Xiaoyu Yu & Hao Zhang | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Xiaoyu Yu & Hao Zhang

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Watching Y/Z's LP, I thought that the old axiom of Pairs, Ice Dance and ballroom dancing that the man is supposed to present and showcase the woman was very evident. It has not been so common these days and is very noticeable in their LP more so than SP. I feel that Han Cong is good at showcasing Wenjing as well.

There is so much room for this Pair to grow and I'm excited to see their further development. Already they are displaying a different style and partnership from the other top Pairs. More treats for us skating fans.

icekiwi

On the Ice
Xiaoyu instantly reminds me of former Olympic Champion Russian pairs lady skaters the likes of Elena Berezhnaya, Oksana Kazakova, Tatiana Totmianina and even Tatiana Volosozhar for that matter - beautiful carriage and posture, balletic arms, soft quiet quality across the ice.

I have followed figure skating for over 20 years, the above ladies have the qualities that I enjoy seeing on the ice, and I think in my opinion, are the more beautiful to watch. I now put Xiaoyu in that category.

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
Xiaoyu Yu is a STAR. She is magnificent, the way she moves i can't take my eyes off her.
Those Chinese pairs ladies damnnnnnn they are so enthralling. Wenjing is the same, a star! Qing Pang was the same, Xue Shen obviously magnificent and though she has struggled with jumps, I believe Cheng Peng has the potential to become as great, I hope she fulfills it in her new partnership, just as Xiaoyu is doing.

Hao Zhang kinda is a prop, and i am not saying that in a bad way. He is a very good, experience, reliable prop, a bit like Han Cong is Wenjing's prop because they let their ladies shine and they are so right because these girls are worth a million dollars dixit British eurosport guys

Last edited:

MorganaPendragon

Spectator
Country
Canada
I have to say I had my doubts about this pairing, but after seeing them in person at Skate Canada, they've won me over! I was very pleasantly surprised by how well they worked together. Yu is definitely the star in the pairing though, what a lovely skater.

icekiwi

On the Ice
All the best to Yu and Zhang this weekend at Cup of China. Shine again beautiful star - Yu Xiaoyu!

Here is a youtube link to the British guys gushing of Yu in her and Zhang's LP at Skate Canada - 'she is a million dollars out there', 'the hairs on the back of my neck were standing at one point', 'she is a delicate flower;!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RemTsxEgrY

Enjoy!!

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Well done to this pair for being 1st at the end of the CoC SP! :hap10: Some beautiful skating from both of them. Gorgeous elements. SBS spins improved. Just needs a bit more zip, speed and energy in the stsq.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I enjoyed Peng/Jin's SP very much too and very happy that the partner switch has worked out so well. Re-watching Yu/Zhang's Sp, I find their skating is very sophisticated and mature compared to the playfulness of P/J. These differences are age appropriate and Xiaoyu has the elegance and easy grace to perform the kind of choreography suitable for older Hao. As someone mentioned, Y/Z is more limited in their choices of programs but her special qualities also open up possibilities that younger skaters don't have.

Their LP is an example of this brand of contrast and sophistication. I hope to see their best at LP tomorrow.

moriel

Record Breaker
After CoC SP, i actually wonder if those two could pull out a Jane Eyre inspired program.
Sorry, Bronte fan here =)

icekiwi

On the Ice
Congratulations to Yu/Zhang for their first GPF Silver medal!! Well done and totally deserved!!!

Yu's little 'bobble' at their final pose was so cute!! Zhang covering his face and then rushing over to see if she was alright. Thank you, Zhang appreciate that.

icekiwi

On the Ice
All the Best to Yu/Zhang this weekend!!

Shine again 'Beautiful Star', Yu Xiaoyu! And Wow us again with your elegant, graceful, poised skating!!

Wow!! The Tech Content. Just can't wait. I have predicted for Yu/Zhang to take the Gold here. The GPF (with D/R coming 3rd) has shown that the judges are not handling out high marks just because a pair has higher BV. They have to be consistent and land everything accordingly. Yu/Zhang have shown consistency this season and that is a hugh plus in the eyes of the judges!

Can't wait! All the best!!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Yu/Zhang have generated a lot of high expectations with predictions of podium finish, even winning the event. Best wishes to them with anticipation to see their beautiful programs again.

icekiwi

On the Ice
This is Yu/Zhang's FS run through at 4CC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ10-95h6Oo&t=1s

Graceful, elegant and poise as usual!! Love the fact that they kept the ending pose where he bent down to comfort the 'Princess' on her journey.

Credit to old Zhang - his performance has improved immensely - I know the British Euro guys (at the GPs) did say that they found Zhang almost unrecognisable in terms of his choreographic performance - even they said that Zhang has improved in leaps and bounds.

So good to see the 3 Chinese couples practising together, less crashes. Sometimes you hear stories circulating around that some skaters don't get out of the way or intentionally following another, etc. All 3 Chinese teams have beautifully choreographed programs where the couples have real interaction with each other - just stunning and give me the chills. Good job!! Well done!! How about all 3 on the podium!!

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
This is Yu/Zhang's FS run through at 4CC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ10-95h6Oo&t=1s

Graceful, elegant and poise as usual!! Love the fact that they kept the ending pose where he bent down to comfort the 'Princess' on her journey.

Credit to old Zhang - his performance has improved immensely - I know the British Euro guys (at the GPs) did say that they found Zhang almost unrecognisable in terms of his choreographic performance - even they said that Zhang has improved in leaps and bounds.

So good to see the 3 Chinese couples practising together, less crashes. Sometimes you hear stories circulating around that some skaters don't get out of the way or intentionally following another, etc. All 3 Chinese teams have beautifully choreographed programs where the couples have real interaction with each other - just stunning and give me the chills. Good job!! Well done!! How about all 3 on the podium!!
well that would be a dream come true for me!:bow:

good luck my almost fav pair at this 4CC!:laugh::agree: