Alina Zagitova | Page 1011 | Golden Skate

Alina Zagitova

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Alina crying in the K&C broke my heart. Bad skates happen, but she should not let that break her confidence and just move on for the next competition. I hope Alina finds the right source of motivation that will help her to fight in the competitions. She had amazing practices every day, so the jumps were there, she just needs to gain her inner fighter back. I believe in you, Alina!

silveruskate

On the Ice
Alina's jumps in practice are beautiful. We still love her programs, and I hope her team helps her forget this event...Alina knows how to bounce back.

zounger

Medalist
As short I can be now since don’t have much time. Watching Alina live both after SP and the morning practice this FS looks more of mental approach thing. She was off from the warm up. From morning to evening I do not think her body changed or her jumps got worse.

The fallow year might be a good approach but Alina doesn’t have that luxury. That’s not an option for her in my opinion for various reasons I don’t want to expand...

Maybe later I will come with a more detailed comment or maybe not.

I keep both programs not only SP. who ever complains about Alina’s posture or speed and I have as benchmark her SP, should probably start watching hockey on grass. And she is indeed beautiful and statuesque like a doll. Different kind of beautiful from the other girls.

And Alina is for the difficult we are waiting the next competition...

patee

On the Ice
Country
Hungary
I might not be popular with this post but I saw this coming...
She had basically no chance to medal and she had to skate last. I'm impressed she held it together as well as she did. Good fight from her, I'm proud. I will pretend this FS did not happen, and will only remember the fantastic SP.

I'm very grateful for Eteri for what she's done for Alina but I thought maybe the pattern of tossing aside her older champions for new ones is going to change.
I don't know why I thought that. But it's okay. Others have gone trough that, Alina will have to as well.

Possibly triggering content follows in brackets:
(I don't see the point of skating in Team Tut anymore. It's the same situtation as with EM. Either retire or change coaches. I'm sorry but that's my opinion.)

Anyway, I love Alina and will support whatever she does.

I don't think she'd ever do what EM did. She'd rather retire but would never ever leave her team. I'm hundred percent sure about that. It's not a mission impossible for her at all to stay competitive against the field, even her younger teammates. Had she been able to skate like she did at the test skates, she would've made it to the podium. How strong and confident she was there! I wonder why she started to doubt herself after that... :scratch2: (If it's about doubting herself at all, I don't know... but certainly it's something mental.) Anyway, I wish she'd find her inner strength and motivation again that last. On the other hand, I'd understand if she decided to move on in her life. She has a lot of opportunities to choose from... but personally I'd be unbearably sad if it happened... :cry:

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I think Alina leaving Eteri is something like Yuzuru leaving Brian, highly improbable and unnecessary. Both won everything they ever wanted with their coaches, but they are losing to new generation.

In Yuzu‘s case it’s Nathan Chen, in Alina‘s it’s three full fledged female Nathan Chens.

I also don’t think a bad skate is a good reason to leave, Liza would’ve left Mishin 200 times by now, if that guided her decisions, she had very big ups and downs, a hell of a rocky road. But I don’t think if she left Mishin it would’ve helped her. Similarly, I think Alina’s at the right place, with the right coach.

if there’s one person who can fire up Alina mentally, I think it’s Eteri. She knows Alina better than anyone.

She’s probably in a little of a mental situation right now. I can imagine her being demotivated, because a) she won everything, she’s not motivated by medals and wins as much anymore.
Her only possible motivation I can personally see is another Olympic gold.

b) to aim for medals Alina has to learn new jumps, and maybe she feels like it’s too much work for too little of a gain

But I think those are the questions she needs to figure out herself, but I’ll be happy to look at her whatever journey she takes.

starbella

Rinkside
There is so much talk about Eteri abandoning her and how the technique no longer works but i dont think puberty is the issue here. I mean even with the 3A, she still managed to place second in the short program. I think its mostly her mental and it reminds me a lot of last season where she managed to slay her programs earlier in the season but struggled a lot during the GP. So i have a lot of faith in her and i just want her to skate her best regardless during RN and Worlds:)

NaVi

Medalist
Alina should take some comfort in knowing that almost everyone who saw her struggle in the free skate saw her do well in the short program... if I'm reading the instagram stories right, they showed the short programs during the ice resurfacing break after the ice dance event.

comixarma

Rinkside
Does anyone know if Alina wants to learn any of the big jumps?

I mean, Rika's the same age, and she's evolving with quads & 3A. I personally think Alina could do them... So I guess it's about her motivation

Has she made any indication/willingness to give them a go?

AkikoNana

Rinkside
Rika has worked on her 3A since she was novice...Alina not. She probably started to work on some quad (probably Flip) in her late junior but since the priority was to be competitive in the Olympic year, she focused on her normal jumps. She has 3Lutz-3Loop that Rika hasn’t...apart Sasha and Anya, no one is jumping that.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Does anyone know if Alina wants to learn any of the big jumps?

I mean, Rika's the same age, and she's evolving with quads & 3A. I personally think Alina could do them... So I guess it's about her motivation

Has she made any indication/willingness to give them a go?

Alina and her team probably didn't risk to train quad before the olympics, because that would cost too much time and effort that was put into her other training. Last eason she trained quad flip, there is a video of her jumping it in harness and she also spoke about it in one of the Shiseido interviews, but probably ceased it during the off-season. Later she mentioned that for safety purpose she would need to lose 3 kg to train quads again.

She definitely is capable of learning it, at normal circumstances her jumps are strong, the question is whether she wants to do it.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
it's really puzzling how every time Alina doesn't skate her best, people are quick to suggest a coaching change. But when she skates lights out, Eteri is doing a good job.

I think it was more nerves than regression in skills or puberty. Having to skate after Alyona might have spooked her.
Well, Alyona DID just set a world record against her teammates with quads. That's both amazing and scary.

If we know one thing about Alina, she owns comebacks and knows how to shine in most important events.
Olympics and Worlds 2019, hello. And she still gets an Olympic bonus.

comixarma

Rinkside
She definitely is capable of learning it, at normal circumstances her jumps are strong, the question is whether she wants to do it.

I totally agree. There's that amazing video of her practicing five triples in a row- and enjoying it! She's more than capable of adding quads to her arsenal

I hope she reconnects with that competitive joy again. I feel she's got so much more left under the hood

silveruskate

On the Ice
So sad to hear about the injury, I hope Alina gets better soon.

I think Alina can learn quads. It will take strong will on both sides. Learning it will take longer than it does for the 3A and the juniors/novices. If she wants to learn a quad then Alina is in the best place to do it. The main problem is that the youngsters around her can learn all these things so quickly, and it isn't easy to see the person you're learning with learn something in one month that takes you four.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
She looked so sad during that announcement at the gala, I hope she recovers soon:pray:

Shows how committed she still is to her sport, and how important audience appreciation is for her.

Three weeks of healing, recovery/recuperation to the more important than ever before National Championships.

BabySloth

On the Ice
Country
Hungary
She could barely hold her tears. :sad21: Take a rest Alina, you deserve it. Bad times will pass. :luv17: