Who will make it to the JGP final? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who will make it to the JGP final?

bosskil

Match Penalty
Looks like Russia is in better tactical position than Japan this year. The big move will be if Japan separates Honda and Kihira. Then I will have to reconsider
It needs to happen as soon as possible! :gaah::angry1:
Somebody please call Jpn Feds! :hopelessness:

kalee

On the Ice
It would be smart of the Japanese fed to move Rika Kihira or Marin Honda from Slovenia to Germany - the field is much weaker there. If one of them finishes third (a real possibility with Zagitova in the field) - they could be out of the final if Konstantinova is 2nd or higher in Germany (again, a real possibility given the weaker Japanese entries there)

Hmmm... Eun Soo Lim, Vivian Le and Yuna Shiraiwa a "weak" field? It won't be exactly a cakewalk for Gubanova & Konstantinova to go 1-2, even though the odds seem in favour of them doing it.

Putting either Marin or Rika into Germany would be like putting the final nail into the coffin on poor Yuna S's JGPF aspirations. I'll bet one of the reasons why they swapped Mako out in the first place was partially to keep both her and Yuna's chances alive, knowing that Yuna would probably be 3rd or below in Saransk.

Last edited:

nikros

Rinkside
Look at the list of season best scores, the first 6 positions are:

1 194.37 Alina ZAGITOVA RUS ISU JGP St. Gervais 2016 26.08.2016
2 187.81 Kaori SAKAMOTO JPN ISU JGP Yokohama 2016 11.09.2016
3 185.59 Anastasiia GUBANOVA RUS ISU JGP Czech Skate 2016 03.09.2016
4 185.51 Rika KIHIRA JPN ISU JGP Czech Skate 2016 03.09.2016
5 184.11 Marin HONDA JPN ISU JGP Yokohama 2016 11.09.2016
6 183.73 Polina TSURSKAYA RUS ISU JGP Cup of Mordovia 2016 17.09.2016

Those are ladies who deserve the final.

nikros

Rinkside
The season best for boys (junior only):

3 239.47 Jun Hwan CHA KOR ISU JGP Yokohama 2016 10.09.2016
4 232.83 Dmitri ALIEV RUS ISU JGP Czech Skate 2016 03.09.2016
5 228.33 Alexander SAMARIN RUS ISU JGP Cup of Mordovia 2016 16.09.2016
6 226.39 Vincent ZHOU USA ISU JGP Yokohama 2016 10.09.2016
7 223.60 Alexei KRASNOZHON USA ISU JGP Czech Skate 2016 03.09.2016
9 216.91 Alexey EROKHOV RUS ISU JGP Yokohama 2016 10.09.2016
10 212.04 Kazuki TOMONO JPN ISU JGP Yokohama 2016 10.09.2016
11 211.55 Roman SADOVSKY CAN ISU JGP Yokohama 2016 10.09.2016

Savosin is already in final (1+3).
Jun Hwan CHA and Aliev will possibly win their second events, and will be in final with 1+1. Samarin will be second after Jun Hwan CHA in Germany, and also will enter the final with 1+2.
Zhou will possibly win in Estonia and he is in final with 2+1.
KRASNOZHON will be the second in Slovenia, and his 2+2 is enough to enter the final.

Erokhov and Torgashev will be in Germany with Jun Hwan CHA and Samarin. To enter the final Erokhov should win the event, and Torgashev must be at list the second. I don't think that it is possible. Skirda will unlikely bit Aliev and Krasnozhon in Slovenia, he will be maximum third, 2+3 is not enogh for final. TOMONO has the fourth place now and Sadovsky is the fifth, even they will win their second events, they are not in final.

So the most possible list of finalists are: Savosin, Jun Hwan CHA, Aliev, Samarin, Zhou and KRASNOZHON.

The Finn

Record Breaker
Men

Savosin 26. Once Dima or Samarin or Cha wins his 2nd event Savosin is in for sure.
Cha 15. Most likely in.
Aliev 15. Most likely in.
Samarin 15. Most likely in

So there will be 2 spots left.

Current assignments
JGP Slovenia: Aliev, Krasnozhon, Skirda and Tomono.
JGP Estonia: Zhou, Gumennik, Shimada and Sadovsky.
JGP Germany: Cha, Samarin, Erokhov, Torgashev and Nadeau.

Zhou 13. At the moment he is the favourite at the JGP Estonia where the field is pretty weak. Atleast so it seems for now.
Krasnozhon 13. His 2nd event is JGP Slovenia where Aliev is the favourite. 2nd+2nd might be enough for him to make it to the final.
Torgashev 13. His 2nd event is JGP Germany where the field is really tough. Can't see him making it to the final.
Skirda 11. His 2nd event is JGP Slovenia. His chanches to make it to the final are really slim.
Erokhov 11. At the moment his 2nd event is JGP Germany where the field is really tough which is why I think Russia should put Erokhov to the JGP Estonia where he could very well win and make it to the final.
Shimada 11. His 2nd event is JGP Estonia where the field is weak but even if he will be 2nd it will not be enough for him to make it to the final.

So, I would say the JGP finalist are Savosin, Aliev, Cha, Samarin and two skaters from the trio of Zhou, Krasnozhon and Erokhov. If Russia doesn't put Erokhov to JGP Estonia then his chances are slim because currently Erokhov is assigned to skate against Cha and Samarin at the JGP Germany.

Last edited:

oleada

Record Breaker
Hmmm... Eun Soo Lim, Vivian Le and Yuna Shiraiwa a "weak" field? It won't be exactly a cakewalk for Gubanova & Konstantinova to go 1-2, even though the odds seem in favour of them doing it.

Putting either Marin or Rika into Germany would be like putting the final nail into the coffin on poor Yuna S's JGPF aspirations. I'll bet one of the reasons why they swapped Mako out in the first place was partially to keep both her and Yuna's chances alive, knowing that Yuna would probably be 3rd or below in Saransk.

It's an easier one than a field that includes Zagitova, Kihira and Honda (and Lim and Lozko, but the medalists here will likely be those 3) . Honda and Kihira both have silver medals and both of them cannot be first and qualify automatically. Even a second place will put them on the bubble, since it will depend on a tiebreaker and two silvers will lose to a gold and a bronze. I don't think Konstantinova has silver guaranteed by any means but she's already beaten Shiraiwa once, and Lim is unproven at this point (and lost to Kim earlier this year, who didn't medal in her events). Shiraiwa basically has little to no chance for the final, even if she wins her event. Le could be a spoiler, but her summer scores don't seem to indicate she's in great form.

Last edited:

The Finn

Record Breaker
Pairs

Most definitely in.
Mishina/Mirzoev 15.
Duskova/Bidar 15.

Most likely in.
Atakhanova/Spiridonov 13.

So, there are 3 spots left.

Current assignments.
JGP Estonia: Atakhanova/Spiridonov, Borisova/Sopot, Oganesian/Bardei, Ustimkina/Volodin and Liu/Johnson.
JGP Germany: Mishina/Mirzoev, Duskova/Bidar, Boikova/Kozlovskii (most likely, no official 2nd event yet), Oganesian/Bardei and Ustimkina/Volodin.

Boikova/Kozlovskii 13. They have a great chance to make it to the final but the field is really tough at the JGP Germany where they will most likely skate their 2nd event. 2nd & 4th would most likely be enough for them to make it to the final.
Borisova/Sopot 11. They can very well make it to the final but Kati needs to do better than what she did at Saransk because the field will be a bit tougher at JGP Estonia than what it was in Saransk. 3rd & 3rd would most likely be enough for them.
Liu/Johnson 11. Their 2nd event is JGP Estonia. I highly doubt they would beat any of the TOP teams there.
Oganesian/Bardei and Ustimkina/Volodin. Both teams will skate at the JGP Estonia and JGP Germany. The field is especially tough at Germany. Because these teams will skate at the same events I think it is pretty unlikely that they both would make it to the final.

So, I would say that the finalist are Mishina/Mirzoev, Duskova/Bidar, Atakhanova/Spiridonov, Boikova/Kozlovskii, Borisova/Sopot and either Oganesian/Bardei or Ustimkina/Volodin.

The Finn

Record Breaker
Ice dance.

Abachkina/Thauron 26
Carreira/Ponomarenko 26
Loboda/Drozd 15
Parsons/Parsons 15
Mcnamara/Carpenter 15
Shpilevaya/Smirnov 13

The only team that potentially could upset one of the above teams is Skoptcova/Aleshin but I doubt they will. They might very well be 2nd & 2nd at their events but it is unlikely that they could score about 153 points as average in their events.

bosskil

Match Penalty

I feel like it would be the most fair and exciting setup.

3 Russians vs 3 Japanese. :dev3::popcorn:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
I don't really care about x Russians vs. y Japanese, but at least looking at their first assignments, I'd think Marin and Rika deserve the final much more than Stanislava (although I liked her too, but that LP...).
Why did the JSF put them in the same event? Why? That was a really stupid move :palmf:

LadyB

Record Breaker
Provided that all sorts of things can happen between now and JGPF, right now I can't see how anyone can sneak in between Russian and Japanese girls. Fine by me.
As far as Men are concerned, there is a bit of similar pattern and I love the Russian boys very much, but I'll be shouting big time for Jun Hwan Cha, Sadovsky and Nadeau. Although, if I'm honest, I'm not so sure about the latter two.

kalee

On the Ice
looking at their first assignments, I'd think Marin and Rika deserve the final...
Why did the JSF put them in the same event? Why? That was a really stupid move :palmf:

If JSF don't separate Marin and Rika, it just means that they still see Yuna Shiraiwa as their #2 junior lady. Yuna's chances of getting to JGPF are slim, but if she wins her next comp and none of the other silver medalists gets better than bronze in their next outing (or the remaining silvers are taken by girls with a gold already), she might just get in.

The Finn

Record Breaker
So, I would say the JGP finalist are Savosin, Aliev, Cha, Samarin and two skaters from the trio of Zhou, Krasnozhon and Erokhov. If Russia doesn't put Erokhov to JGP Estonia then his chances are slim because currently Erokhov is assigned to skate against Cha and Samarin at the JGP Germany.

Russian Fed put Samarin to JGP Estonia istead of Erokhov, so, Erokhov most likely will not make it to the final. Wrong move by Russian fed. They should have put Erokhov to Estonia, he could have won there.

Rissa

Record Breaker
Russian Fed put Samarin to JGP Estonia istead of Erokhov, so, Erokhov most likely will not make it to the final. Wrong move by Russian fed. They should have put Erokhov to Estonia, he could have won there.

I suppose Samarin was a priority, in Germany he would have to go against Cha (and Torgashev)

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker

sounds good to me

:ddevil:

s_parks

Record Breaker
Well, the results in slovenia just made it more interesting for men's qualifiers... Krasnozhon is definitely in. Savosin is also likely in, unless we have a very unexpected winner. Skirda has a pretty decent chance, but so does Torgashev and Zhou, who also have silver and high scoring potential(especially Zhou, who already posted a great score in the impressive event in japan). Excited for the last two events, especially since the deepest fields have been saved for the last.
I'm thinking:
krasnozhon
savosin
cha
samarin
zhou
torgashev/skirda/aliev?

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
What is going on with Nadeau? Is he really going to only compete in one event?

He isn't listed even for even one event now. http://www.isuresults.com/events/jgp2016/jgpsmen.htm I'm worried he has serious injury. And so he misses JGP series, the whole point of him staying junior..... :(

Can't believe Dima Aliev bombed FS and might miss JGPF after win in Czech Republic... I believe many of contenders will bomb at least one of their programs in their second event, but Dima opened the door for some more skaters to qualify (those who were in third place). Junior Men, so unpredictible :drama:

lynnems

Rinkside
Well, the results in slovenia just made it more interesting for men's qualifiers... Krasnozhon is definitely in. Savosin is also likely in, unless we have a very unexpected winner. Skirda has a pretty decent chance, but so does Torgashev and Zhou, who also have silver and high scoring potential(especially Zhou, who already posted a great score in the impressive event in japan). Excited for the last two events, especially since the deepest fields have been saved for the last.
I'm thinking:
krasnozhon
savosin
cha
samarin
zhou
torgashev/skirda/aliev?

Savosin and Skirda are already ahead of Aliev - he has to wait to see if one or more of the others on this list (Cha, Samarin, Zhou, Torgashev) has a day like he had today.