Alina Zagitova | Page 1007 | Golden Skate

Alina Zagitova

Finley

Record Breaker
Why retirement ? Being at the GPF means you are a top skater among the six stronger or best.
Alina still has a chance to medal and everything can happen.
Her goal is to skate clean her both programs not to compete to win the gold.
She knows she needs to increase the difficulties if she wants to compete with the 3A but I think she will take it easy this year after a stressful saison.
Maybe she will try a quad later but she needs to prepare her body and be ready mentally.

Yeah, our girl is not retiring. Not this season. Probably not next season either. And if she keeps going that long she might as well go one more and see if she makes the Olympic team. After that I can definitely see her retiring and focusing on a career and/or maybe continuing her education. If I was her I'd do both.

All of this is contingent on her staying as healthy as possible and not having to deal with any serious long-term injuries.

As for increasing her difficulty, I think if she can she will. Thinking back to when Mirai Nagasu decided to get a triple axel? If ever there was a skater whose competitive career was dead and buried by her own federation it was Mirai. US Fed tried so hard to retire her and she would not quit! It took her eight years to get back to the Olympics. And that triple axel had a lot to do with the US fed doing the right thing and sending her. I'm not sure, but I think she said she worked on it for two years to get it fairly consistent. She also needed surgery after the Olympics to repair the damage to her hip she acquired while training for that jump. :( I'm sure if you asked her she'd say it was all worth it. She landed that axel on Olympic ice and got that Team Bronze!

Mirai is older than Alina and they are two very different skaters. I don't know if Alina would incur that kind of damage from upping her tech while she is still just a teenager. If so, I don't know if Alina would be willing to put her body through all that to fight for the chance to possibly win something she already has? Especially with the identical circumstances surrounding the competition (no flags, no colors, no anthem). I know I'm repeating myself but everything I think I know about Alina as a person and competitor tells me that she would do it.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
realistically, the only people who can score more than Alina are those with 2+ quads or 3+ 3A, and not even all of them are capable of surpassing her, because they can to falter sometimes.
Alina can have not-so-good skates too, but she's been getting better and better in her jumps, SS, her interpretation.
She's growing an advantage in PCS, while maintaining a highest possible TES content without ultra-c elements.

It just happens that Russia has 4 out of 6 senior ladies with these elements, the other two would be Elizabet and Rika.
When the time comes, and if she feels like it, she might add something, but realistically, being the strongest skater without these jumps is quite far from being close to retirement.

I think Daniil explained the reasons Alina did not learn quads as a child quite well in his interview. When Alina was learning her jumps they weren't even aware themselves quads would be a thing.
She a 100% could've trained them, have they known this would be something realistic.
The reason Alina doesn't have quads is quite obvious to me - they decided to focus on olympics that year, when Trusova was first learning them. Alina could've trained quads too, but that would probably mean less proper training for an olympic year and possible injuries. They made a right call imo.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I think Alina is taking advantage of the opportunities that are coming her way. "Make hay while the sun shines." Competitive skating can't last forever for anyone and when she is done she will need something else that she enjoys doing. Hopefully involving (but not limited too) lots of skating shows for the sake of her fans. She is smart to build on her popularity now and lay the groundwork for her future. As a fan I'm very excited for her and what her future might hold.

Dave Lease annoys me to no end sometimes. The only way Alina doesn't finish out the season is if she isn't named to the Euro & World team. I know that is a real possibility, but anything can happen and I don't see her giving up on herself and her chances. She can fight for that 3rd spot!

If Alina isn't named to the Euro & World teams then she can focus her energy on the shows she is doing and training and whatever else comes along.

This is 100% nothing more than my opinion: I think this season was/is a 'stay relevant' season for Alina. Stay close to the top, stay competitive, stay healthy and uninjured. Maintain and improve the technical skills that she has and grow as much as possible artistically and emotionally. Let's see how far she can get this season with that strategy.

Next season, everything can change. We all know that. My personal belief is that will have to increase her technical difficulty to be competitive for a spot on the Olympic team. Ultimately that will be her decision. She will be 18, an adult. I could understand completely if she decided she wanted to focus her energy elsewhere and explore all the new possibilities that are available to her.

Especially given the likelihood that Russia will not be allowed to compete under it's own flag. (I don't want to open a debate about that in this thread. Or give my opinion. It is what it is.) The chance to compete as a Russian Athlete at the Olympics and see her flag raised and sing her anthem would have been a HUGE motivation to get to Beijing. (Russia/OAR has a fairly good chance at the team Gold Medal, imo.) I guess we will know more after the final decision on December 9th?

If I was betting money I'd bet on Alina fighting until the end to make her second Olympic team. She has nothing to lose and everything to gain. She will only be 19 years old! I just can't see her not going for it with everything she has.

Many good points.

TSL is annoying to know and I can't even handle them in bits and pieces.

Alina should not even consider retiring for a couple more years and then only if she's outside the top 10 of the Russian girls which is highly unlikely considering her technical expertise in the sport and how high she can score even when she's not at her best.

I think Russia is cleared to have their flag back for the Summer Olympics next year. That is good news after the appalling cheating scandal they were caught in years ago.

When Alina on her world title 9 months ago did she get the sing the Russian national anthem? I assume so.

paji15

On the Ice
I wonder, why Alina today add 3Lz3T in the end of her program run thru? :scratch2: I mean she can jump it only in case she would screw up 2A and will not be able to add it even after her second 2A, which is not likely. Also It's not a back up plan in case her 3lz3o combo would not work out, because she can do just two triples twice and in her case its Flip and Lutz, she cant replace 3Lo by 3T. Toeloop is always second jump so either she will not do 2A3T or 3Lz3T?

I dont wanna judge but it seems to me only like messing with her head in case something would happen. I would not like to see her jump 3T after second Lz in case her LzLo combo will not work out and ended up with repeat jump. But team tutberitze for sure know what they are doing. Im just confused I guess :laugh: And hope she will not need back up plans at all for sure!!

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I wonder, why Alina today add 3Lz3T in the end of her program run thru? :scratch2: I mean she can jump it only in case she would screw up 2A and will not be able to add it even after her second 2A, which is not likely. Also It's not a back up plan in case her 3lz3o combo would not work out, because she can do just two triples twice and in her case its Flip and Lutz, she cant replace 3Lo by 3T. Toeloop is always second jump so either she will not do 2A3T or 3Lz3T?

I dont wanna judge but it seems to me only like messing with her head in case something would happen. I would not like to see her jump 3T after second Lz in case her LzLo combo will not work out and ended up with repeat jump. But team tutberitze for sure know what they are doing. Im just confused I guess :laugh: And hope she will not need back up plans at all for sure!!

It's not unusual, she did that in other runthru's as well, and I think Anna did that too even if it was third 3T. It's just for backup I think.

paji15

On the Ice
It's not unusual, she did that in other runthru's as well, and I think Anna did that too even if it was third 3T. It's just for backup I think.

I know she is adding like jumps after combo, like 3Lz-3Lo-3Lo or so. Sometime multiple combos but on in runthru. Kinda back up plan in back up plan then. :laugh: Would find more useful to do another 3Lz-3Lo. But Team Tutberidze are pros not me. When Anna did it too, then it’s probably really good. I’ll let it to them. It just confused me, thanks. ��

Anyway it looked nice. She delivered!:luv17:

paji15

On the Ice
Many good points.

TSL is annoying to know and I can't even handle them in bits and pieces.

Alina should not even consider retiring for a couple more years and then only if she's outside the top 10 of the Russian girls which is highly unlikely considering her technical expertise in the sport and how high she can score even when she's not at her best.

I think Russia is cleared to have their flag back for the Summer Olympics next year. That is good news after the appalling cheating scandal they were caught in years ago.

When Alina on her world title 9 months ago did she get the sing the Russian national anthem? I assume so.
Russians are allowed to skate under their flag for Summer Games? I missed that info! That might be a motivation for Alina then. Especially as she is planning to visite Tokyo next year and she will get the opportunity to see her flag there then.

Finley

Record Breaker
Alina wins the National Athlete of the Year!

https://twitter.com/teamzagitova/status/1202669997945970692

From FSO - https://www.sovsport.ru/figure/news/2:926233

“Soviet Sport - Results of the Year”. People’s athlete - Alina Zagitova ⠀
The final winner of the national award “Soviet Sport - Results of the Year” was determined. ⠀

The ceremony is currently taking place in Golden Palace Restaurant in Moscow. ⠀

The winner of the special prize in the nomination “People’s Athlete” was determined by simple voting fans, which was held by the All-Russian Center for the Study of Public Opinion (VTsIOM). According to its results, the third place was shared by hockey player Alexander Ovechkin and football player Artem Dziuba. Second place went to MMA fighter Khabib Nurmagomedov. And the victory was celebrated by skater Alina Zagitova - the reigning champion of the world, Europe and the Olympic Games. ⠀

This was not an online vote and can I just say that I am properly stunned to see Alina beat out Ovechkin and Khabib N. :shocked:

colormyworld240

Medalist
All I want from Alina is to skater her SP like she did at test skates. It's a gorgeous program, Daniil's best imo, and I want her to show it's full potential internationally. I think that SP at test skates, along with her Olympic SP, are her career best. They're definitely my favourite, at least.

AkikoNana

Rinkside
She jumped Flip instead Rippon Flip...does she wants to keep door open for recovering the combo or she’s working for something big regarding the Flip jump? 😎

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
This was not an online vote and can I just say that I am properly stunned to see Alina beat out Ovechkin and Khabib N. :shocked:

Um... who's Khabib again? ;) Just that one ordinary the best ever UFC champ? :eeking:
Power of Alina, wooow.. Move over Khabib ;)