Cheng Peng & Yang Jin | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Cheng Peng & Yang Jin

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Peng/Jin’s new short program will be a Tango, their new long program will be to Butterfly Lovers. Lori Nichol choreographed both programs.
I think that Butterfly Lovers is a great choice for them. I look forward to that! And they shouldn't have a problem with a tango. I wonder if they're doing Adios Nonino in reminiscence of Lu Chen's 1998 Olympic programs. Twenty years later. ;) Probably not ... by the way, I tried to watch Lu Chen's Butterfly Lovers FS and I can't find a version with audio. :(

icybear

Medalist
I think that Butterfly Lovers is a great choice for them. I look forward to that! And they shouldn't have a problem with a tango. I wonder if they're doing Adios Nonino in reminiscence of Lu Chen's 1998 Olympic programs. Twenty years later. ;) Probably not ... by the way, I tried to watch Lu Chen's Butterfly Lovers FS and I can't find a version with audio. :(

I found one. Just press play when the video loads up.https://www.bilibili.com/video/av6169923/?from=search&seid=8063413165057183867

icekiwi

On the Ice

So good to see the Chinese team members get along so well with each other. This is not the first time Boyang man acting playful with Jin. I remember seeing another clip where Jin attempted to throw Boyang as in a pairs element, it was hillarious!! Of course, Boyang landed on both feet, goes to show how strong the pairs ladies are!

icekiwi

On the Ice
Peng/Jin’s new short program will be a Tango, their new long program will be to Butterfly Lovers. Lori Nichol choreographed both programs.

Is that confirmed for real?

If it is, I just can't wait. Cheng & Jin can play the young lovers so well. The 'Tango' will be sharp moves, intense and sexy while the 'Butterfly lovers' will be soft, traumatic and forebodding. Wow, Lori is very clever. Both programs require great male/female chemistry and suitable for the team to execute. I can't wait!!!!

icybear

Medalist
I am so bored with off season that I decided I will write about what Butterfly Lovers - Peng/Jin next season FS music is about for any fans who don't know about it. Butterfly Lovers is an ancient Chinese story which is very well known in Chinese culture and has been made into many TV shows and films and probably the most famous piece is the music The Butterfly Lovers Violin Concerto. The story is about a tragic love story of a pair of couple. Set in ancient time a young girl dreams of going to school but in those days girls generally stayed at home while boys went to school. The girl decides to dress up as a boy so that she could go. There she meets a boy where they quickly become best friends. Over the next 3 years the girl gradually falls in love with him but the boy never realizes that she is actually a girl. The girl's family soon calls for her to return home. The girl is sadden as she knows she wants to stay with the boy forever. She makes a plan and tells him to come visit soon so that he could propose to marry her 'sister' and then they could still see each other. Months later when the boy visits he discovers she is a girl. They are in love and vow to stay together forever. However her family had already arranged for her to marry a rich man. The boy is heartbroken and falls critically ill and dies. On the day of her marriage as the wedding procession went pass the cemetery of the boy's grave a huge storm suddenly descends on them. The girl rushes to the grave and then suddenly a bolt of lighting opens it. In desperate despair she throws herself inside to join the boy. The storm quickly subsides and as her family rushes to the grave all they could find was an empty coffin but then suddenly 2 butterflies flew out, overjoyed to be reunited together at last and they flew away never to be separated again. The End. Interested to know what Lori has made of this story.

icekiwi

On the Ice
Their New FS to Butterfly Lovers - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovrm-fomSIM

Their new SP to a Tango - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZTmIbP80kA

I have just watched all three top Chinese pairs' new programs and to me, Peng & Jin's programs are the ones with the most potential hands down! I thought Peng/Jin's programs suited them really well and I thought their speed together across the ice has definitely improved - they were fast, sharp and the lifts.........has Jin put on some muscles? because those lifts he did were fast across the ice! A vast improvement compared to last season in my opinion.

Love love the choreography on both programs, very intricate and difficult positions that Peng has to get herself into but she is proving she is flexible and a wonderful dancer as well. Love the finale position of the FS - like she is a butterfly flying away, absolutely gorgeous. I am already in love. This is the 'pair' with the most potential and definitely for the future of Chinese skating. I also notice the maturity in their skating as well, after just one season together, they have real chemistry and connection on the ice of which I only saw in their last outing together doing the FS, I think at 4CC where they skated absolutely clean. I was so happy for them, to finish the season with a 100% clean program and such connection as well.

nimi

Medalist
Their New FS to Butterfly Lovers - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovrm-fomSIM

Their new SP to a Tango - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZTmIbP80kA

I have just watched all three top Chinese pairs' new programs and to me, Peng & Jin's programs are the ones with the most potential hands down!
Agreed! They have that special spark. There was also the interview with Lori Nichol where she sounded especially inspired by Peng&Jin and talked about how Peng is so artistic and creative and could become a choreographer some day.

Maybe it's a blessing they're currently #3 on the Chinese fed's pecking order? The "top 2" teams were given "safer" programs... (and to me, more boring -- although Yu as the Swan is A+ choice IMO)

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I like both programs and I'm glad that the Chinese fed is is not treating them as "only" Chinese #3 team, they obviously get expensive and beautiful costumes. They look very fine together, it seems as if they've gained speed, at least in the SP I think it's quite obvious.
And did anyone notice that Peng is holding a gun to Jin's head at one point during the pair spin in the SP? :biggrin: Nice touch.

icekiwi

On the Ice
In fact, having rewatched all three pairs programs again, I realised Peng made the least mistakes compared to Sui and Yu. They all skated clean in their respective shorts. When come to the LPs, Sui had 2 uncharactersitic falls and so has Yu (Yu's one looked worst unfortunately). Peng doubled both her triple but did not fall. Peng skated the strongest in my opinion. A few scratchy moments like the spin we were discussing above, I think it is because the choreography this season is a lot more complicated compared to last season's.

They have definitely upped the ante this season, good for them. I am just super excited with this 2 stunning programs, they are both young, athletic and their chemistry is growing by the minute. Wow!!

shine

Record Breaker
Oh my god, their FS is stunningly beautiful. They really have two winners in their SP and FS this year. I can't wait to see them skate this tomorrow at Finandia trophy! I love them both and love that they have such chemistry, but Peng Cheng is just by far my favourite Chinese pairs lady ever. She just feels every note of the music and presents with every fibre of her body down to the fingertips. :love: Gahh I love her.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

A lovely program that showcases Cheng's expressive artistry though the performance is still rough. It is however good enough to win at this event. It will of course be refined and polished as the season comes along.

I'd like to see them in costumes with more of a period feel. I especially don't see how her dark costume relates to the music.

Congratulations to Cheng and Yang for the gold medal and a great start of the season.