Anna Shcherbakova | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Anna Shcherbakova

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
Interesting... I always thought she is contacting with big imaginary friend in her FP, and that's why her hug is so huge... Like she's hugging invisible Snorlax from Pokemon TV series [emoji848]

atsumiri

Record Breaker
An early January comp?
I hope they're not pushing her too much...
I don't think they're pushing.
I would say they were even conservative. She broke her leg in a middle of July. Got back to training in September.
Some of us were thinking about last JGP stages.... even..

I really want to see here!!!!

Shayuki

Record Breaker
An early January comp?
I hope they're not pushing her too much...
I think by mid-January she'll have been practising triples for nearly 2 months and will have been on the ice for over 3 months.

If an injury like that heals according to the usual timeline I really don't think a competition like that should be a problem. If she'll have been practising triples for 2 months by then already, that's sure to strain her far more than 2 competition programs - Especially considering training in that system.

She even seems to be back with the main group which I assume would mean her being relatively close to normal training for the group's standards.

Plan of action:

1. Somehow manage to wait until then
2. Hope that it's streamed
3. Cry tears of joy at seeing her perform again

tars

Record Breaker
Thanks, Shayuki. :agree:

You're all right in a sense. There are pros and cons, like always.
One of the cons is being potentially beaten by bunch of younger girls, like Kanysheva, Valieva, Sinitsina and Kostiuk. One may only hope she will be psychologically prepared for some tough competition being not 100% and that feds understand the whole injury background.
Training calmly through the summer and attending the test skates in full physical force and confidence would be another option.
Let's hope coaches make the best decision possible. :pray:

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Thanks, Shayuki. :agree:

You're all right in a sense. There are pros and cons, like always.
One of the cons is being potentially beaten by bunch of younger girls, like Kanysheva, Valieva, Sinitsina and Kostiuk. One may only hope she will be psychologically prepared for some tough competition being not 100% and that feds understand the whole injury background.
Training calmly through the summer and attending the test skates in full physical force and confidence would be another option.
Let's hope coaches make the best decision possible. :pray:

To me it appears as if they are specifically aiming for Russian jr. nationals. This competition will be just over a week before them. I assume they're planning on participating if it goes reasonably well for her.

To be honest, I had already prepared mentally to not be able to see her skate there so I'm trying my best to not become too excited. It's to be expected that she's going to be very rusty, likely for the rest of the season. But I'd love to watch her even if doubles and single axels was all she was jumping.

tars

Record Breaker
To me it appears as if they are specifically aiming for Russian jr. nationals. This competition will be just over a week before them. I assume they're planning on participating if it goes reasonably well for her.
She doesn't have any points for nats though, would have to get bye. :think:

Shayuki

Record Breaker
She doesn't have any points for nats though, would have to get bye. :think:
Yup but I dont think that should be a problem if her performance is good.

Two reasons for that:

1. She would have been the best new junior going into the 17-18 season and that crop's juniors are the best in the world
2. She was injured so she has a solid excuse to not have the points

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Anna Shcherbakova is listed at Moscow Cup, 13-14 Jan 2018, Moscow, Sports Palace Medvedkovo.
http://www.sportvokrug.ru/competitions/3022//participants/

Indeed! Hopefully she will actually perform there, too. And hopefully it'll be streamed. Looking forward to it so much!

Still 17 days to go. Such a short yet oh, so long a time. After I see her perform and look like herself I'll finally be able to relax and let out a sigh of relief. The wait with limited information has been so difficult.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Hmmm... So the outfits do get recycled? Well, that makes sense as the skaters grow fast and it'd be very costly replacing them all the time. I wonder if they all get recycled, though.

16 days to go until Anya.

By the way, I was bored and decided to calculate what kind of a jump Anya could do with her rotation speed and Mikhail Kolyada's quad lutz jump height. The conclusion I reached is that Anya could perform a quintuple Lutz with that height and air time. Her rotation speed is one revolution per 0.1667 seconds and Kolyada's air time was about 0.79 seconds. Just mathing that's 4.75 revolutions.

I also noticed another thing. During the past year she managed to improve her Lutz technique by quite a bit. The pre-rotation is still there of course which isn't ideal, but the lean's much better and the pick's not kicked into the ice, giving it much more power. It actually is pretty surprising because for most skaters at this age the technique seems to stick - And also shows that Eteri does care at least somewhat about technique.

In the case that she does regain her jumps as expected, perhaps the quad Lutz will be a possibility next season.

tars

Record Breaker
I also noticed another thing. During the past year she managed to improve her Lutz technique by quite a bit. The pre-rotation is still there of course which isn't ideal, but the lean's much better and the pick's not kicked into the ice, giving it much more power. It actually is pretty surprising because for most skaters at this age the technique seems to stick - And also shows that Eteri does care at least somewhat about technique.
This guy cares for sure. :yes:

I'm not an expert on jumps, but it's obvious to me she'll elevate even higher with gaining some muscle mass.
Everything will come with time, she's still very thin child.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
This guy cares for sure. :yes:

I'm not an expert on jumps, but it's obvious to me she'll elevate even higher with gaining some muscle mass.
Everything will come with time, she's still very thin child.
Yeah, even on her quad the height isn't amazing. It would be below average for even a triple amongst seniors. It's incredible she can actually fully rotate a quad during it. It has less air time than Evgenia Medvedeva's Flip. Crazy to think about, isn't it? Gaining some strength is going to help her so much.

I'm glad I at least don't always just have to talk to myself in this fan fest. I really was expecting Anya to be by far the most popular junior this season. Her random domestic tournament FS still has more views than any of Kostornaia's skates even though Anya's had zero international exposure. It's just so very dead in here, which really makes me sad. And she's not a part of most discussions for top juniors either, which makes me even more sad.

It sure would be wonderful if she had a great performance in 2 weeks and earned a spot in jr nationals, actually managed to skate well enough there to qualify for jr. worlds, and then the international audience's first exposure to her would be her skating the way she can. I'd love to see what people would have to say if she skated her best FS ever there. And how an actually large audience would react.

tars

Record Breaker
I'm just worried about her bones, not supported by enough muscles and exploited by all the jumping.
Muscles not only help with elevation, they also let body to distribute gravity stress at landing properly, so the landing leg's bones and joints are less burdened. Without the proper muscle framework, jumping training means constant and excessive hits to leg's bones and joints. :hopelessness:

I think Anna is a special physical specimen, very promissing for fs jumping, but also requiring more patient and deliberate approach in training process, which in current competition in Russian ladies' fs may be hard to achieve. :eek:hwell:

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I'm just worried about her bones, not supported by enough muscles and exploited by all the jumping.
Muscles not only help with elevation, they also let body to distribute gravity stress at landing properly, so the landing leg's bones and joints are less burdened. Without the proper muscle framework, jumping training means constant and excessive hits to leg's bones and joints. :hopelessness:

I think Anna is a special physical specimen, very promissing for fs jumping, but also requiring more patient and deliberate approach in training process, which in current competition in Russian ladies' fs may be hard to achieve. :eek:hwell:
Yep, the biggest worry regarding Anna is that she seems very fragile. I hope they don't push her too hard... I really wish that she's able to stay healthy. If she does, I have full confidence that the rest will take care of itself.