logistics | Golden Skate

logistics

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Just Curious. How do the out of towners do logistics here? The Arena doesnt have much around it for food and lodging and its 20 miles from Ohara. Do you all rent cars???

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Well, I'm driving in, so I'll have a car.

If I were flying, I'd probably cab from O'Hare. I don't anticipate much driving once in Hoffman Estates. The Marriott is within walking distance of the arena, and there are a bunch of restaurants near the Marriott (Dunkin Donuts, Chipotle, BWW, Red Robin, etc.)

Not ideal... but for suburbia, it could be a lot worse.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Well, I'm driving in, so I'll have a car.

If I were flying, I'd probably cab from O'Hare. I don't anticipate much driving once in Hoffman Estates. The Marriott is within walking distance of the arena, and there are a bunch of restaurants near the Marriott (Dunkin Donuts, Chipotle, BWW, Red Robin, etc.)

Not ideal... but for suburbia, it could be a lot worse.

I did hear that Dunkin donuts does breakfast sandwitches, and the M. might have a restaruant for breakfast. Its only a mile away from the arena. While it is a great cast of charactors, between air fare, motel costs and that lovely cab ride as well as event fee. I would be looking at $700 a day....
Chris who is so old he remembers O'hara airport in the 1950s....you wouldnt believe it if I told you about it.... :(

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I did hear that Dunkin donuts does breakfast sandwitches, and the M. might have a restaruant for breakfast. Its only a mile away from the arena. While it is a great cast of charactors, between air fare, motel costs and that lovely cab ride as well as event fee. I would be looking at $700 a day....

Airfare must be outrageous! I added up my costs: tickets, hotel, & petrol = $200/day.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Airfare must be outrageous! I added up my costs: tickets, hotel, & petrol = $200/day.

Airno fair is really sad. Delta is now charging for seat selection. Lets say $400 for air tickets...cab ride 20 miles wont be cheep...what are you paying for the marriott? Thur Frid Sat Sun?
Cab fare is $50-$70 depending on traffic one way, tickets are $400

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Airno fair is really sad. Delta is now charging for seat selection. Lets say $400 for air tickets...cab ride 20 miles wont be cheep...what are you paying for the marriott? Thur Frid Sat Sun?
Cab fare is $50-$70 depending on traffic one way, tickets are $400

Take an Uber or Lyft — estimates say about $20 from the airport to arena. (First time riders can get $50 credit.)

I paid $175 for club tix right next to the judges.

Marriott is $109/night, staying Thursday thru Sunday.

That's it for my expenses, aside from food/misc during the day.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Take an Uber or Lyft — estimates say about $20 from the airport to arena. (First time riders can get $50 credit.)

If I could drive I would be there too....but I absolutley hate flying now. My friends that are going are all driving except for A*** and E****** and they would go if it were in Bogata.

I have issues with Uber. I dont like cabs, either and the Hotels should have some sort of vans with $20 rides/person to airport. Or an airport van ground transportation system. A la GoRiteway. Just my opinion.
Next to judges is a crap shoot. Hopefully, you wont have an obstructed view. I gotta sit close or I might as well watch on TV :)
Is that 109 a night with taxes? That's a good rate. If I could drive, it would make it worth it.
How many from this forum are going? Man its a great cast....

nguyhm

On the Ice
If I could drive I would be there too....but I absolutley hate flying now. My friends that are going are all driving except for A*** and E****** and they would go if it were in Bogata.

I have issues with Uber. I dont like cabs, either and the Hotels should have some sort of vans with $20 rides/person to airport. Or an airport van ground transportation system. A la GoRiteway. Just my opinion.
Next to judges is a crap shoot. Hopefully, you wont have an obstructed view. I gotta sit close or I might as well watch on TV :)
Is that 109 a night with taxes? That's a good rate. If I could drive, it would make it worth it.
How many from this forum are going? Man its a great cast....
I really lucked out on airfare, $138 round trip non-stop, I'd be foolish for not grabbing it. So far I have bought event tickets, not sure how the seat turns out, will take the chance and bring my binoculars. I made reservations at the Hilton, it's further than the Marriott, which is now all booked, and I will be renting a car. Will be glad to share rides and costs from hotel to arena if needed. It is a great cast and it might be my only chance to see Yulia live, excited about her "comeback", either way...

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I really lucked out on airfare, $138 round trip non-stop, I'd be foolish for not grabbing it. So far I have bought event tickets, not sure how the seat turns out, will take the chance and bring my binoculars. I made reservations at the Hilton, it's further than the Marriott, which is now all booked, and I will be renting a car. Will be glad to share rides and costs from hotel to arena if needed. It is a great cast and it might be my only chance to see Yulia live, excited about her "comeback", either way...

Great! Someone to Keep sabinfire company! Where are you flying in from? I thought about renting a car as you can stay at an out of the way airbb or motel and commute 10 miles and save the car renting cost in housing costs. Dont know if the arena charges for parking. But being so far from anything, they shouldnt. I have pilot friends I could stay with but I dont like inconvieiencing them. Fish and visitors smell after three days...
With cars at $44 a day, you could save the cab fares, find an inexpensive hotel, and make money.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Great! Someone to Keep sabinfire company! Where are you flying in from? I thought about renting a car as you can stay at an out of the way airbb or motel and commute 10 miles and save the car renting cost in housing costs. Dont know if the arena charges for parking. But being so far from anything, they shouldnt. I have pilot friends I could stay with but I dont like inconvieiencing them. Fish and visitors smell after three days...
With cars at $44 a day, you could save the cab fares, find an inexpensive hotel, and make money.

I think last time it was $15 / day with in and out privileges. However, if you got there early for practices and just left your car all day, you ended up not paying because there was no one taking money for parking at practices.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I think last time it was $15 / day with in and out privileges. However, if you got there early for practices and just left your car all day, you ended up not paying because there was no one taking money for parking at practices.

Guess there is no free lunch!

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Aww... have time to do anything fun in Chicago? I'll be there myself a week from today!

Not really - I am on business here - just will meet with my old classmate. We have a tradition of "Samuel Adams night". So a lot of beer to come. But after that I will fly to California. That's going to be fun!....hopefully. My 20th Stanford reunion. Time just flies.

A week from today? For SA apparently?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Forget Sam Adams night and instead go for a Two Hearted Ale adventure!

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Not really - I am on business here - just will meet with my old classmate. We have a tradition of "Samuel Adams night". So a lot of beer to come. But after that I will fly to California. That's going to be fun!....hopefully. My 20th Stanford reunion. Time just flies.

A week from today? For SA apparently?

Yup, about 5 days in Chicago during SkAm! That's a shame you're missing SA by just a few days... :( How often are you in the US?

Forget Sam Adams night and instead go for a Two Hearted Ale adventure!

Or maybe check out a Blue Moon instead!

katymay

Medalist

I was just going to say that-Go Uber or Lyft. (I'm assuming Chitown is one of the places Uber/Lyft hasn't been kept out)

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
That's a shame you're missing SA by just a few days... :( How often are you in the US?

Agree, would be a big fun to attend Skate America. So far I only visited Russian events: Sochi 2014, CoR, the nationals, test skates. May be, I shall try to get to WC in Helsinki.

I visit the US once a year mostly for a couple of days. If Hillary does not make something really unpleasant hope to visit California with children in 2018. I am sure they will love it there!

Hope, you'll manage to come to CoR one day as well!

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Hope, you'll manage to come to CoR one day as well!

Maybe, been looking for an excuse to get out that way soon. 2018 Euros is in Moscow... but sunny San Jose (2018 US Nats) is looking better than snowy Moscow. :cool: Russian Nationals would probably be best for me, but always sounds like the ticket situation is a hassle, from the sounds of things.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Maybe, been looking for an excuse to get out that way soon. 2018 Euros is in Moscow... but sunny San Jose (2018 US Nats) is looking better than snowy Moscow. :cool: Russian Nationals would probably be best for me, but always sounds like the ticket situation is a hassle, from the sounds of things.

Well, tickets in Moscow and Sochi I can arrange although for the best seats one should have a lightning fast reaction or pay 100% surcharge (at least) to black market dealers. I got only 18th row for the list price this year (CoR). But the nationals are usually in other cities. Like this year Chelyabinsk - getting tickets may be a challenge.