Stephen Gogolev | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Stephen Gogolev

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I have no idea whether quads are more dangerous for the health than triples. I think the danger is in the pressure of the impact which is aggravated by the wrong technique. Hence, poorly executed triple may be more dangerous than a good quad. Once again I am not an expert. I was in track n field, though and I did long and triple jumps. Triple jump is very tricky for feet. If you miss the right jump angle with the right distribution of tension you could easily ruin your feet. I was more or less lucky while an athlete but now at 50 I am taking my toll for those jumps.

But, of course, you were so concerned about Sasha so that I do believe that adding Stephen to the discussion is fair. And I don't believe that Brian's practices are fundamentally more "environmentally friendly" than Eteri's. His skaters get injured every now and then.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have no idea whether quads are more dangerousbfor the health than triples. I think the danger is in the pressure of the impact which is aggravated by the wrong technique. Hence, poorly executed triple may be more dangerous than a good quad. Once again I am not an expert. I was in track n field, though and I did long and triple jumps. Triple jump is very tricky for feet. If you miss the right jump angle with the right distribution of tension you could easily ruin your feet. I was more or less lucky while an athlete but now at 50 I am taking my toll for those jumps.

But, of course, you were so concerned about Sasha so that I do believe that adding Stephen to the discussion is fair. And I don't believe that Brian's practices are fundamentally more "environmental friendly" than Eteri's. His skaters get injured every now and then.

And now you see that I am consistent in my concerns. :cool: for everyone.

I don’t know if Brian’s technique will be more “environmentally friendly” or not. For me, the proof is not whether the skater is injured from time to time (although constant injuries would be a concern) but whether the skater is still skating at 18 and at 22, and even later. Ladies, men, pairs and dance, I hold all of them to the same standard.

So when and if Stephen, or Sasha, or anyone, is still skating and winning at 18, then we’ll know. :)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I hope he gets to be the best he can be and that he can withstand the quads at such a young age. Hopefully gaining strength will only help his quads whereas the ladies tend to gain strength and curves and that doesn't usually go as well = Yulia, Adelina, Radinova and all.

I like that he is working on the presentation and skating skills not just the jumps but he is so so young and has been on the horizon for ages - three years and he is still super young even for juniors. He is a boy not a young man. 3 or 4 years is huge at this level so kudos to him for battling the rest who are young men.

But for Canada's sake I would love to see Nam get it together though unlikely and a battle with a resurgent Reynolds and Messing before giving way to Nadeau, Orzel or Sadovsky. Then Stephen could rise to the top. But I am not sure if any of those mentioned really will be a threat

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
But for Canada's sake I would love to see Nam get it together though unlikely and a battle with a resurgent Reynolds and Messing before giving way to Nadeau, Orzel or Sadovsky. Then Stephen could rise to the top. But I am not sure if any of those mentioned really will be a threat
Nam has actually been looking quite good in the summer competitions.

TGee

Record Breaker
Stephen's an interesting case of a prodigy.

He's already carried the weight of Canadian hopes and expectations for at least two years.

However Brian Orser was himself a prodigy.

He talks about protecting Stephen's body, never allowing him to skate through pain.

And he's taken steps, such as bringing him to senior nationals last year, to prepare him for the crowds and public attention.

TGee

Record Breaker
Uhm, just to clarify, while Ladskater chose to link to the CBC version of this story as a source well-known to GS, it was a Canadian Press wire story.

It ran in most every daily newspaper in Canada from coast to coast. As examples:

Halifax Chronicle Herald

http://thechronicleherald.ca/sports...igure-skating-is-barely-old-enough-to-compete

Toronto Star

https://www.thestar.com/sports/skat...-on-edge-of-figure-skating-stardom-at-13.html

Vancouver Sun

https://vancouversun.com/sports/oly...pete/wcm/543fe8a6-919b-40b1-8628-5cdd01626acd

National Post

https://nationalpost.com/sports/oly...igure-skating-is-barely-old-enough-to-compete

Basically, I would argue that this was a wall-to-wall national story in Canada.

When a skater, in his first major ISU competition, gets that much profile, it belongs on the Edge where the whole of GS will see it.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
He will be the next star when he manages to go through a whole quad as successful senior
So far, it looks like they will break his body with quads and he will retire due to injury maybe even before turning senior, or lose his jumps after a growth spurt.

At any rate, I am too tired of those "X will be next star" whenever a skater wins a championship or tries a harder element.

Well, as Canada is going through a real change with our National team, a lot are retiring from competition, naturally we are noticing talent and hoping for the best for the skater. Hopefully Stephen will develop in to a great skater, whether he continues to compete is entirely up to him.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think GS closes threads after they sit idle at which point commenting is then turned off and the thread gets archived (accessible to GS Supporters only). The real advantage to posting in fan threads is for longevity.. Comments remain and the news and reactions to it gets preserved in fan fests while if they are in the Edge they instead disappear into the archives. A good “owner” of a fan thread will update the OP with any relevant news links people post in the fan fest.

Obviously if people bicker or a thread is designed to cause bickering it can be shut down too but that is unrelated at this point.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Uhm, just to clarify, while Ladskater chose to link to the CBC version of this story as a source well-known to GS, it was a Canadian Press wire story.

It ran in most every daily newspaper in Canada from coast to coast. As examples:

Halifax Chronicle Herald

http://thechronicleherald.ca/sports...igure-skating-is-barely-old-enough-to-compete

Toronto Star

https://www.thestar.com/sports/skat...-on-edge-of-figure-skating-stardom-at-13.html

Vancouver Sun

https://vancouversun.com/sports/oly...pete/wcm/543fe8a6-919b-40b1-8628-5cdd01626acd

National Post

https://nationalpost.com/sports/oly...igure-skating-is-barely-old-enough-to-compete

Basically, I would argue that this was a wall-to-wall national story in Canada.

When a skater, in his first major ISU competition, gets that much profile, it belongs on the Edge where the whole of GS will see it.

Except that the original post wasn’t about the huge media coverage Strphen is getting nationwide, and the linked article said nothing about it either - you are the first one to make that point. The original post simply said, here is a skater I’m interested in, and this article discusses his accomplishments to date. As such, I thought the poster might be interested in the threads I mentioned. That is why I linked to them.

As to the press, unless I’m mistaken, great things have been expected from Stephen for a long time. In my personal opinion, the important thing was that he lived up to expectations and demonstrated an ability to withstand the pressure of his debut despite those expectations, not the fact that his debut was wall to wall news in Canada.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I agree but his skating skills - he needs more power and speed and he reminds me a bit of Caroline Zhang and we all know where that went. Early potential but he needs to continue to grow but fast. He is no longer a teenager lol (I believe)

Wow, throwing cheap shots at Zhang who had serious medical issues with her hip and needed periacetabular osteotomy surgery. Her career was totally different and not even a valid example for the conversation at hand here.

Back to topic please.

TGee

Record Breaker
I agree that Stephen has borne the burden of expectations with Skate Canada up to now, but he is now experiencing a ramping up of public profile and expectations in the general public.

Canadians seem to always want to know who will be the next Canadian star in Men's singles...from Toller Cranston to Brian Orser to Elvis Stokjo to Emanuel Sandhu to Jeff Buttle to Patrick Chan...

It's a lot to put on a 13 year old. And he is fortunate that there are several contenders among Junior and Senior men in Canada to hold interest.

But Canadians are still looking for that elusive OGM in Men's. Stephen experience of widespread public pressure is just taking off.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Well, the author of the OP can update. [emoji6]

And I agree that Stephen has borne the burden of expectations with Skate Canada up to now, but he is now experiencing a ramping up of public profile and expectations in the general public.

Canadians seem to always want to know who will be the next Canadian star in Men's singles...from Toller Cranston to Brian Orser to Elvis Stokjo to Emanuel Sandhu to Jeff Buttle to Patrick Chan...

It's a lot to put on a 13 year old. And he is fortunate that there are several contenders among Junior and Senior men in Canada to hold interest.

But Canadians are still looking for that elusive OGM in Men's. Stephen experience of widespread public pressure is just taking off.

Canada has had some really special men’s skaters so not surprising they’re on the lookout for the next great one.

And yeah, I’m glad he’s been well protected by the TCC team so far - he’s so very talented and still so young. Hope the media will stay under control. Looking forward to his next JGP!

StephenGfan

Final Flight
I have a strong feeling he will be the one to finally do it. either 2022 when hes 17 (suprise win) or 2026 when hes 21 (expected win) (in Calgary fingers crossed) he has lots of time to achieve this and hes already so talented.

fierysky

Rinkside
Aww Stephen. Rough skate. I thought he was doing better than the last JGP in terms of speed and such, up until the fall. Then he got cautious again.

Hope this doesn't put too much pressure on him for the FS.

fierysky

Rinkside
You can't win them all and that's totally ok!

On a positive note, Stephen definitely worked hard on the step sequence and the choreography. He was much more committed in his performance this time, so I'd say it was a win. I'm pretty excited to see how he continues to grow. There's always next time, so keep fighting Stephen! :agree:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I know it's none of an Australian's business really, but I like the kid. And I do hope people realise they need to back off for a few years...

I can't help thinking about what happened to Nathan at this Olympics* and already getting worried about 20122 and a 17-year-old being told in so many words that he's supposed to bring home gold and break a curse that Patrick Chan couldn't... if it does get that bad in the couple of years running up, I wouldn't blame him for running for the (long way from any ice and snow) hills before then.

At least, at the TCC, he's not only got a team experienced with shielding phenoms from the pressure but he can watch Yuzu and Evgenia, and learn how to deal with what can't be avoided.

(*Mind you, I still think Nathan's meltdown was as much to do with Yuzuru as the press, but that's off-topic and the fact remains... Stephen will be even younger)

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
TallyT, it's true that Canadian fs fans and the Canadian media do tend to put a TON of pressure on our men's singles skaters, and the heavy expectations of the hometown crowd not only negatively affected Stephen in Richmond, but his teammate Iliya Kovler as well, who was 3rd after the SP and had a chance to medal.

Just as Americans generally adore the ladies discipline a bit more than the others, Canadians are typically a bit more crazy about the guys (I'm certainly guilty of this), and you usually see many more discussions about "Who will be the Next One" applied to our male skaters than the women, pairs or ice dance. No doubt the fact that Canada has produced world champions in men's singles since the late 1980s FAR more often than what probability would normally allow when you take into account our relatively small population size (our country has about 3 million less inhabitants than the state of California) has contributed to the Canadian public's perception that our guys in this sport are rather special, and the fandom plus the media crave a winner.

In a sense, Canadians "suffocate" our male skaters with our affection and expectations, and Stephen is learning this the hard way at 13 years old! :eek: I can only hope he'll gradually develop the mental fortitude necessary to withstand the pressure that a whole nation will push down on him once the Olympics comes along... :pray:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
TallyT, it's true that Canadian fs fans and the Canadian media do tend to put a TON of pressure on our men's singles skaters, and the heavy expectations of the hometown crowd not only negatively affected Stephen in Richmond, but his teammate Iliya Kovler as well, who was 3rd after the SP and had a chance to medal.

Just as Americans generally adore the ladies discipline a bit more than the others, Canadians are typically a bit more crazy about the guys (I'm certainly guilty of this), and you usually see many more discussions about "Who will be the Next One" applied to our male skaters than the women, pairs or ice dance. No doubt the fact that Canada has produced world champions in men's singles since the late 1980s FAR more often than what probability would normally allow when you take into account our relatively small population size (our country has about 3 million less inhabitants than the state of California) has contributed to the Canadian public's perception that our guys in this sport are rather special, and the fandom plus the media crave a winner.

In a sense, Canadians "suffocate" our male skaters with our affection and expectations, and Stephen is learning this the hard way at 13 years old! :eek: I can only hope he'll gradually develop the mental fortitude necessary to withstand the pressure that a whole nation will push down on him once the Olympics comes along... :pray:

Oh I wasn't criticising Canadians, honestly. It's a normal part of being a sporting phenom anywhere, isn't it? The pressure on Yuzuru from a young age from the Japanese press and public would have been no better (possibly worse), and as for Australians? - what our sports fans put young swimmers, footballers etc etc through, our glass house is NOT hard to see and VERY hard to justify sometimes.

And these days it's even worse, with social media and the press the way it is... I hope his family and the TCC team can help him keep his feet on the ground and his aspirations where they belong at his age, till it's time to reach for the Olympic rings. And I hope he does reach for them. I think he can.