Cheng Peng & Yang Jin | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Cheng Peng & Yang Jin

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Congratulations for their Silver medal! Cheng still needs to learn to manage pressure but their debut season is nonetheless impressive.

eta. Oooops. My bad. Correction to the colour of their medal at NHK is made.

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Congratulations for their Bronze medal! Cheng still needs to learn to manage pressure but their debut season is nonetheless impressive.

What bronze medal? No. They won two silver medals from Cup of China and NHK Trophy. I think you're confused with Wang and Wang's bronze at NHK.

icekiwi

On the Ice
Yes, congratulations to Peng/Jin for their Silver at NHK!!

They must have felt the pressure, to be leading over the World Champions after the SP. I think, hence the mistake on the jumps for Peng. You can tell on Peng's face that she knew the pressure had gotten onto her but it is better to learn how to deal with it now than later in a much bigger event. I am still really proud of the fact that they rallied through the rest of the program, nailing element after element, after the very early mistakes which can sometimes throw the skater off. You can tell they hung on to finish the rest of the program cleanly, for that I am very proud of them and of their strength and courage together.

Well done and congratulations again for qualifying for GPF, Peng/Jin!!

When that LP is skated much sharper and faster, to the beautiful 'Umbrellas of Cherboug' music, it will be so glorious and romantic and hopefully knock the judges off. I am so looking forward to that 'moment'!! I know it will happen!!

shine

Record Breaker
I'm pretty in love with these two. I got a little teary eyed watching their FS from NHK. They really have that special something, don't they?

icekiwi

On the Ice
I'm pretty in love with these two. I got a little teary eyed watching their FS from NHK. They really have that special something, don't they?

Shine, did you watch them 'live'?

I am keen to hear comments from those that did see them 'live'. For those of us looking at a TV screen, it was 'very good'. Those BESP British guys liked them very much, they are usually pretty accurate in their assessment.

Yes, these 2 contrasting programs - SP & LP, for Peng/Jin just suited them prefectly. I love that LP (Umbrellas of Cherboug) to bits, I don't think I have seen pairs use this music before, so it is quite special to see 'atheleticism & artistry' combined. Just give me the chills. That portrayal of 'young love' suits them so so well!! I am totally blown away!!

icekiwi

On the Ice

Thank you Violet Bliss!! This is absolutely priceless! To hear from David Wilson the initial switch process and having to choreograph to the switched pairs.

Very interesting too, how he said Cheng Peng was presented to him as being not too 'expressive' and the LP was designed to draw attention to Jin. But wow oh wow! Cheng Peng just comes alive in these 2 programs. He also described Peng as having wonderful dance background judged from her movements. David Wilson sounds extremely happy with how the programs have blossomed. Fantastic!!!

I have picked Cheng/Jin to medal at GPF in my predictions. So, all the best to Peng/Jin this weekend!!

Shine again my favorite couple - Peng & Jin!!

icekiwi

On the Ice
Here's a few photos I took of Cheng and Yang, at the Grand Prix Final in Marseille...

http://photos.phantomkabocha.com/FigureSkating/GPF2016/Peng-Jin/index.html

It was wonderful to watch them in practice and competition, and see how well they've "gelled", despite being such a new team. They looked like they were having a lot of fun!

Just come back to this thread. Wow! Those are fantastic pictures of Peng/Jin that you have taken - so clear and pristine, YesWay! Good job!! Wow, Peng looked so pretty close up, you can also see a lot of maturity in her eyes as well. The time will come when she will be Queen of Ladies Pairs skating. I can see it.

YesWay, sounds like you attended the GPF in Marsielle and therefore has the chance to watch the skaters 'live'. How are the Chinese pairs compared with the rest? I know the results said something, but what are they like 'live'. Would love to hear your 'live report' so to say. Thank you in advance. Still haven't watched Peng/Jin's GPF FS. Heard about Peng's nasty fall, hence just didn't have the courage to see her with another bad fall. And off course they came last. Was it really bad? Thanks.

Last edited:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
YesWay, sounds like you attended the GPF in Marsielle and therefore has the chance to watch the skaters 'live'. How are the Chinese pairs compared with the rest? I know the results said something, but what are they like 'live'. Would love to hear your 'live report' so to say. Thank you in advance. Still haven't watched Peng/Jin's GPF FS. Heard about Peng's nasty fall, hence just didn't have the courage to see her with another bad fall. And off course they came last. Was it really bad? Thanks.
I don't know what to say really - all the teams were quite different, so it is difficult to compare. Both Chinese teams looked competitive, but relaxed. Cheng Peng/Yang Jin looked like they were having fun, not just because of their programs but they just seemed to be laughing and smiling a lot in practice. Xiaoyu Yu/Hao Zhang seemed more "business-like" but they also looked pretty cheerful in practice too.

I had the feeling that Cheng Peng is a lot more "at ease" with Yang Jin, more able to let her personality out, act like a boss etc.

Hao Zhang seems to treat Ziaoyu Yu with a great deal of respect.

Everyone seems quite comfortable in their "new" partnerships.

Cheng and Yang's FS was not so bad... Cheng fell on her opening solo jumps, maybe nerves got to her. They weren't what I'd call "scary". The scary bit was a loss of balance during an overhead lift, leading to an "unplanned dismount"... it wasn't pretty, but they averted a dangerous fall - she came down safely, landed on her feet, and he kept hold of her the whole time. They did another overhead lift soon after, which showed great courage and strength of character.

Last edited:

icekiwi

On the Ice
All the Best to Peng/Jin this weekend!!

To me, Peng/Jin is the future of Pairs Skating in China - both still very young, no age difference, just started as a couple and already so much chemistry.

I love love love their two contrasting programs - especially 'the Umbrellas of Cherboug' - so romantic, soft and fitting for them. All I want is for Peng to land all her jumps - two clean programs! Many more years of Glory and Crowning in the years to come - just get consistency and confidence now.

Can't wait! All the best!!

icekiwi

On the Ice
Peng/Jin's FS run through at 4CC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgbxdnaG-tA

Love the few added choreography here and there - making this FS even more reaching to the audience and the story more emotional. Really loved the beginning with Jin's hands on Peng's face. Love Peng's extension with her arms, hands, the turning of the face here and there. Love love love it!!

icekiwi

On the Ice
Feel so bad for Peng after the SP. It was just a freak error when she fell on the spins. Everything else was skated with a real attack and going phenominally well until the mistake. I was a bit worried about her 3T but that was done perfectly. I think the judges also docked them on the PCs after that error too. I hope she is being comforted because every top teams in the world had had big errors. I still remember even Sui/Han had a hugh error in one lift and the dismount was so scary. They are both doing very well. Please take heart, it is alright, everyone has fallen before. Land those jumps in the FS and I think those marks will go up. All the best in the FS!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
It was just a freak fall by Cheng. I hope they pick themselves up and show us a great performance of the LP which has presented more of a problem for them than their very well received SP. They are great together and Cheng just needs to be steady for them to break through to the highest tier of Pairs.

Best wishes to Cheng and Yang for their LP this Saturday.

icybear

Medalist
Peng/Jin’s new short program will be a Tango, their new long program will be to Butterfly Lovers. Lori Nichol choreographed both programs.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
:cheer: HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHENG!!! :cheer:

I hope you are having an enjoyable day, and that the next year is a good one for you, both on and off the ice!

And congratulations to you and Yang on the overall third position in Pairs at the WTT this week.

A nice early birthday present! ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan