Stephen Gogolev | Page 21 | Golden Skate

Stephen Gogolev

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
My non-YouTube link of his SP that I've cut from the archived livestream: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7rjslk

----

Pandicorn's practice notes:

Stephen: 2A and some 3S, good 3-3 combo
Stephen: 3lz-Euler combos, more 2A, 3A step out, clean 3A

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Congratulations to our Gogo Overlord for winning the Bavarian Open by 21 points! :medal" :hap36: :dance3: :rock:

Colonel Green's vid of his LP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CygjDMPfL00

I've noticed while watching the livestream that Stephen didn't perform any quads, so presumably he's not 100% recovered from his recent injury, and he's aiming to deliver clean skates.

And again he ditches a nicer costume (from his 2nd JGP event) for a more plain-looking one.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
Wow! Молодец Stephen! No quads or second 3A as I expected because I saw that he didn't do many solid 3A in warmup or practice, but they're taking it slow for the injury. Beautiful performance, only a time violation. Better spins, ss, interpretation. I really liked the minor changes in the choreo, the routine looked like it was a mature routine thrown on a little boy in the beginning of the season but now I have grown to like it.

The costume - I really liked the old one because as he has grown he has developed nice control of his arms, and that one red arm sticking out really emphasized his detail and nuances in the choreo but he looked a lot taller (not much shorter than Joseph Phan!) so I guess they had to scramble. He won't stop growing!

My favorite thing from this competition is how much Stephen smiled, genuinely. Maybe his time off the ice with injury made him come back to love it even more :)

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I enjoy your descriptive posts, eterislouisvuitton. :)

he looked a lot taller (not much shorter than Joseph Phan!) so I guess they had to scramble. He won't stop growing!

How tall do you think Stephen is now? (I find it difficult to judge with a video camera.) Joseph Phan is 180 cm / 5'11" (I've stood next to him this past August, and I can confirm that is indeed his height). Although Stephen now lives in California, he was clearly exposed to the mysterious substance in Canadian drinking water which makes its male singles skaters very tall. :p

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
How tall do you think Stephen is now? (I find it difficult to judge with a video camera.) Joseph Phan is 180 cm / 5'11" (I've stood next to him this past August, and I can confirm that is indeed his height). Although Stephen now lives in California, he was clearly exposed to the mysterious substance in Canadian drinking water which makes its male singles skaters very tall. :p[/QUOTE]

Well considering he was 154 cm at the beginning of last year and 162 at the beginning of this year, idk tbh. But I would definetely say he's nearing 170cm. IFS magazine said he was 5'5'' which is about 165 cm but he looked way taller and even though they didn't stand on the same pedestal, I just couldn't see a 6 inch difference between Stephen and Joseph. That is a very tough adjustment to make! He's handling it a lot better than expected :D

I guess if Raf posts a pic with him and Mariah or Nathan, we'll get a better idea but he'll almost certainly be a jr worlds. YAY!!!!!

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
My non-YouTube link of his LP that I've cut from the archived livestream: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7rlecw

Well considering he was 154 cm at the beginning of last year and 162 at the beginning of this year, idk tbh. But I would definetely say he's nearing 170cm. IFS magazine said he was 5'5'' which is about 165 cm but he looked way taller and even though they didn't stand on the same pedestal, I just couldn't see a 6 inch difference between Stephen and Joseph. That is a very tough adjustment to make! He's handling it a lot better than expected :D

I think you're right that's he's probably closer to 170 cm rather than 165 cm now. Yes, he's definitely adapting to his new height much more quickly than other skaters who have had large growth spurts (e.g. Roman Sadovsky). It makes Stephen even more remarkable as an athlete. :thumbsup:

ETA: I found a picture of Stephen and Joseph standing on the same level: https://twitter.com/gogogogolev_/status/1225575294876123136

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
I think he even may be over 170cm, but maybe not. In that pic Joseph was standing on his tip toes, so it's hard to tell but one of the ice dance girls, Emmy Bronchard, is listed as 164cm. So Stephen has bloomed over 15 cm in a year! He looks great, and now I'm sure that he will be going to JWC and will probably have his beautiful quads back by then!

What quads will he do at JWC? His 4S has always been beautiful, and apparently he was trying 4Lz and 4Lo in the practice for Croatia too. He has landed all the quads in training before but that was before the growth spurt and injury, so we'll have to see!

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I think he even may be over 170cm, but maybe not. In that pic Joseph was standing on his tip toes, so it's hard to tell but one of the ice dance girls, Emmy Bronchard, is listed as 164cm. So Stephen has bloomed over 15 cm in a year! He looks great, and now I'm sure that he will be going to JWC and will probably have his beautiful quads back by then!

What quads will he do at JWC? His 4S has always been beautiful, and apparently he was trying 4Lz and 4Lo in the practice for Croatia too. He has landed all the quads in training before but that was before the growth spurt and injury, so we'll have to see!

Not Emmy in the picture. It shows Stephen, Joseph, and the I believe two Canadian junior pairs. No ice dancers.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
Not Emmy in the picture. It shows Stephen, Joseph, and the I believe two Canadian junior pairs. No ice dancers.

Oops, my mistake. One of the girls is listed as 148cm, and the boy 182 cm so that makes a lot more sense. I just have to express how surprised I am that Stephen is handling this transition so well. I'm sure it is harder for him than it seems on the surface.

Pandicorn

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Compared to the other boys in his group he was still the smallest and thinnest. I passed him a few times and he wasn´t much taller than I am (1,65m). So I think he is somewhere between 1,66 and 1,70.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
Compared to the other boys in his group he was still the smallest and thinnest. I passed him a few times and he wasn´t much taller than I am (1,65m). So I think he is somewhere between 1,66 and 1,70.

Wow! What were your impressions from seeing Stephen in person?

Also, the entry list for junior worlds came out and Stephen is on it along with Joseph Phan. http://www.isuresults.com/events/fsevent03111967.htm The competition will be fierce, it won't be easy for Stephen to medal. His PCS and spins have improved dramatically even while injured, but he's still going to need at least two clean quads to be up there. We'll see what they have for us, I think 4S is the only sure thing right now. Maybe 4Lo, 4Lz, 4T, or even 4F? Will the second 3A be back?

Also, IFS Magazine which is an inside source to Skate Canada and Stephen, said that this will be his final year in the junior ranks. Will he move up to seniors next season? He's only 15! If that is true, which I don't really think it is - I think he will do JGP next season, then this could be Stephen's final competition as a junior :eek:

AfattyCat

Spectator

Also, the entry list for junior worlds came out and Stephen is on it along with Joseph Phan. http://www.isuresults.com/events/fsevent03111967.htm The competition will be fierce, it won't be easy for Stephen to medal. His PCS and spins have improved dramatically even while injured, but he's still going to need at least two clean quads to be up there. We'll see what they have for us, I think 4S is the only sure thing right now. Maybe 4Lo, 4Lz, 4T, or even 4F? Will the second 3A be back?

Also, IFS Magazine which is an inside source to Skate Canada and Stephen, said that this will be his final year in the junior ranks. Will he move up to seniors next season? He's only 15! If that is true, which I don't really think it is - I think he will do JGP next season, then this could be Stephen's final competition as a junior :eek:

It's not easy for him to get a medal. Kagiyama,Sato,Samsonov…they're strong competitors. Hope he can keep healthy and bring back his quads.

icetug

Medalist

It's perfect time to move up to seniors next season if he is to take part in 2022 OG. If he medals at JWC, he would get invitation to start in senior GP instead of JGP - and, as long as he doesn't dream about Grand Slam in the future - it would be better to focus on senior competitions. Hope he is ready - and the most importantly: healthy - to be equal to the transition.

Pandicorn

On the Ice
Country
Germany

I really liked him seeing in person. For his age he already has good flow and can interpret well. After watching the practice I was worried about his 3A, but in competition he did it every time perfectly!
I was surprised that he didn´t do any quads, but probably his injury wasn´t completely healed yet.

But if he wants on the podium at junior worlds he needs a quad and a second 3A.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
Jr worlds start tomorrow, Stephen will skate 25th in the short. He looked to be in good condition in Estonia at practice sessions and draws today, and he has also submitted an insane layout for the free. His planned layouts are as follows:

SP:
-3Lz+3T
-3A
-Fly sit spin
-3Lo
-Step sequence
-Change foot camel spin
-Change foot combo spin

LP (this is insane)
-4Lz
-4T
-3S+3T
-Change combo spin
-4S
-3A+3T
-3A
-3Lz+eu+3S
-Step sequence
-change sit spin
-fly change spin

If he lands all of that, which is a big if, he has a great shot not only at the podium but at the gold! This could be his final outing as a junior, good luck Stephen!

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
That layout violates the Zayak rule, so it can’t be wholly accurate.

If he actually does have all his quads back that would be quite a ramp-up from the Bavarian Open.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
I'm here after junior worlds, I didn't really want to post on this thread after the free and the breakdown. Poor timing of the edea skates, really bad luck. I think the 17th place finish coupled with Joseph Phan's messy free may have lost spots for Canada, but we don't know. Poor thing, I just about burst into tears with him. It's been such a rough season. Life as a high schooler is tough enough already, but then you add moving to a different country, growth spurt, major injury, disappointing results, having records beaten by the new stars, and once things get on a roll at Bavarian open, jr worlds happened.

To be completely hoenst I'm surprised that Stephen is adjusting so well, he said in an interview that he is almost 170cm now, which is a lot of growth coupled with an injury. The fact that he pulled out a clean 3A and 4S in the free before the boot gave out is quite impressive. His foundations and har dowrk really showed in those areas.

But alas if he wanted to get senior GP assignments, assuming it even happens, he was going to need more than a 17th place finish and 57th overall on the season's best list. Sad, but he made it into the top 75 SB so if he chooses to turn senior and Canada chooses to give him a spot, it will be host spot and unlikely to get a second event.

However he did say that he isn't sure of movin into seniors next season, let's hope that growth and injuries will be kinder now - it seems that he has returned to Toronto for the pandemic but he had enough struggles this season, let him have a better 20/21 season!

Here's an interview from hideg_y on instagram with Stephen from after jr worlds: https://zen.yandex.ru/media/id/5e46...o-stivenom-gogolevym-5e655ae2bb66e44bc5f538ef

Some clips of him speaking English and Russian on his fan blog (the voice, wow!): https://gogogogolev.tumblr.com/page/3

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
Stephen is growing up so fast! He has been selected to compete at Skate America in Las Vegas for his senior debut. https://gogogogolev.tumblr.com/ has all the details along with a Japanese interview.

The event is to be held October 23rd and judging from how things are going here in America, it's not likely to change as if it is to be pushed back, it will likely be pushed back into a 2nd wave. Stephen is competing against mostly American men, with Keegan Messing, Alexei Bychenko, and Michal Brezina thrown in there.

The good news is that Rafael will most likely be there in person for his senior debut. Unless there are health reasons, he will definitely want to accompany Nathan, Michal Brezina, Stephen, Mariah Bell, and Ilia Malinin (if they are still working together). Stephen will be the youngest skater at this event, being just 15 years old (10 days older that Ilia Malinin)

What does this mean? I'm not sure he will be competing at the senior level full time simply because of this. It just so happens that the JGP was cancelled, Las Vegas is close to California, and Rafael has a host of skaters at Skate America. He will probably compete senior at nationals, but will have to qualify again. He was also taken off the national team, though he is still listed in NextGen so he should be getting some funding through that. Living in California, online school, and training costs aren't cheap.

Idk if anyone else is here, but I'm very excited for Stephen's senior debut! Hoping it will go well!

icetug

Medalist
Series of unfortunate events... Hope it's nothing very serious that he had to withdrew from Skate America... I miss him so much.