Rika Kihira | Page 72 | Golden Skate

Rika Kihira

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Aliona won by 236 TES 88. Rika's TES was 77 due to first Axel landing and downgraded program. This means they are very close competitor and Anna will be in the same zone because her last SP score should have been higher than that. Sasha is still bit ahead of all but difference seems to be just one jump. It will be very exiting competition in NHK and final!

Rika scored 87 last year in TES at NHK. and She was underscored in PCS if you asked me. should be something like what Alëna got here so they are close. What would be a tie breaker are GOEs on each element. I think Alëna's spins are better and some of her jumps are cleaner and have more flow too. It's really a matter of who goes clean on the day. What would put her above Alena if both went clean is a 4S. or a +3S combo or something like Hanyu's eu+3F instead of a 3T.

lzxnl

Final Flight
Rika scored 87 last year in TES at NHK. and She was underscored in PCS if you asked me. should be something like what Alëna got here so they are close. What would be a tie breaker are GOEs on each element. I think Alëna's spins are better and some of her jumps are cleaner and have more flow too. It's really a matter of who goes clean on the day. What would put her above Alena if both went clean is a 4S. or a +3S combo or something like Hanyu's eu+3F instead of a 3T.

No, Rika has fully maxed out her triples. She already has two 3As and two 3Lz's, as well as a 3F. Alena's +3S combo only helps because it means she replaces a +2T+2Lo and a 3S with a +Eu+3S, 2A. It's actually not much of an advantage, as the net effect is to replace a 2T+2Lo (3 points) with a 2A, Eu (3.8 points). Rika's 4S then basically replaces a 2T+2Lo, 3S with a +Eu+3S, 4S, which is an increase in base value of 6 points. Skate that cleanly and Rika should beat even Sasha, if PCS is scored anywhere remotely appropriately.

thedeclan

Rinkside
I know a lot of people don't love her SP program music, but I absolutely love it. It's like a breath of fresh air for me :laugh:

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
I know a lot of people don't love her SP program music, but I absolutely love it. It's like a breath of fresh air for me :laugh:

I really love it!, I love it more than her free skate IMO but her freeprogram its growing on me with time, I love more this sp than clair de lune, but I loved more beautiful storm than International Angel of Peace, what it is not doubt is with this free skate she is shelling more the program than with beautiful storm, so the reason why I love more last year free program is more because of the music :laugh:

gotoschool

Medalist
In the SP, Rika is the first skater I have seen who has completely converted me to the beauty and expressive power of a composition I thought I would never like through her compelling interpretation, fabulous flow and speed in her skating skills, challenging jumps, transitions like the lovely tano turn into the triple loop and the rapid pirouettes, sharp fast turns and plasticity of movements in her step sequence transitioning into the illusion spin, layback and picturesque Biellmann, which she holds beautifully through a deceleration in speed to match the music wonderfully before accelerating again with a quick revolution back on the ice and a final flair of the arms to punctuate the rise in the last punchy vocal note. She also has the best combination of flexibility and speed in the I spin I have seen among current competitors.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
No, Rika has fully maxed out her triples. She already has two 3As and two 3Lz's, as well as a 3F. Alena's +3S combo only helps because it means she replaces a +2T+2Lo and a 3S with a +Eu+3S, 2A. It's actually not much of an advantage, as the net effect is to replace a 2T+2Lo (3 points) with a 2A, Eu (3.8 points). Rika's 4S then basically replaces a 2T+2Lo, 3S with a +Eu+3S, 4S, which is an increase in base value of 6 points. Skate that cleanly and Rika should beat even Sasha, if PCS is scored anywhere remotely appropriately.

Thank you! I forgot she already repeats the 3A and 3Lz.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist

I love it! It's something not a lot can pull off. It's new and fresh. Although I wish she'd cut the dress a little shorter. or change it to something black and gold. I do get the color is culturally appropriate for the program but I feel, darker color suits the program better.

readernick

Medalist

I agree that Aliona has better spins. Rika should work on that. However, I think Rika is less likely to get dinged by a technical panel than Aliona because Aliona often has an unclear edge on her lutz and her air position isn't great which means she is more prone to URs. I actually think Rika with her lutz back and Aliona will be very close in scores. It would just depend in who is cleaner. But, if Rika really wants to win (especially against Sasha) a 4S would definitely help. Even an UR 4S would give her a huge boost in BV

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
I agree that Aliona has better spins. Rika should work on that. However, I think Rika is less likely to get dinged by a technical panel than Aliona because Aliona often has an unclear edge on her lutz and her air position isn't great which means she is more prone to URs. I actually think Rika with her lutz back and Aliona will be very close in scores. It would just depend in who is cleaner. But, if Rika really wants to win (especially against Sasha) a 4S would definitely help. Even an UR 4S would give her a huge boost in BV

That's why we need a strict panel who calls spade a spade. Correct calls will separate skaters who rotate their jumps and have correct edge from those who don't.

lzxnl

Final Flight
That's why we need a strict panel who calls spade a spade. Correct calls will separate skaters who rotate their jumps and have correct edge from those who don't.

If we keep having panels like at IdF, Rika will have a field day with her lack of calls. Meanwhile, not looking at any other skater in particular...

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Rika got my gift! :hap93:

If you look on the second photo's bottom right, the blue-and-white plushy and the bouquet of baby's breath are mine. I bought them at the Safeway in Kelowna lol. A small stuffed tiger to reflect her tough 'n' tiny spirit, and a pretty but modest bouquet because well, I figured the flowers weren't going in her luggage back to Japan ;)

Giu

On the Ice
Country
Italy
Rika got my gift! :hap93:

If you look on the second photo's bottom right, the blue-and-white plushy and the bouquet of baby's breath are mine. I bought them at the Safeway in Kelowna lol. A small stuffed tiger to reflect her tough 'n' tiny spirit, and a pretty but modest bouquet because well, I figured the flowers weren't going in her luggage back to Japan ;)

I’m so happy for you!!! Baby’s breath flowers are so delicate :) they’re perfect for Rika!!! I hope the plushy made it to Japan (in any case, if she donated the gifts it’s still great)...
It’s so nice of skaters to let us know they enjoy our presents

VenusHalley

Final Flight
ISU needs to create some bonus for good looking eulers. Most suck and make my heart skip cause it looks like step out or almost falling.... Rika's actually looks like intended jump

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
It is indeed a lovely leap instead of a clumsy looking stumble.

I'm praying for that foot to heal. She is my hope for tech and beautiful skating on ice at the same time.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
ISU needs to create some bonus for good looking eulers. Most suck and make my heart skip cause it looks like step out or almost falling.... Rika's actually looks like intended jump

true! not a fan of eulers for this exact reason. good looking eulers are rare.

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
I don´t know if she has completely healed but I have a good feeling seeing her new creative combo 3A-EU-3S, I think she feels better and jumping even better with time! I seriously want a gold medal for her at NHK. If she still doesn't has her 3lz back she still can score around 156 points in the free skate and around 84 points in the short with the same jump layout as skate canada but with no mistakes, better jumps, spins and step sequence compared to that competition. Go Rika! You can do it! I believe in you! :hap10: