Stephen Gogolev | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Stephen Gogolev

icetug

Medalist
Out of curiosity, how likely is Gogolev to medal at his first JGP?

I'd say he has quite good chance :)

Roman Savosin is the most serious contender for gold, though Andrew Torgashev and Mitsuki Sumoto are fairly strong. Egor Rukhin and Daniel Grassl should't be ignored as well.

Anyway I expect a brilliant debut of Stephen. :cheer:

-------------EDIT-------------------

I forgot contenders that count the most: Camden Pulkinen and Joseph Phan, of course. Probably because I wish Stephen the easiest way to gold :laugh:

LadyB

Record Breaker
I really can't wait. He's got the tools to shake up the Junior Men's competition. Love the Russian boys too. I've got a feeling I'm gonna particularly enjoy the boys next season. :agree:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
OP updated based on the new ISU bio info. Next season's programs

SP: "Run Boy Run" by Yoann Lemoine performed by Woodkid; choreographed by Mary Angela Larmer
FS: Sherlock Holmes (soundtrack) by Hans Zimmer; choreographed by David Wilson

StephenGfan

Final Flight
OP updated based on the new ISU bio info. Next season's programs

SP: "Run Boy Run" by Yoann Lemoine performed by Woodkid; choreographed by Mary Angela Larmer
FS: Sherlock Holmes (soundtrack) by Hans Zimmer; choreographed by David Wilson
you beat me too it. :)

fierysky

Rinkside
I'm pleased with the program choices. :) I've always felt Run Boy Run could be even better after some further polishing, and could use another season. I'm excited to see if there will be any tweaks.

And Sherlock Holmes is a great choice for him. The soundtrack can be both dramatic and quirky/fun at the same time. So excited for tomorrow and Sat. I hope someone will archive the stream since I might not be able to make it for either the SP or FP live. :(

Separately, looking at his ISU bio, it seems Stephen has grown a little taller. Hopefully his spurt will go smoothly. :pray: And I was surprised to see his birthplace listed as Toronto. I guess his family moved to Yekaterinburg and back again?

fierysky

Rinkside
I don't know what to say except wow! :eeking:

Everything is new and improved about him, all the way down to his new blades. New look, new height (those long legs!), new maturity in his skating, better speed etc. And his throws himself into the program more now. Just gorgeous. And most people Twitter seemed impressed.

I'll need to get used to his new costume though. Not sure I like it yet. :laugh:

I'm so excited to see his FS.

lovaticcanada

On the Ice
The free was somewhat rough with the errors in the step sequence, but at least his jumps improved from nationals when he popped into the 2Lz, and did the waltz jump. I know this is the first summer competition, but he easily finished in first place ahead of his two major competitors for junior worlds, and his first junior grand prix is in less than a month.

icetug

Medalist
Just rewatched Stephen's SP from Minto and Nationals simultaneously. Gosh, he's improved so much since January! He's not a boy anymore, his body movement is so mature and gesture elaborated. And I simply love the combination spin :love:

The program itself has been changed a lot, no wonder why he had problems with the place to start ;) I'm glad he kept "Run boy run", it's so energetic and suits him perfectly. The costume is a bit Nathan's Vera Wang style, I like it (thou FS's more :laugh:).

I think he's ready to conquer the world :thumbsup:
However, it's good to know there is some time left till his first JGP event as his FS still needs to be worked on.

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
After I saw his SP in Minto, I am soooo hooked! He is stunning! :eeking::luv17:

fierysky

Rinkside
If he wins the jgpf and the world junior title will he be the youngest to do so?

I'm not sure about the jgpf. But he would not be for the junior worlds. The 1997 junior world's took place in late November - early December '96, so Plushenko won the title when he was 14 and slightly shy of 1 month old. Even if Stephen wins, he would be 14 and a bit over 2 months old. It's close but yah.