Stephen Gogolev | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Stephen Gogolev

fierysky

Rinkside
I've picked a really bad time to catch the Stephen bug. XD Wow, off season down time really sucks. I think I've already re-watched Stephen's programs enough times that I've got most of them memorized. At this point I'm tempted to scrounge through Yuzuru videos in hopes of catching a glimpse of Stephen in the background. :laugh:

I mean there's a ton of news and hubbub over at the TCC, but Stephen is not involved so we don't get a lot updates.

I wonder if Stephen will have brand new programs for both the short and the free, or just the free. Anyone care to take a guess what music he would be choosing for his junior debut? Or what would you guys be interested in seeing him skate to? I personally have no good ideas, cuz I'm lame like that. I think I'll like almost anything really just as long as I can watch Stephen skate.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I've picked a really bad time to catch the Stephen bug. XD Wow, off season down time really sucks. I think I've already re-watched Stephen's programs enough times that I've got most of them memorized. At this point I'm tempted to scrounge through Yuzuru videos in hopes of catching a glimpse of Stephen in the background. :laugh:

I mean there's a ton of news and hubbub over at the TCC, but Stephen is not involved so we don't get a lot updates.

I wonder if Stephen will have brand new programs for both the short and the free, or just the free. Anyone care to take a guess what music he would be choosing for his junior debut? Or what would you guys be interested in seeing him skate to? I personally have no good ideas, cuz I'm lame like that. I think I'll like almost anything really just as long as I can watch Stephen skate.

fierysky welcome to the fan fest!

You've put into words some thoughts I've had whenever I read people being upset about skaters who get injured and go off radar for a few months. Every season Stephen disappears until summer competitions start and it's such a long wait to see him. :(

I hope like he's done in previous years he gets a new SP.

I have way too many ideas about music but I honestly don't know who advises him on music choices for his SP. For the FS I know it's David Wilson and his ideas which I'm cool with. Opinion about his SP music has been divided and I get that.

For his junior international debut he should do as as he did for his novice debut in Canada and skate to well known music. It's more straightforward to get judges on board. However if he does want to do something interesting then he should be encouraged (within reason). But I believe his new exhibition program will be that exploration of creativity, not his competitive programs.

icetug

Medalist
Actually I like his last season's SP. If he is to get one new program, it should be FS. Repeating a program three times in a row is a bit noxious anyway, especially for a junior ;)

fierysky

Rinkside
fierysky welcome to the fan fest!

You've put into words some thoughts I've had whenever I read people being upset about skaters who get injured and go off radar for a few months. Every season Stephen disappears until summer competitions start and it's such a long wait to see him. :(

I have way too many ideas about music but I honestly don't know who advises him on music choices for his SP. For the FS I know it's David Wilson and his ideas which I'm cool with. Opinion about his SP music has been divided and I get that.

For his junior international debut he should do as as he did for his novice debut in Canada and skate to well known music. It's more straightforward to get judges on board. However if he does want to do something interesting then he should be encouraged (within reason). But I believe his new exhibition program will be that exploration of creativity, not his competitive programs.

Thank you! I'm super happy to be here. :yahoo:

The wait is a painful new experience for me haha. But! If Stephen makes it to Junior World's we'll get a longer season than before since it takes place in March. I think he usually ends his competitions season at Nationals? Which is in Jan? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I agree with using well known music. But what style? Do you guys think he should try something epic? classical? fun? modern? Maybe a safe warhorse? Gosh I can't decide. I'm less keen on the fun and bubbly because I find a lot of juniors have a hard time transitioning to doing mature stuff when that image becomes ingrained. I also don't know if it's really his personality/fit to do cute.

Actually I like his last season's SP. If he is to get one new program, it should be FS. Repeating a program three times in a row is a bit noxious anyway, especially for a junior ;)

I expect at least a new LP too since the Mozart was used for two seasons already, so it's a good time for a brand new start! :) I'm also one who liked Run Boy Run alot. I thought it had a nice beat, which Stephen could use as cues. I think the more defined beats helps with him remembering all the little choreographed movements and gestures.

Haleth

On the Ice
Scratching my head over an individual claiming in another thread that they read somewhere Lee is now taking over for Brian in coaching Stephen this season. Not sure if they mean Brian would take the secondary role, or be taken off at least on paper. Regardless, I remain very skeptical since I've not seen anything outside of that thread that the arrangement Brian and Lee had in co-coaching was going to change. For example, any interviews I've seen since the Olympics in which Brian mentions Stephen suggests he's guiding him with the TCC team.

I figured the people here might have heard if any recent changes had been made. I suspect that the person is merely remembering incorrectly.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Scratching my head over an individual claiming in another thread that they read somewhere Lee is now taking over for Brian in coaching Stephen this season. Not sure if they mean Brian would take the secondary role, or be taken off at least on paper. Regardless, I remain very skeptical since I've not seen anything outside of that thread that the arrangement Brian and Lee had in co-coaching was going to change. For example, any interviews I've seen since the Olympics in which Brian mentions Stephen suggests he's guiding him with the TCC team.

I figured the people here might have heard if any recent changes had been made. I suspect that the person is merely remembering incorrectly.

I believe that Lee was Stephen's primary coach in the past, with Brian as the secondary coach. I know someone said that recently they switched to Brian being his primary coach (I can't confirm that). But switching to Lee as primary now - that sounds totally wrong.

fierysky

Rinkside

I'm surprise too. I mean I'm new to being a Stephen fan, but I've been rummaging through the internet for *any* information on Stephen and it's the first time I've heard of it. And trust me, I've been looking for any tiny piece of info these last few weeks. :laugh: haha. Also, in this recent interview, http://fs-gossips.com/brian-orser-personally-i-prefer-mature-skating, Brian still indicated Stephen was his student. This was in May after the announcement of Medvedeva's switch. By then Brian already knew about both Jin and Brown.

I personally don't see why Brian would stop coaching Stephen? I mean even if he is going to take a back seat and give the heavy lifting to Lee, I still think he would be involved in Stephen's training one way or another, and supervise his development. I keep getting the impression that Brian has a special affection for Stephen, because he's the first student that he was there for from the beginning. Most of his other student came to him much older and established.

I can however, see Lee being the one travelling with Stephen to events though. I think Brian will have his plate full with his senior students this coming season.

lovaticcanada

On the Ice
I think that it is a lot easier to make the switch the upcoming season. Brian will have his hands full with senior grand prix, so I do expect to see Lee travel with Stephen to events, except for nationals, jr grand prix final/worlds (if he qualifies). I also noticed earlier this season, Brian was listed as primary coach, but there hasn't been any confirmation until he is old enough to get an ISU bio page later this year.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker

That's good to hear! However some people (mostly Youtube commenters) hated it. The problem is that not everyone's a Woodkid fan. He'll likely keep it though he was really quite inconsistent with it.

Thank you! I'm super happy to be here. :yahoo:

The wait is a painful new experience for me haha. But! If Stephen makes it to Junior World's we'll get a longer season than before since it takes place in March. I think he usually ends his competitions season at Nationals? Which is in Jan? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I agree with using well known music. But what style? Do you guys think he should try something epic? classical? fun? modern? Maybe a safe warhorse? Gosh I can't decide. I'm less keen on the fun and bubbly because I find a lot of juniors have a hard time transitioning to doing mature stuff when that image becomes ingrained. I also don't know if it's really his personality/fit to do cute.

Not quite. Stephen normally had a competition after Nationals. In pre-novice it was the Canada Winter Games in February 2015. In novice it was Coupe du Printemps in March 2016. In junior it was Bavarian Open in February 2017. This past season was the first that he didn't have any events post-Nationals. I think the fed might have just wanted him to focus on preparing for junior competitions, instead of trying to modify his senior programs for an international advanced novice event in April.

Stephen seems to be following David Wilson and Gadbois for choreography. They don't really do cute, do they? I'm sure he'll end up with a Bublé program somewhere down the road. :) Though it'd be cool if he could also skate to Russian music.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I wonder if what was really meant was Lee will be traveling with him to JGPs and such. Brian might not be able to travel to both and having a primary travel coach could be useful.

Haleth

On the Ice
I really liked the SP! If he keeps it I'll be fine with that. But since the Mozart's been around for a couple seasons I hope they let him do something fresh. I say that as a Mozart fan.

I guess we'll be seeing if the coaching on paper has changed soon enough once they update NextGen page and maybe entry lists? Idk.

Haleth

On the Ice
Also did you hear about the rumour that Joseph Phan might be coming to try out at TCC? It's from TSL so def needs a grain of salt, but this obviously is more of an issue for junior men and (I suspect) Lee's skaters, since I assume Lee might be training Joseph?

I like Joseph as a skater and he seems like a nice kid, but I wonder how loaded Lee will be with Stephe's debut and Jason just arrived, though he's lost a student or two (the pair team)?

Whoops! Sorry for the double post!

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Yup Mozart is definitely going to go. It was a good program. He went clean or nearly clean with it several times and won the junior national title with it.

I'd like to hope the rumour about Joseph coming to TCC is false. He has a really close relationship with Yvan Desjardins. And he's also close to his training mates like the Decelles sisters. His family is in the Montreal area and he's a high school student so it really doesn't make sense to relocate now. Maybe down the line when he's done with school. Cricket Club will still be crowded though.

StephenGfan

Final Flight

I am ashamed to admit i have done this before. I just really want new content from him. :drama::slink:

StephenGfan

Final Flight
Thank goodness about the age limit raise being denied *phew* I was actually worried for a minute.

I didnt worry about it, if it actually pass, all the juniors would still compete at 2022, and Stephen will be good no matter what, he is not a time bomb, like other skaters, he is building good foundation

StephenGfan

Final Flight
I agree He should tweak and keep his SP and obviously pick a new FS (I am not against recycled programs but using one for more than two seasons is boring and not very innovative to me no matter who it is or how good it is) I just hope he doesn't use any classical music for his FS period this season.

StephenGfan

Final Flight
I didnt worry about it, if it actually pass, all the juniors would still compete at 2022, and Stephen will be good no matter what, he is not a time bomb, like other skaters, he is building good foundation

oh i see so the grandfatherclause rule would have been applied to stephen.

lovaticcanada

On the Ice
Also, we have confirmation that Brian is listed first for the coaches, instead of Lee. Although I do expect him to split time (or be a team effort) since Brian will have many new students this summer.