2016 Golden West Championships, Sep 2-4 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2016 Golden West Championships, Sep 2-4

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I was wondering about Gracie too... can't recall how many ladies there were.

She has done just SP before in the summer.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I thought Caroline Zhang's program was exquisite, despite some jump issues in the 2nd half. Looking forward to seeing it again, hopefully soon in a Senior B.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
*happily loving Brendan's programs*

ice coverage

Record Breaker

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
A lot of frontloaded quads, but other than that, the most impressive thing in the fs for me is his musicality. He was majestic on the ice. :)

i think 4T is in 2nd half, 3A will be after 2 quads

MasterB

Final Flight
Nathan Chen is the BOSS. That lutz and flip looked easy.

But, I fear for him and his hips. He is one of the most talented skaters we have. We already loss Joshua and Dornbush, we cannot afford to lose another one.

The Afro has to go....

When he was a kid I thought he would be similar in style to Patrick but, his style has gone in a different direction. I find him to be a bit stiff and some of his flexibility has diminished.

Best of luck to him.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Nathan Chen is the BOSS. That lutz and flip looked easy.

But, I fear for him and his hips. He is one of the most talented skaters we have. We already loss Joshua and Dornbush, we cannot afford to lose another one.

The Afro has to go....

When he was a kid I thought he would be similar in style to Patrick but, his style has gone in a different direction. I find him to be a bit stiff and some of his flexibility has diminished.

Best of luck to him.

I would rather see less content and better skating. I was wondering about the do - wasn't sure what it was other than NO NO NO - it was distracting and maybe his spins would improve lol with less wind resistance with that fro. But good for him to come back so strong. He definitely could challenge Brown - though I don't really appreciate his style.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I think this is just what Nathan's hair does over the summer when he doesn't cut it. It was the same last year.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Nathan Chen is quite impressive with those quad jumps. Adding the quad lutz and flip to his arsenal will definitely serve him well in the base value. Still have no idea whether he has improved his 3A technique since it was taken out, but we'll have to see. By having four different quad types, he can easily tack on the 3Ts after simpler jumps and not have to worry about combinations for quads unless he wants to repeat one.

I must say that his styling is improving and I see lot more attention to detail and musicality within his foot sequence. I still think he needs to work on his intention throughout. A lot of his moves seem there, they exist, but they don't have a clear purpose. Some of it is well-timed, though, so I think he's working on it. At a certain point, he needs a choreographer to really try and pull from him a performance that has a connection with the music. Chen will need to ask himself why he's skating instead of what's he skating, and that will vault him from a junior skater into a senior skater.

Tallorder

On the Ice
"The Afro has to go" :laugh:

There is a VERY important window for him to traverse through in the coming 18 months on the path to a potential Olympic spot. Will be fascinating to watch what decisions he and his team make, and the progression he goes through (or doesn't).