Stephen Gogolev | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Stephen Gogolev

Imov

Medalist
I will be keeping an eye on this wonderful work in progress.
Take each rotation one at a time Stephen.
Sometimes I feel people are pressurng him too much.

fierysky

Rinkside
Linking the CBC article SnowWhite posted on the Edge:

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/figureskating/canadian-figure-skating-stephen-gogolev-1.4802496

Some good tidbits about Stephen and of his training. :) While it's a no brainer, nevertheless, it's still reassuring to hear that Orser seems very on top of Stephen strengths and weaknesses. Almost all the concerns or complaints I've read by skating fans since Bratislava have been lightly addressed.

I agree some people are expecting waaaay to much from him right out of the gate. I've come across comments trying to compare him to senior skaters and I find that wholly unfair. I guess since ppl have been hearing about him for so long their expectations are not very realistic.

I liked how Stephen laughed when Orser said he himself was not very good in artistry at 13. And I'm so surprised to hear he's only 88 lbs. So tiny! :laugh:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
at 88 pounds... he could be a pairs girl... pair that with i don't know... kolyada... and you have SBS quad lutzes ;)

okay i am silly...

what i liked about this is the simple reality : what people blame Gogo for, presumably lack of artistry, is ridiculous in my opinion... At 13, that's just not there.. it will come when it's needed... already, I find him interesting to watch and I am a chiddy fan... so... he is doing something on the ice ;)

I cannot wait to see how he develops.

acapenci

On the Ice
Stephen is such a tiny thing. Including his height and weight in the article emphasized just how young he is, and the article was really informative too! :)

StephenGfan

Final Flight
I have seen people be like "Oh he doesn't have the artistry of so and so skater" who the skaters in question they are comparing him too are men/boys 4-10 years older than him. I have seen him skate and judging by his gorgeous spins i can see that their is artistry there that is budding into something beautifull and by the time hes 15/16 he will have a nice mix of artistry and tech. I frankly see shades of yagudin in him.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker

ximianK

Rinkside
I saw (on line) Stephen Gogllev's skate at the 2018 Canadian Nationals held here in Vancouver, BC. I would have loved to have been there for a live performance, but my health prevented that. However, I'm looking forward to seeing more of this young promising skater. Here is a link to the CBC and his accomplishments so far:

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/figureskating/canadian-figure-skating-stephen-gogolev-1.4802496

:points:

he will participate in the next Junior Grand Prix to be held in Richmond BC 2 weeks from now. So hopefully you get to see him skate live then.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

StephenGfan

Final Flight
As much as i love him theres always room for improvement especially as a 13 year old. Overtime artistry will come naturally to him imo. And he lands jumps amazingly but i am a little worried at the takeoff of some of his jumps. He who shall not be named did a video analysis of his 4lz and it was underroated. Hes young but i am still worried.

typeyournamehere

Match Penalty
the guy is good, and has a huge potential, but i have only one question: why wiki and other sites say that he was born in Toronto, when in fact it looks like he was born in Ekaterinburg and even took part at some russian domestic competitions?
http://www.fskate.ru/skaters/4026.html 3rd place at some russian junior competition(novices?)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He's an amazing young talent with a ton of potential.

But he has plenty of growing to do yet, physically, technically, and artistically.

I don't think that labeling him a future super-star is going to do him any good at all.

Enjoy his skating for what it is, look forward to what he might do in the future, that's fine. But rarely does it work out to place such high expectations on a young athlete.

fierysky

Rinkside
the guy is good, and has a huge potential, but i have only one question: why wiki and other sites say that he was born in Toronto, when in fact it looks like he was born in Ekaterinburg and even took part at some russian domestic competitions?
http://www.fskate.ru/skaters/4026.html 3rd place at some russian junior competition(novices?)

Because he was? I'm very confused why people seem to not have the concept of moving or travelling around. That Russian site only proves he competed at a few local competitions and that's it. Meanwhile he clearly lists Toronto as his birthplace on his ISU bio, and that's what he also told also the press when they interviewed him recently for the article on him.

Canada allows for dual citizenship, so despite being born in Canada he also has Russian citizenship too. At six he started skating but we don't know where. Then he spent a bit of time travelling to Russia to train and did a few local competitions there, but his family eventually chose to compete for Canada. That's it.

If one day, he wants to skate for Russia, that's great too! But that still doesn't change his birth place, which is Toronto, nor should it matter.

Last edited:

TGee

Record Breaker
Many young skaters in Canada have the option of skating for more than one country. Their parents often wish to explore the pros and cons of skating for Canada vs the other country of citizenship.

e.g. pairs skater Vanessa James was also born in Canada, has US citizenship from her childhood there, has a Caribbean / overseas British citizenship from her parents... but eventually decided to skate for France.

When the other country is another big skating country, it's can be important to do explore the issue early.

And in Stephen's case it sounds as though his family was maintaining close ties and spending time in Russia every year when the kids were younger. He says he was last in Russia about 18 months ago.

Another point to mention is that the government of Ontario mandates public Saturday 'heritage language' schools. If his parents put priority on it, he may be in Russian school Saturdays.

moriel

Record Breaker
He will be the next star when he manages to go through a whole quad as successful senior
So far, it looks like they will break his body with quads and he will retire due to injury maybe even before turning senior, or lose his jumps after a growth spurt.

At any rate, I am too tired of those "X will be next star" whenever a skater wins a championship or tries a harder element.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I think it's too early to say. For men, there are quite a few skaters capable of jumping multiple quads so it'd likely take either serious consistency or some other aspects, at least to an extent.

The jump technique and jumping in general is, well... Not concerning I guess, but I do wonder how it translates with men. That is, his quads are very small with little air time, and they're about 270 degrees pre-rotated. The reliance is on his rotation speed, which is absurdly fast. Now, generally for Men, they can sustain their rotation speed pretty well, but I'm just not entirely sure... It's always tough to predict consistency, also. Which is a requiement if a skater is looking for perform 5, 6 quads in a program.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Of course, it’s way too early to tell about Stephen, as impressive as his accomplishments so far may be.

I am glad to see that so many other GS posters are worried about quads at such a young age. I am worried about them too, just like I am for ladies :agree: I did not realize I had so many posters agree with me, and I look forward to your comments in other threads:yes:

Unless of course you are only worried about them for Stephen and not for Skaters like Sasha, which would just be silly and :noshake:
Or trying to make some kind of point, which I’m not sure what that would be, since posters like myself are consistent about any young skater trying too many jumps too soon. So no point to be made there :confused:

And, in any event, I have read interviews with Brian where he clearly states the health of young Stephen comes first, that he limits the amount of time he practices quads and when he practices them. None of this happy hoo-hah from Brian about how a young teen is going to practice anyway so why stop him. So bravo for Brian on that, as well:clap: