Anna Shcherbakova | Page 129 | Golden Skate

Anna Shcherbakova

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Correct. But it's not necessary bad thing.

#TeamTutberidzeForProgress knew this was coming, it was foretold by experts on the diverse press interviews and blogs their skaters should give the panels no reason for any deductions. They were probably still unpleasantly surprised by the sudden magnification put on Anna's Lutz'es.

Arbitrary

Medalist
#TeamTutberidzeForProgress knew this was coming, it was foretold by experts on the diverse press interviews and blogs their skaters should give the panels no reason for any deductions. They were probably still unpleasantly surprised by the sudden magnification put on Anna's Lutz'es.
"Lutz Maleficarum" - the glorious book of the witchhunt in FS.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Correct. But it's not necessary bad thing.
it is a bad thing if it is aimed only at the top Russian girls. If they are being targeted more than the competition and that's unfair and unethical.

Unpleasantly surprised is probably an understatement and understandably so.

Minoru

Rinkside
I think Trusova has a pretty good edge on her lutz so I don't think the controller will mess her. The other Eteri girls though can sometimes go flat so maintaining a good edge is paramount because it looks like the tech controllers have gotten memo to scrutinized them ever since last week in France. We can expect more ! edges but hopefully no outrageous e calls like Zagitova received last week.

I checked Trusova in Canada FS 4Lz again. You are right. she is bit different and clearly out edge. but her pre-rotation seems bit more than Anna. I care more about this than edge. Perhaps clean Triple and Quad with a lot of pre-rotation shouldn't be huge difference in point. So if her lower GOE was due to pre-rotation not by the edge, and the judge stays consistent, I can understand. In addition I like Boyan's huge 4Lz but I don't like his long straight entry movement and the edge. He bends the ankle too much which is not beautiful. Mai Mihara is similar. There are many skaters who bend the ankle probably just for judgement which is non sense and ugly for me. So Anna should have GOE+ in this point.

I checked Trusova in Canada FS 4Lz again. You are right. she is bit different and clearly out edge. but her pre-rotation seems bit more than Anna. I care more about this than edge. Perhaps clean Triple and Quad with a lot of pre-rotation shouldn't be huge difference in point. So if her lower GOE was due to pre-rotation not by the edge, and the judge stays consistent, I can understand. In addition I like Boyan's huge 4Lz but I don't like his long straight entry movement and the edge. He bends the ankle too much which is not beautiful. Mai Mihara is similar. There are many skaters who bend the ankle probably just for judgement which is non sense and ugly for me. So Anna should have GOE+ in this point.

Can someone enlighten me about the fuss that is made over edges? I am not a skater but a lover of the sport and an avid viewer. Is a shallow edge easier than a deeper edge and is that the problem?
I feel Anna's quads, especially the recent ones are so elegant. it is nice to see elegant jumps.

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
Can someone enlighten me about the fuss that is made over edges? I am not a skater but a lover of the sport and an avid viewer. Is a shallow edge easier than a deeper edge and is that the problem?
I feel Anna's quads, especially the recent ones are so elegant. it is nice to see elegant jumps.
I've found that there are two camps on this subject: one that believes that on a lutz jump, an outside edge is an outside edge regardless of how shallow or deep, and is still worthy of positive GOE, and the other which believes that a deep outside edge is a key criterion for a proper lutz, and the depth of the edge should be factored into GOE.

A deep outside edge is more difficult to achieve than a shallow outside edge. Very few skaters, especially ladies, have a textbook lutz according to ISU standards. A problem a lot of skaters have is that they set up an outside edge in their backward glide into the lutz, but as they pick in, their blade moves from outside to flat (edge warning), or for some even inside (edge call).

Minoru

Rinkside
If deeper edge gives you more forth to jump higher or rotate faster, that's fine and GOE should be given to the height and rotation. Deeper edge should have better GOE because it's more difficult is non sense to me.

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
If deeper edge gives you more forth to jump higher or rotate faster, that's fine and GOE should be given to the height and rotation. Deeper edge should have better GOE because it's more difficult is non sense to me.

I think the deep edge is technically more "proper." Many on this forum would probably agree that Liza Tuktamysheva has the best lutz in ladies skating right now, and that's in part because she achieves such a deep edge. The lutz always looks like a very unnatural position to me though, so I'm not sure that a lutz with a shallower but still outside edge should be considered less of a lutz. If jumps were judged purely on how closely they match ideal technique, I'd say that the deeper edge deserves higher GOE, but there are so many other factors that go into what makes a jump high quality in this judging system.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I don't think rules say much (if any) about deep edge, Lz is just identified as a jump which is taken-off from backward outside edge and F a vice versa as a jump taken-off from backward inside edge. Bullets for positive GOE are well known and there is nothing about deep edges, unless it is interpreted as a part of "good take-off". But I think that no matter how deep outside/inside edge is there it is outside/inside edge (small fish, still a fish). It is also difficult to interpret how judges apply this, because negative and positive aspects of the jumps are applied at once.

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
I don't think rules say much (if any) about deep edge, Lz is just identified as a jump which is taken-off from backward outside edge and F a vice versa as a jump taken-off from backward inside edge. Bullets for positive GOE are well known and there is nothing about deep edges, unless it is interpreted as a part of "good take-off". But I think that no matter how deep outside/inside edge is there it is outside/inside edge (small fish, still a fish). It is also difficult to interpret how judges apply this, because negative and positive aspects of the jumps are applied at once.

That's fair. Perhaps the depth of edge is something that fans or members of the skating community have grown to bias over time as if to say the deeper the edge, the more unmistakable the quality of the jump. It's funny that there's so much talk about depth of edge, but the ISU itself says very little about it.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Anna's official FFKKR interview from Shiseido Grand Prix of China is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7q82jqNm9A

Anna is aware of the differences in her scores between GP America and GP China.

She was more nervous going into the free skate, and therefore more relieved when she finished her skating run.

She and the team will analyse the results and work on improvements.

She does want to take that giant bear plushie home, but doesn't know yet how to manage ;-)

Anna said she is working on a 4F and 3A, and since there is some time before the GPF, might train them more seriously. Otherwise there are no competitions planned at the moment.

katymay

Medalist

Basically speaking, an inside edge (as the takeoff for a jump) is easier and allows for more control of the blade, toe in, knee and foot position. If a lutz takes off the inside edge, it is really a flip. (Or flutz). Back in the day, lutz's used to be done from an arc-Alysa Cziney (sic) is one of the last girls I remember really doing this 'pure' lutz. Now it is more common to see a straight line approach, and with the straight line approach, far more 'fudging' of the edge. (At least during the 6.0 days-obviously now it is being called out far more often).

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Anna Shcherbakova: competition in the Tutberidze group pushes everybody for improvement

Russian figure skater Anna Shcherbakova became the winner of the Grand Prix stage in Chinese Chongqing. This allowed her to enter into the Grand Prix finals in her debut senior season. The 15 year old athlete became the first participant in the series final tournament of this season. The skater is known to the general public not only for the highest complexity of programs, but also for her excellent interpretation of images. In an interview with TASS, Shcherbakova talked about how she first tried to do a quad jump, due to which she plans to complicate her technical content, as well as about the competition amongst her compatriots in the group of Eteri Tutberidze.

- First of all, I would like to once again congratulate you on your victory at the stage in China! Now, after almost a day, how do you feel?

AS: Yesterday there was some kind of devastation after my skating run, we can even say I was exhausted. I felt tired, but I was happy with my routine and how it all ended. Now, all the same, I’m already thinking more about what will happen next, how we will work and what to fix.

- Was it fundamentally for you to qualify for the Grand Prix finals in your first senior season?

AS: For me it was important, of course. I wanted to immediately show that I can compete with adults, so I'm very glad it all happened.

- What result in the final will be acceptable for you?

AS: I don’t even know yet who the participants will be and what my technical set will be. I will set the goal to skate out my programs cleanly, and already further - as to what the judges will give it.

- Regarding the transition to skating in the seniors ... It seemed that it was happening to you with amazing ease ...

AS: It only seemed so (laughs). Of course, a lot of work was done to successfully perform in seniors competitions. But I try to go to these starts more confidently than to junior ones.

- Last season you finished with one quadruple Lutz, and this was more than enough for good results. There was also one Lutz at the Open Test Skates, but at the first senior stage of the Grand Prix you jumped two already. At what point and why did you decide to complicate your program?

AS: I knew right away that one Lutz was just a start. Usually I enter the season rather early, I need to skate out a lot of programs, so at first there was one. But I knew that as soon as I stabilised it, I would insert a second one. That year, I already tried somewhere in the middle of the season ...

- As far as I remember, at the Russian Cup stage in Yoshkar-Ola ...

AS: Yes, somehow it happened that my best skating runs were at the Cup of Russia (laughs). But I already knew that I could skate them out. And that I will complicate the program during the season, and as soon as the jump stabilized, we turned on the second.

- Do not consider it insolence, but I just have to ask: the whole world wonders how you even manage to twist and land quadruples. You look so fragile ...

AS: Well, I probably have such a structure (laughs). I work just like everyone else. We have special training in the dry hall. We strengthen our muscles, work on jumps. That is why it is so.

- Many are now interested in the question - how do skaters from the Eteri Tutberidze group get along on the same ice and in the same locker room? After all, you are not only friends, but also rivals, and the stakes have increased since this season.

AS: We get along very well. We have been communicating for a very long time. And vice versa, it somehow pushes us. In training - to learn something new, more complex. And somehow it’s even easier because when you watch others jump, it doesn’t seem so difficult for you anymore. And outside the ice, we calmly communicate, we are friends.

- That is, competition does not affect your communication in any way?

AS: Absolutely. I can even say that in competitions it is much more fun when someone else is there. So when I go alone to the stages, this is somehow even unusual.

- Tell me, how did you start figure skating?

AS: My parents brought me to figure skating when I was three and a half years old, because my older sister was engaged in it. She watched FS on TV, really wanted to skate, and they gave me away with her. I really liked it, and I, probably, about seven years old, skated only for my pleasure, without thinking at all about anything. Competition? Well, I'll go (laughs). But I really liked it all - funny programs, some images to show.

I did pretty well, and my parents, when I was nine, decided that it was time to decide - it would remain like a hobby or try to do it professionally. And then they decided to try to go to the group to Eteri Georgiyevna Tutberidze, she was working in the same rink. With her then skated Yuliya Lipnitskaya, and when we had training after them, we left the locker rooms and peeped at how they train.

It seemed to me then that this was some unattainable level. And when my parents said that we would try to go to her, for some reason I did not even believe in it from the beginning. But they took me into the group. At first it was very difficult, I only jumped doubles, for a very long time I was not given triple jumps. At that moment I was a little stalled - all others of the same age were already jumping them, but I was not. It was a difficult moment, but then somehow abruptly I jumped all at once.

- But it was a triple. Do you remember the moment when the coaches said: "Anya, come on, quadruple?"

AS: Yes I remember. At that training, nothing at all foreshadowed anything like this - ordinary activities. Then Daniil Markovich Gleikhengauz arrived and said: "If we are going to teach a quadruple, what would you like?" Thinking. Then they reasoned and decided that at that moment my best was a triple Toeloop. And he says: "Well, let's try to make it as high as possible."

I go in and do. Eteri Georgiyevna says to do it even higher. I do it even higher. And then she says: "Now screw up as much as possible!" I go in, spin as much as I can, pop out - and this is how I entered the quadruple for the first time, without expecting it myself (laughs). And, as I was later told, I fell only a quarter turn from the quad revolutions. Somewhere from that moment, they realized that it was worth continuing to teach me. But further along, of course, we already worked a lot with the fishing rod and harness and with special protection. I was about 12 years old.

- Jumping in figure skating is not all. Many experts note your artistry and the high level of presentation of your programs. These qualities at such a young age are quite rare. Do you have this natural or did you somehow specifically develop it?

AS: It seems to me more from nature. As a child, I had the Pink Panther program, and I remember how I liked it ... I don’t remember thinking about whether or not I would be able to jump. But I remember how I went out, how I liked my movements. I stood facing the judges, always smiling. I could go in a puff and look at them. I don’t even remember about jumping, for me then the images and programs were more important, I always liked it that way.

- This season you have such complex images in both short and free programs. Tell us how you manage to interpret them so well?

AS: These images were chosen by my coaches for me, I really like them. When they stage the programs, they told me a lot about what my emotions should be, about what I should skate, so that I could get used to the role more. This is very important for me, because I can’t just perform some movements without emotions.

- After the Grand Prix finals, the Russian Championship will be held. Last year you won it. Tell me, what did this victory give you?

AS: Probably additional self-confidence. At that competition, I skated my programs well and performed the quadruple Lutz cleanly.

- This year your goal is to defend the title?

AS: Yes of course. But for myself, so as not to be distracted, I will set the task to skate cleanly. Because if you immediately think about what you want to win, it starts to interfere and distract.

- Yesterday we talked with Daniil Markovich, and he said that it would take a long time to list the improvement options. But, in particular, he noted an increase in the number of quadruples and a triple Axel. Tell me, how are you doing with the learning of new elements?

AS: We are always in the process of learning. When there is an active preparation for the competition, this process slows down, it's hard to keep up with everything. But now the break will be longer, and the emphasis on training new elements will increase. It happens that we train a triple Axel and a quadruple Flip. The Flip turns out, but I understand that if I insert it into my program, I will need to skate with three quadruples. And then the problem will not be in making this jump, but in how to put the whole program together. But we will train, try. I'll need to get more complicated.

- But is this possible this season?

AS: I think yes.

(c) Владислав Жуков
-----

E

eterialskater

Yes sadly Anna's unclear edges severely affected the GOE of the jumps. I think a point deduction in GOE would be more appropriate than not giving a beautifully executed jump the GOE it deserves.