Alina Zagitova | Page 1063 | Golden Skate

Alina Zagitova

lopsilceci

On the Ice
Country
Mexico
So great to hear confirmation, once and for all, that Alina is here to stay. That should keep people from speculating. We are very lucky to have the japanese media :laugh:

Figure skating has not been the same without her lately and I have a feeling that we still haven't seen the best from her :biggrin:
Do you think she will repeat this season's programs or reinvent herself and get new ones? :)

lesnar001

Record Breaker
So great to hear confirmation, once and for all, that Alina is here to stay. That should keep people from speculating. We are very lucky to have the japanese media :laugh:

Figure skating has not been the same without her lately and I have a feeling that we still haven't seen the best from her :biggrin:
Do you think she will repeat this season's programs or reinvent herself and get new ones? :)

I'm hoping for reinvention in some ways.

Although I would certainly not mind seeing Me Voy again as her SP.
With a few tweaks here or there for "Zagi V2.0."
But I thought the music was a great fit for her this past season.

lopsilceci

On the Ice
Country
Mexico

Yes! I also wouldn't mind at all if she kept both Me Voy and Cleopatra... Maybe with a few changes to maximize scoring potential, add new things etc.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
That losing weight theory is only one person's opinion.
A theory that I do not subscribe to at all.

I think her becoming more muscular is a good thing.
She has very powerful looking legs even if she is not stocky.

I want those powerful muscles to be the catalyst for her doing harder jumps.
Losing weight could very well be counterproductive. She could lose some of her strength.

I'd rather see her remain quadless than subject herself to losing weight like that.

Don’t hate me, but I don’t think all muscle weight is good for all figure skaters.
I remember one male skater said that they have to try NOT to gain too much muscle.
Even male figure skaters tend to be quite small in general. If we take into account the most consistent of them, like Yuzuru or Nathan, they also tend to be not too tall (compared to average male height) and quite lean.

For a figure skater, I think, their bodies need to be in a certain balance of being dry and muscular (in some parts).
I also think the body thing is very individual and every athlete understands for themselves, which direction throws them off and makes jumps, spins less comfortable, and which makes things easier.

Zagipatra

On the Ice
Don’t hate me, but I don’t think all muscle weight is good for all figure skaters.
I remember one male skater said that they have to try NOT to gain too much muscle.
Even male figure skaters tend to be quite small in general. If we take into account the most consistent of them, like Yuzuru or Nathan, they also tend to be not too tall (compared to average male height) and quite lean.

For a figure skater, I think, their bodies need to be in a certain balance of being dry and muscular (in some parts).
I also think the body thing is very individual and every athlete understands for themselves, which direction throws them off and makes jumps, spins less comfortable, and which makes things easier.

Yes, I agree!! I think that Alina just has to lose a couple of pounds (it's not like she's overweight but I do think that her upper body has to be a bit leaner). I am so excited though :)

zounger

Medalist

Gain for the sake of gain it's not helpful. For quads (to be your body friendly to them) what you need is your mass to be distributed as close to axis of your rotations. That's why we don't see many male skaters to have "manly" wide shoulders and strong muscular quadriceps. What prevails is as you mentioned body types like, Yuzuru, Nathan, Boyeang etc. Triple axel is partly an exception because of forward take off.

In Alina's case the gain can be done having in mind some loose later. You get more muscular because you want to increase the height of the jump. You change a bit your muscles qualitatively and in mass. Then when the time will come for the actual training for quads (if that's the goal anyway) you will start to loose some, to adjust the rotation. All this in parallel with necessary changes in technic of rotation, leg, arm position etc. In Alina's case, she is not pre-puberty any more, you cannot (the way I see it) achieve the big jumps by just loosing weight an bringing your mass distribution closer to axis. Rely only on speed of rotation. A lot more work needs to be done in many directions.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
It will be a major challenge for both Alina and Dudakov/Rozanov to learn and teach ultra-si.

Alina did gain some weight, lower training intensity, rich life on tours, etc.

Personally, I'd like all of the most Awesome And Amazing Aces to learn a triksel, and by extension a quad.

We'll see what needs to, and will be, done to reach this higher level of competitiveness.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Gain for the sake of gain it's not helpful. For quads (to be your body friendly to them) what you need is your mass to be distributed as close to axis of your rotations. That's why we don't see many male skaters to have "manly" wide shoulders and strong muscular quadriceps. What prevails is as you mentioned body types like, Yuzuru, Nathan, Boyeang etc. Triple axel is partly an exception because of forward take off.

In Alina's case the gain can be done having in mind some loose later. You get more muscular because you want to increase the height of the jump. You change a bit your muscles qualitatively and in mass. Then when the time will come for the actual training for quads (if that's the goal anyway) you will start to loose some, to adjust the rotation. All this in parallel with necessary changes in technic of rotation, leg, arm position etc. In Alina's case, she is not pre-puberty any more, you cannot (the way I see it) achieve the big jumps by just loosing weight an bringing your mass distribution closer to axis. Rely only on speed of rotation. A lot more work needs to be done in many directions.

Agree, I just think those things depend on a variety of factors, and a certain balance of height, weight, muscle distribution, etc.
I think improving the height and distance can not be achieved solely by losing weight too, so there’s probably a lot of work planned ahead.

I was glad to see the training process of the quad flip, I think it can be possible for Alina *praying hands emoji* (I don’t want to say too much though, don’t wanna jinx it).

paji15

On the Ice

I would LOVE to se Me Voy next season as well. That program was so different and definifelly didn’t reach Its full potencial. It’s already amazing but it might be absolutelly spectacular. That’s the only thing I’m a bit sad about with her early end of the season, that we didn’t get to see it grow! :)

paji15

On the Ice
Agree, I just think those things depend on a variety of factors, and a certain balance of height, weight, muscle distribution, etc.
I think improving the height and distance can not be achieved solely by losing weight too, so there’s probably a lot of work planned ahead.

I was glad to see the training process of the quad flip, I think it can be possible for Alina *praying hands emoji* (I don’t want to say too much though, don’t wanna jinx it).

I would sign that! It’s definitelly not just about the weight. She is incredibly powerful, there is of course a little bit of weight losing she gain during her break, but I don’t think it’s Impossible. Especially 4F. Her triple is huge. It’s a long way, technic change for quad, a lot of drill... I would even say that in her case it’s more than anything about mindset. It’s fear, a lot of falls, insecurity and many other stuff.

But in the end, I do believe that if this is a goal then her team has some complex plan for her. Remember that she thought Eteri is crazy and It’s impossible when she told her she is going to jump all the jumps in the second half? :laugh:

paji15

On the Ice
For sure.

Now can Alina add the 3A and or quad for next season? If she does she will have to lose about six pounds right after puberty that will be hard because she has more muscle mass than she used to.

I don’t think it’s such a big deal. She probably needs to loose some now, but it’s just a little bit of what she gain during her break from intense training, not weight she gain by growth. With intense training it will go naturally. She is not the first one who had a break and gain. She doesn’t need to be anorectic or underweight for it. She always used to have muscles, even when she was junior. She wasn’t one of those girls with legs like chopsticks. It’s not a bad thing per se. Too mascular or broad figure can be a problem, but that’s not her case. She is small girl. All those talks about her weight are overdramatic. Of course junior girls are the first one to jump quads, because the best girls in the world was trained differently, prepared for the Olympic, not in quad training. Alina was trained to land 3Lz-3Lo and all jumps in the second half. It’s just development of sport. It was the same with triples back in time. It’s difficult to learn in older age, but not impossible. Since now, girls will have slowly that secured quads that they will not be losing them with maturity.

And after all, Miki Ando and Tonya Harding, seniors with those jumps, were no way the tinniest girls in the field! They were mature ladies, not teeny tinny girls. This talk that it’s impossible for woman is only because very small Russian girls come up with it now. I’m not saying Alina will jump it, that’s on her. But her body is not that huge obstacle.

zounger

Medalist
I prefer new programs each season. About Me Voy I think it closed its circle. Also Cleopatra, even if I can see an open door here in a way.

Finley

Record Breaker
A quote from an interview with Tiffany Z. and Jon G. -

- This season you have an arbitrary dance under Survivor - a theme from last year’s show Alina Zagitova . Reveal the secret, is there a connection in this?

Zagorski: Many thought so, but not really. We have a great director this season - Christopher Dean, and this is his idea. He offered us this music, and we immediately liked it.

Gureiro: I think the connection is that last season we often heard this song when we saw Alina’s performances. Tiffany and Alina often correspond, she watches over us and congratulates us. It's funny. Then, when we saw her performance in St. Petersburg before the hockey match, we wrote to her on Instagram that she had coolly updated her number.

Zagorski: At the French Grand Prix, we performed together, and Alina specially arrived at the rink early to see our training session and filmed on video. It was funny and very nice.