2016 Dance Chicago | Golden Skate

2016 Dance Chicago

purplebabe

Rinkside
Has anyone heard about the brand new ice dance and pairs competition called Dance Chicago happening next week? Does anyone know who's going?

Last edited by a moderator:

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
On FSUniverse there is information that Hawayek/Baker, Thomas/Eaton, Manta/Johnson and Biechler/Dodge (all from USA) are going to compete there (thanks to Sylvia who provided this information). Don't know anything about teams from other countries as I don't have access to the Kiss & Cry threads on FSU.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Don't know anything about teams from other countries as I don't have access to the Kiss & Cry threads on FSU.

Muramoto & Reed
Moscheni & Lukacs
Maxwell & Devereaux
Ponomaryova & Altukhov
Mori & Suzuki
Tran & Saulius
Dufour & Russell

In addition to the teams you listed:
Hawayek & Baker
Thomas & Eaton
Manta & Johnson
Biechler & Dodge

It's a good senior field for the summer! There are juniors & novices as well. None of the currently assigned JGP teams in the junior event. Though this might be a good comparison for the newer/lower junior dance teams in the hunt for open U.S. JGP spots.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Thanks a lot, Ice Dance. I am especially interested in Muramoto/Reed and Hawayek/Baker. The return of Moscheni/Lukacs, as well as the other USA teams are also interesting. Hopefully results will be available to public in some form. I even dare to hope for some music news.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Hawayek/Baker's score looks okay for the beginning of the season, considering what kind of competition this is. I was expecting higher scores from Muramoto/Reed, but we'll see what score they get for their FD and what happens later in the season. Last season they seemed like a team that could improve their results even more quite quickly - PCS wise and overall. Perhaps I was mistaken - hope not.

Is there any video of Hawayek and Baker? Score looks very healthy.
There is a slight chance that some video will be available later if someone in attendance filmed and is going to upload it somewhere. This competition is not streamed, so no "official" videos.

Last edited:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Hawayek/Baker's score looks okay for the beginning of the season, considering what kind of competition this is. I was expecting higher scores from Muramoto/Reed, but we'll see what score they get for their FD and what happens later in the season. Last season they seemed like a team that could improve their results even more quite quickly - PCS wise and overall. Perhaps I was mistaken - hope not.

I think I will wait until a more international competition to worry about Muramoto & Reed. They moved up to third here during the FD, and they are competing in the U.S. against a slew of U.S. teams. Also this is M&R's debut, and debuts are all about the learning process. My guess is that they learned something about their SD here and it will wind up being a positive experience for them in the long run. (Even if I have difficulty swallowing the idea of lower PCS scores for these two than Manta & Johnson in the SD).

beebee51

On the Ice
Country
United-States
This FD is boring to me--I don't like the monotonous unchanging tempo. I felt this way about most of the soporific Lake Placid FDs as well. Seems obvious to me these teams are trying to channel P/C and can't pull it off. Jean-Luc, while a really nice skater is no Guillaume Cizeron (but then, who is?). At least two of H/Bs lifts look like same old, same old. And I did not see one interesting highlight in this program. That was a big criticism of mine at Lake Placid as well.

On the plus side, Kaitlin's dress is lovely. Glad to see she's ditched the empire waist of recent seasons. The current look is much more flattering.

I'm praying that the top teams e.g., C/B, W/P, Shibs, and even P/C bring some mojo back!

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
This FD is boring to me--I don't like the monotonous unchanging tempo. I felt this way about most of the soporific Lake Placid FDs as well. Seems obvious to me these teams are trying to channel P/C and can't pull it off. Jean-Luc, while a really nice skater is no Guillaume Cizeron (but then, who is?). At least two of H/Bs lifts look like same old, same old. And I did not see one interesting highlight in this program. That was a big criticism of mine at Lake Placid as well.

On the plus side, Kaitlin's dress is lovely. Glad to see she's ditched the empire waist of recent seasons. The current look is much more flattering.

I'm praying that the top teams e.g., C/B, W/P, Shibs, and even P/C bring some mojo back!

I've never been a big fan of Hawayek and Baker, but also never felt they tried to channel P/C whom I adore dearly. H/B are good at soft and lyrical pieces from classical music, so their established character is different from P/C's contemporary and nuanced programs. I guess you prefer ice dance programs to strong and dynamic music and don't like Liszt's Liebestraum. Although Mishkutionok/Dmitriev's program is not ice dance program, it has been considered a masterpiece by skating fans. Therefore, I don't think the delicate and fluid music sounds monotonous and boring at all. As I sense your dismissive tone in your post, you seem to be not willing to give a credit to the program and ice dancers at the event as well as the event. I think the lifts are well integrated into the program, so I strongly disagree with your claim that the program has no single highlight. All teams you mention have their charm, so I don't get why you hope for them to bring their mojo back as if theirs were long lost.