Anna Shcherbakova | Page 137 | Golden Skate

Anna Shcherbakova

Decoder

On the Ice
Usually I can only really enjoy skaters' performances during replay, because I am always very nervous real time. However, today I was not nervous at all when watching Anya's SP.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Usually I can only really enjoy skaters' performances during replay, because I am always very nervous real time. However, today I was not nervous at all when watching Anya's SP.

She is totally in command of herself, over the audience in the rink, over the millions of people watching, isn't she?

Wonderful presence, and she remains kind, humble and graceful.

Vemvane

On the Ice
What a fantastic skate from Anna! She is just getting better and better with this programme, really growing into it, and today she was really perfect. The landing on that 2A is a favourite of mine, the way she just extends her leg back and then stretches forward and down with her arms. I feel you have to be really rock solid with your jumps to be able to do that on landing without falling flat on your face, and am perpetually impressed by that. (Actual skaters, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong in my assumption!)

One of the things I have appreciated about this programme since the start of the season are the beautiful gliding spirals. Anna doesn't always get to hold them before moving on to the next element, but when she does, oh, my heart! They are just elegance on the ice for me, and really fit with the music. I can't explain it: they just work. Possibly because it is such a delicate, slow piece, and the spirals are not frenetic movement, so they emphasise the nature of the music. Also, her spins are getting so much better in terms of staying centred - she still travels on some of them, but her CCoSp at the end did not move until the I-spin at the end. (And as a newbie, what's the position called when she has her free leg crossed behind the other and reaches down to grab the blade? Is that a crossfoot spin? Whatever it is, I adore it. It's like Anna's trademark spin for me.)

I am also going to cheer for her persistence paying off with that 3Lz-3Lo combination. She worked so hard on it, and now it just looks so secure, there's never a moment where I think that she won't make the second element. It's such a valuable combo to have as well, points-wise, and with the second half bonus, it was the highest scoring combination in the whole field.

Video link to the ISU's upload of her skate is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIFXgRMYq1Q

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Anna is exquisite both on and off the ice.. my appreciation of her has grown over the season..
A word about this music: there are pieces that open you up and cut straight to the soul, often in a chilling way. That is the way this music makes me feel. It is downright terrifying and goes beyond the merely scary or shivery or otherworldly and I have a hard time listening to it when Anna skates. BUT I like the music very much precisely because it makes me feel something I never felt before. However, I cannot imagine listening to it as often as Anna must have had to through the months of practice and competition... Wonder if others have had this response..

Vemvane

On the Ice
Well done, Anna! She really has such an excellent free as the Firebird, and that costume change remains spectacular, no matter how many times I see it. I hope she is proud of her Euros silver - she was wonderful tonight, and a deserved winner of the free skate.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Anna won two championship golds last season - RusNats and EYOF. Therefore, she is gearing up for a Worlds gold! :biggrin:

In all seriousness, I think she should've won overall, but hopefully this will give her something to prove going into Worlds.

Vemvane

On the Ice
She was so close to tears even on the podium. It must be so hard to do your best, to jump two quads, to win the free skate, and still place second. If she had just landed that 4Lz, I think she would have won. But she is so gracious, as she cheered right up during the medal ceremony and started dancing with Aliona on the podium. Long may she continue to be such a classy athlete.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
She was so close to tears even on the podium. It must be so hard to do your best, to jump two quads, to win the free skate, and still place second. If she had just landed that 4Lz, I think she would have won. But she is so gracious, as she cheered right up during the medal ceremony and started dancing with Aliona on the podium. Long may she continue to be such a classy athlete.

Anna cheered teary eyed Alyona up in Nationals, on those couches. Now Alyona cheered Anna up, and the girls being so young still, like to play and goof around a little to break any tension between them.

This whole season they've trained together, competed together, celebrated together, laughed together, cried together, and did not let anybody pass. Only one more such feat in Montreal, and the 2019/2020 season will be remembered forever as the season three girls from one single rink were Undefeated, only losing to themselves.

Seruleane

Final Flight
Congrats to Anna for delivering two sublime performances! That was my favorite rendition of her SP ever, and her FS was still spectacular despite the fall. I'm also amazed that she kept her composure despite being asked those ridiculous, insulting questions by the moderator, who surely wanted to get some reaction from her. She is a class act on and off the ice, and I am so proud to be her fan.

Minoru

Rinkside
I was very happy when i saw her 4F. It looked very beautiful and clean. Now I understood the the judging for this one but how can the 2nd 4lz be downgraded? It's even around the border of -90 deg... No edge question was positive result though.

Vemvane

On the Ice
Thank you for sharing the video!

Anna is always so sweet and so articulate. She seems very level-headed, and really, so humble for someone who has achieved so much. I had no idea her cat was called Mafia, though!