Anna Shcherbakova | Page 55 | Golden Skate

Anna Shcherbakova

j00mla

Made in USSR
Final Flight
All the best to Anna (both of the Annas, actually!) I hope they both skate clean to their best potential!

Also, this is kind of a weird comment and I’m aware that I’m being really childish, but I really want to hear an English commentator attempt to pronounce Anna’s surname. Five bucks that Ted will pause for a moment and then say “she-cher-bak-ova”? :laugh:

That aside, I can’t wait to see them skate, and hear what Ted says about both Annas! Good luck to both of them!

But at least he has a lucky chance to put the stress correctly because he always does the stress in the -ova on the o.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Also, this is kind of a weird comment and I’m aware that I’m being really childish, but I really want to hear an English commentator attempt to pronounce Anna’s surname. Five bucks that Ted will pause for a moment and then say “she-cher-bak-ova”? :laugh
I still consider it rather disrespectful to not even look up how to pronounce someone's name if you're a public figure narrating to the masses... Especially when it's not anything that's at all difficult like the Alina / Alena thing. I just don't understand, it takes a couple of minutes to watch a Russian competition video to hear their name announced. And if such simple things that only have to do with some knowledge without any difficult sounds, I really don't think they can do the Shch properly.

It's pretty interesting, actually. I struggled for a while but then realized that actually, Shch just is to Sh what ä is to a or ü is to u. Now I think my Shch is somewhat respectable.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Bless you for this comment, it's not childish at all! :clapper:

Respect to other people names is fundamental in our civilization. We should at least try to spell and express them as correctly as we can, whether they're hard or easy to say/wrote in our own language.
I guess Anna's "sh"+"ch" connection is tough to spell for Anglosaxon and Romance speakers, but it would really sadden me, if Anna and her parents simplified it's spelling like Plushenko did.

I think it's important to try to pronounce names correctly, but even people who are trying can get them pretty wrong. It's very difficult if it involves a sound that isn't used in your language, and some people just don't have very good ears for copying the sounds even when they try. I think the stresses are a lot easier to get, although often you just have to memorize those too.

I know some people who came to North America from the Middle East a couple of years ago, and they still can't say my name correctly, even when they repeat it after me. And they really struggle with the sound of the letter 'p' because it's not used in Arabic. They generally end up saying 'b' instead.

That's because different languages use different phonemes (the basic sounds). Infants are able to learn any phoneme in the world, but as we get older we tend to only recognize the ones used in languages that we speak. So often we genuinely can't properly hear the sound the way native speakers do - our brains just interpret it as the closest equivalent in our language.

And of course, Ted will be saying a whole lot of names this weekend, so it would be hard for him to learn them all.

I've spent quite a bit of time learning to pronounce Russian names, and in general I'm pretty good at pronouncing things from different languages without too much of an accent, but I doubt I'd be able to get the 'shch' sound quite right. Same for the letter than gets transliterated as 'kh'. I can get it basically right in Mikhail if I concentrate, but there's a Russian tennis player named Karen Khachanov and I found that sound really hard to get at the beginning of the word.

Sorry, probably didn't need to go on like that, but I just finished a course that talked about some of this.

karina17

Final Flight
As someone whose family doesn’t speak English natively, I’m happy as long as people at least TRY to pronounce names correctly. I don’t mind at all when people butcher my name as long as it’s not on purpose. (Karina is easy for most, but I have more than one name and people struggle with the second).

But if you can’t even bother to learn someone’s name, or worse yet, you’re aware of the pronunciation and yet you butcher it on purpose, that’s really rude and quite demeaning. I sighed out loud when one channel (I believe it was NBC, but I could be wrong) was told repeatedly that “Chang” in “Pyeongchang” was pronounced “ChAHng” and not “ChEHng”, but stated that they were going to keep the second pronunciation because it “sounded cleaner”. That was outright disrespectful because they were perfectly capable of saying it correctly, but chose not to because they believed that their incorrect pronunciation was superior.

karina17

Final Flight
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bmygo9Fj7tW/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=b10ia9hcf8ul

On a lighter note, hany_bany_ on Instagram posted a clip from Anna’s practice!

Edit: Oh my days, I JUST realised that was a 4Lz-3T-3Lo. :shocked:

Another edit: If you look at the Instagram story of hany_bany_, you’ll also see Anna doing a 3F (rippon) while rehearsing her SP, and a 3Lz-3T (rippon). Glad that she seems to be doing great! Go Anna! :)

tars

Record Breaker
As someone whose family doesn’t speak English natively, I’m happy as long as people at least TRY to pronounce names correctly. I don’t mind at all when people butcher my name as long as it’s not on purpose. (Karina is easy for most, but I have more than one name and people struggle with the second).

But if you can’t even bother to learn someone’s name, or worse yet, you’re aware of the pronunciation and yet you butcher it on purpose, that’s really rude and quite demeaning. I sighed out loud when one channel (I believe it was NBC, but I could be wrong) was told repeatedly that “Chang” in “Pyeongchang” was pronounced “ChAHng” and not “ChEHng”, but stated that they were going to keep the second pronunciation because it “sounded cleaner”. That was outright disrespectful because they were perfectly capable of saying it correctly, but chose not to because they believed that their incorrect pronunciation was superior.
That's exactly how I feel: please, just try. I'm pretty sure 99% of people would fully symphatize and help to speak out their names.
It's the lazy and disrespectful people, who simply don't care ("... or whatever her name is") should be stood up to.

dante

a dark lord
Final Flight
Country
Russia
it takes a couple of minutes to watch a Russian competition video to hear their name announced.

It's even easier: translate the name to Russian with Google Translate and click the speaker button. Its Russian pronunciation is perfect.

I struggled for a while but then realized that actually, Shch just is to Sh what ä is to a or ü is to u. Now I think my Shch is somewhat respectable.

This kind of linguistic Zen can only be found in a genuine revelation. :biggrin:

I doubt I'd be able to get the 'shch' sound quite right.

It's pronounced as in "Chicago".

I can get it basically right in Mikhail if I concentrate, but there's a Russian tennis player named Karen Khachanov and I found that sound really hard to get at the beginning of the word.

If you replace each 'kh' with 'h', it will still sound adequate.

Yasmina1996

Rinkside
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bmygo9Fj7tW/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=b10ia9hcf8ul

On a lighter note, hany_bany_ on Instagram posted a clip from Anna’s practice!

Edit: Oh my days, I JUST realised that was a 4Lz-3T-3Lo. :shocked:

Another edit: If you look at the Instagram story of hany_bany_, you’ll also see Anna doing a 3F (rippon) while rehearsing her SP, and a 3Lz-3T (rippon). Glad that she seems to be doing great! Go Anna! :)

It’ so great! At first I couldn’t understand that Anna made it really again! It’s the first day of practice! But then I saw next video after photo... Crazyyyyyyyyyy!!!

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It's pronounced as in "Chicago".

Oh thanks, that's helpful. The website I used to learn the alphabet had a button to hear the sound, but it can be hard to replicate that in the context on the name.

If you replace each 'kh' with 'h', it will still sound adequate.

That's basically what I do, but I can definitely make the 'h' a bit harder in the middle of the word. And when I say Mikhail quickly or without thinking, I still say "Mick-hail" by accident because when I see the letters in my head that's what I want to say.

TheBallerina

#teamtutberidze
Record Breaker
Her last quad was amazing - she glided through the air like an eagle. :love:

Such a beautiful comparison :biggrin: Thanks for the slow-mo video, it really helps us acknowledge the beauty of her jump. Her quad is becoming better and better, with an amazing flow (like you've said, she looks like she's flying over the ice), height and so efortless (even with the new -5/+5 GOE system, it meets a great number of bullets :rock: )

Fluture

Record Breaker
And czech (and slovak) language is no less problematic for them with our diacritics :)

:eek:topic: I can confirm that. I have a Czech friend who speaks German quite well and every time she speaks on the phone it‘s like Chinese. I don‘t understand a word. :laugh: I would like to learn, though but I‘m busy with English, Spanish, Romanian and Latin at the moment so I‘m not going to add another language, too. I mean, theoretically I‘d like to know at least a bit of the basics in Russian but I think at the moment I don‘t have the time. Such a hard language compared to... say.. English or Spanish. Even learning Latin is easier but you don‘t have to speak or write in it so there‘s that.

Her last quad was amazing - she glided through the air like an eagle. :love:

https://i.imgur.com/Xh1idQk.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/AIAA42n.mp4

She went high and far, also prerotation was smaller - she was in the air before 180 degrees for sure. :thumbsup:
Eat this, KK! :p

She is out of this world! :luv17: I have never seen a quad looking like this from a girl. Sasha has a different kind of jumping quads. Hers look all wild and very, very exciting. Anna‘s seem more controlled and it‘s kind of watching her spread her wings and literally fly. Magnificent!

And about the second comment: Watch KK‘s next move, I‘m sure your comment will be in the video with a “legit“ footage of how wrong and awful and prerotated and flutzed Anna‘s quad is. :laugh: Don‘t take this weirdo seriously. They always find something to nag about. :palmf: