Stephen Gogolev | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Stephen Gogolev

StephenGfan

Final Flight
if you see her in the isu chat please report her there as well no grown woman with that big of an influence should be encouraging bullying towards a 13 year old boy. disgusting.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Amazing skate for this young man! Can't wait to see his FS!

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Stephen won his very first JGP event! :medal" Here's his free skate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9MDTD2q6WU

The FS protocols: http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1819/jgpsvk2018/jgpsvk2018_JuniorMen_FS_Scores.pdf

Colonel Green pointed out in the competition thread that Gogolev is the first Canadian man (or boy :p ) to land a clean quad Lutz. :yes2:

Didn't watch it live, but beautiful! Combo was :clap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzdpAx1ep2A

I've already shared that link a few posts above you.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow! If this guy can stay healthy, he is definitely going to be a force to be reckoned with. Great jumps, nice feel for the music, good spins. Pretty amazing for a 13 year old! Very impressed with him. Looks like a strong competitor too. Didn't seem to faze him at all when he had a mishap on his 3A.

MajaHled

Rinkside
Just came back from the arena! Stephen was really great, especially if we consider it's his JGP debut and he's only 13. He does feel the music, but I'd say it shows better in the SP where he doesn't have to focus on so difficult jumps. His rotational speed in jumps is really quite something, too! Shame about the Axel, but otherwise great job! We got pictures with him, and he's such a shy kid, it's cute :D

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada

fierysky

Rinkside
Congratulations to Stephen on his first JGP win! :clap::clap:

He was definitely being a bit more cautious than at Minto, but also putting 110% effort in making those quads. It was a great junior debut for him!

I was so happy to read that landing those quads were a great confidence booster for him. Keep it up Stephen! :)

Very impressed with him. Looks like a strong competitor too. Didn't seem to faze him at all when he had a mishap on his 3A.

I have to say this was something about him that I have been more impressed with than him landing those quads. He definitely does not let things get to him. I'm so impressed with how he quickly picks himself up and gets right back into it, even at Minto. I feel his mistakes in the second half are more due to lack of stamina than a lack of fighting spirit or mental fortitude. This is sooo important, because that quality is something that's more difficult to gain than any tech, musicality or artistic ability.

I'm also impressed with how self aware he is with him commenting how he needed to do more run throughs to improve his second half.

Just came back from the arena! Stephen was really great, especially if we consider it's his JGP debut and he's only 13. He does feel the music, but I'd say it shows better in the SP where he doesn't have to focus on so difficult jumps. His rotational speed in jumps is really quite something, too! Shame about the Axel, but otherwise great job! We got pictures with him, and he's such a shy kid, it's cute :D

Great to hear he was wonderful live too.

Stephen does come across as shy and more introverted, which may be why he's getting perceived as not being musical at all. He does project and engage with the audience less than others, but like you said he's 13, and trying some of the the most difficult techs.

I'm just glad you were able too see his musicality. I don't get all the lack of musicality talk when there are segments where you can see how in sync he was with the music. Is he the best in PCS? Of course not, and he wasn't given the best score in that aspect.

Either way, can't wait to see him improve over the season.

Castiel

Rinkside
I'm just glad you were able too see his musicality.
He's definitely very musical boy. Hans Zimmer OST is very sophisticated and eccentric so it's amazing to see 13 y.o. boy who skates so well to this piece. He's really interesting without any quads and jumps at all. I love to watch how he feels the choreography. BTW who are choreographers?

fierysky

Rinkside
He's definitely very musical boy. Hans Zimmer OST is very sophisticated and eccentric so it's amazing to see 13 y.o. boy who skates so well to this piece. He's really interesting without any quads and jumps at all. I love to watch how he feels the choreography. BTW who are choreographers?

Lol. I think I'm just a bit sensitive, but I've read comments where it's as if they're making him out to have the personality of a potato on the ice or something. And I'm just like whaaaa??

His SP is choreographed by Mary Angela Larmer, and FP by David Wilson.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^Oh my gosh, can he be any younger?! He looks like a little kid. I guess he is. Very well spoken though for being so young.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Congrats to Stephen!

aww he’s adorable in that interview.

What a prodigy, only 13!!

MajaHled

Rinkside
Congratulations to Stephen on his first JGP win! :clap::clap:

He was definitely being a bit more cautious than at Minto, but also putting 110% effort in making those quads. It was a great junior debut for him!

I was so happy to read that landing those quads were a great confidence booster for him. Keep it up Stephen! :)

I have to say this was something about him that I have been more impressed with than him landing those quads. He definitely does not let things get to him. I'm so impressed with how he quickly picks himself up and gets right back into it, even at Minto. I feel his mistakes in the second half are more due to lack of stamina than a lack of fighting spirit or mental fortitude. This is sooo important, because that quality is something that's more difficult to gain than any tech, musicality or artistic ability.

I'm also impressed with how self aware he is with him commenting how he needed to do more run throughs to improve his second half.

Great to hear he was wonderful live too.

Stephen does come across as shy and more introverted, which may be why he's getting perceived as not being musical at all. He does project and engage with the audience less than others, but like you said he's 13, and trying some of the the most difficult techs.

I'm just glad you were able too see his musicality. I don't get all the lack of musicality talk when there are segments where you can see how in sync he was with the music. Is he the best in PCS? Of course not, and he wasn't given the best score in that aspect.

Either way, can't wait to see him improve over the season.
Yeah, I'm always a bit ehh? when people say he lacks any PCS qualities. He's good for his age for sure, and I believe he'll improve with time. (Plus if I were to name one thing I'd want him to fix, it'd be his Lutz takeoff, rather than suddenly gaining mad interpretative skills.)

icetug

Medalist
He was definitely being a bit more cautious than at Minto
He was much more cautious than at Minto, and extremely focused on a quality of performance. What's great score-wise, but he lost most of his previous joy of skating, especially in SP. It's not an objection - it just shows how much pressure he felt and how wonderful job he did keeping his emotions under control. Hope he manages to suppress negative emotions and, simultaneously, show positive ones in the future.

Hans Zimmer OST is very sophisticated and eccentric so it's amazing to see 13 y.o. boy who skates so well to this piece
That's what I was thinking about watching his FS :agree:. Moreover, comparing his Minto and Bratislava performances, it's clear that he improved the interpretation considerable.

MajaHled

Rinkside
Re Stephen and interpretation/performance: from what I can tell from his interviews and from when we (very briefly) talked to him in Bratislava, he seems to be a pretty shy kid. So I think that might also be getting in the way of his performance, that he's a little bit reserved (especially compared to, say, Donovan). But I think that's something he can overcome with time and experience.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Both his age and obvious nervousness about debuting internationally in “real competition” would account for his being more restrained than at Minto. Experience will deal with that (he’s already skated before much larger crowds at Nationals).

Speaking of Nationals, it’s common for those competing senior there but junior internationally to add quad jumps to the short for the occasion. It’d probably make the most sense from a training perspective to just have him do the 4S-3T in place of his normal combination, though purely from a novelty perspective it’d be fun if they used the opportunity to use one of the quads we haven’t seen in competition.