applications, but since they didn't recognize it, so the music is not popular enough to accumulate for their database. If the program's music had picked up by Lori, this is interesting as we've joked about her tendency to choose music for her clients; out of seemingly her classic 100 in her CD rack. :)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Xiaoyu and Hao! A beautiful and almost flawless skate and a Silver Medal for their international debut!

They're amazing for having partnered for just a few months, boding extremely well for a quick ascend to the top tier in the world of Pairs figure skating. More success to come!

icekiwi

On the Ice
To be honest, didn't think I would be here..............but here I am!!

I was one of those who were terribly opposed to the 'switching' and was very upset about the splitting of Yu/Jin. I was also highly skeptical of how Zhang was going to treat Yu but...............it is better to be proven wrong for the good.

The FS was a treat, a master piece. I can even read my own story into it, the 'Black Knight - Zhang' taking the 'Princess - Yu' on a journey to meet her Prince. Because she is so delicate, he has to be gentle and yet protective over her. So glad they didn't choreograph a romantic story but rather made it into a knight accompanying a Princess on a journey. The costumes are also fitting for the story, feels like they have just jumped out of a child's fantasy story.........into 'life beings'.......I had chills watching it.

And Yu, wow just wow!!! Her whole acting was a quiet, beautiful, delicate princess on an unknown journey. That last posture in the end where she knelt down and good old Zhang like he is comforting her - wow just wow!! The music slightly haunting so Yu's calm unsmilling face is actually very fitting.

Felt they should have higher PCs than D/R, at least for 'interpretation and choreography'.

The 'Tech' - Yu's split triple twist is the best of the whole event and so are her throws. Her landings is definitely better than Meaghan's who just 'made it'. Yu's landings have heaps of room and proper posture. Those balletic arms and posture of Yu's are to die for.

Now that the 'debut' is over, hopefully the judges would be willing to award more marks at their next event. Felt the SP was undermarked and D/R overmarked on the PCs.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I love the way you described the story in the program, icewiki. It is the same theme, modernized, for their ex program. They are playing up the contrast with Hao as the big strong protector and she a delicate beauty. Of course we know she is actually a tough cookie who can twist and jump and land those huge throws. :)

Last edited:

icekiwi

On the Ice
I love the way you described the story in the program, icewiki. It is the same theme, modernized, for their ex program. They are playing up the contrast with Hao as the big strong protector and she a delicate beauty. Of course we know she is actually a tough cookie who can twist and jump and land those huge throws. :)

Thank you, Violet Bliss. I think it is Xiaoyu who is telling the story so well. You can tell from the performance, Yu looking away out somewhere and Zhang behind her, also looking at that direction. I am so blown away by Xiaoyu's performance and Zhang too. To me, she has gone up another level in performance wise. She is my favorite ladies pair skater now. They don't look at each other (that would be more of a romantic gesture) but away at the same point on the ice. Also, in the step sequence, they weren't choreographed to be in sync but rather separately and telling each own's story. I didn't know it was their Ex program. I am keen to know whose idea it is to do this. So.....appropriate and clever, but also requires talented skaters to perform that.

icekiwi

On the Ice
Who she callin' little?!

I think Xiaoyu is quite happy to be on the same podium with Meagan. She doesn't mind coming in 2nd, for now. :)

I agree with your 'for now', Violet Bliss. Yu is the 'complete package' for pairs ladies skater and Meaghan is not, in my opinion. One only has to look at the landings of those throws - elevation + height + landed with ease and speed + beautiful posture + balletic arms to finish off. Wow, just wow!! I am watching Yu/Zhang's SP & FS again and again.

icekiwi

On the Ice
I can find the British guys commentary on Yu/Zhang's SP but can't find the LP. If anyone could find the BESP commentary for Yu/Zhang's LP, please kindly post it here. Thank you in advance!!

For the SP, Simon & Chris are really gushing over Xiaoyu, you can hear their 'wow' at the split triple twist, in fact they were surprised the marks weren't closer to D/R for the SP.

This is the BESP for the SP - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z6vHIl0hgI

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I agree with your 'for now', Violet Bliss. Yu is the 'complete package' for pairs ladies skater and Meaghan is not, in my opinion. One only has to look at the landings of those throws - elevation + height + landed with ease and speed + beautiful posture + balletic arms to finish off. Wow, just wow!! I am watching Yu/Zhang's SP & FS again and again.

ice kiwi... i share your enthusiasm for Yu. i was one of the happy ones about the pair switch. i thought yu needed a stronger partner and peng deserved more happiness...

however, there is no need here, to belittle Meagan to enjoy Yu's potential. Please keep in mind that Yu and Zhang are still doing pretty much the easiest throw triple jumps and easiest SBS jumps in the business. When they are ready to upgrade, the quality of landing may be altered.

In the end, and I think I am right about this, the fan fests are there to cherish, enjoy, love, support and share news about the skaters... not to make derogatory remarks about skaters.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I can find the British guys commentary on Yu/Zhang's SP but can't find the LP. If anyone could find the BESP commentary for Yu/Zhang's LP, please kindly post it here. Thank you in advance!!

For the SP, Simon & Chris are really gushing over Xiaoyu, you can hear their 'wow' at the split triple twist, in fact they were surprised the marks weren't closer to D/R for the SP.

This is the BESP for the SP - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z6vHIl0hgI

and again... look at protocols... SBS spins were a miss here for Yu and Zhang in both programs and it's normal as they are such a newly formed pair. and of course, BV is much lower than some of the top pairs, which is normal as they are brand new.

I don't want to sound like i am not supporting this pair, as I am definitely a fan, but let's be realistic. Their performance level right now is very strong, and part of this is simply because they are securing their programs with the less demanding elements. Let's see what they become in a few months. They may master the harder elements just as well as the easier ones... and then, we will be in for a treat... but for now, let's remain realistic can we?

Sorrento

Record Breaker
After watchng their performance at Skate Canada I am positive about them becoming one of the top contenders for Olympics podium. I like the fact that they are taking it slow now so that they get used to each others technique and skills. But I am sure they already work hard on quad twists and throws. So they might surprise us all at Worlds in 2017 already. Good luck to them both.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
After watchng their performance at Skate Canada I am positive about them becoming one of the top contenders for Olympics podium. I like the fact that they are taking it slow now so that they get used to each otherstechnique and skills. But I am sure they already work hard on quad twists and throws. So they might surprise us all at Worlds in 2017 already. Good luck to them both.

totally agree with you... That's what I am thinking as well. Hope they reach their very high potential

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Count me in as a fan!
I've been replaying their FS for some time now. Although I still have some reservations about this partnership (treat Yu better, Hao :roll5: I'm watching you), there is this cool mystical presence that surrounds them. They may be a bit too cold at times, but there is a sense of connection between them. What I hope for Coach Hongbo to do so is to treat that connection carefully. I'm assuming Yu still has her guard up but I hope she sees this as a way to learn more and expand herself artistically.

Sorrento

Record Breaker
I think that Xiaoyu Yu is a star of this pair, really, I love watching her and her partner is there to make her shine. So I hope that if they work on everything step by step everything will fall into place and they will be an amazing pair. I don't expect Yu to have warm feelings towards her partner, I am not that naive, but as a sport duo they can achieve a lot. Mutual confidence and support is the key. And hear me through some God's whisper, big Chinese coaches and Federation: let them grow gradually, don't push too hard.
Xiaoyu Yu- you go girl! Good luck!:cheer:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think that Xiaoyu Yu is a star of this pair, really, I love watching her and her partner is there to make her shine. So I hope that if they work on everything step by step everything will fall into place and they will be an amazing pair. I don't expect Yu to have warm feelings towards her partner, I am not that naive, but as a sport duo they can achieve a lot. Mutual confidence and support is the key. And hear me through some God's whisper, big Chinese coaches and Federation: let them grow gradually, don't push too hard.
Xiaoyu Yu- you go girl! Good luck!:cheer:

Hao is the kind of partner that can make shine a skater like Xiaoyu. I hadn't noticed how special she was with her former partner. I just thought, wow, good, strong young couple. Now, I see her in the same league as the other top ladies of the pair family... She could be a queen... just watch out Sui ;) haha someone wants your crown.

I think the fed and coaches are developing both pairs gradually and with intelligence. The worst thing they could have done, is built programs that were too difficult. Then, the mistakes would have come up and they wouldn't have been able to trust each other. What they have done, with the simpler but gorgeously presented programs is indeed built this relationship gradually. When Yu saw their marks in the KnC, she was smiling and happy. I think she will understand how lucky she is to be skating with Hao, who knows how to make her shine and present her. I cannot wait to see how they develop. I think other pairs may feel a bit nervous ;)

She is a star as you say, and she also has the right partner to showcase her star quality.

Last edited: