Rika Kihira | Page 68 | Golden Skate

Rika Kihira

readernick

Medalist
So HOW her whole layout look like?
I dont like the flowers in her hair, especially in the short, I dont think the romantic look is suited to the music.
The short program is one of my fave ever. :luv17:

I am also not sold on the packaging this season but I do like her ponytail because the other girls all put their hair up. I like the way her hair.flips around in her jumps. I find it cute.

I believe the planned layout is:
4S
3A+2T
3Lz
3A
3Lz+3T
3Feu3S
3Loop

but it will all depend on her health condition.

lzxnl

Final Flight
It's VERY encouraging that from five 3A attempts so far this season, Rika has landed 4 of them with +GOE and one of them just UR. However, this injury stopping her from jumping a 3Lz is concerning.

A 3Lz is worth 5.9, a 2A is 3.3, so there's a 2.6 point difference. In the bonus, this becomes a 2.86 point difference. +2 GOE on her 3 jump combination means she lost around 3.5 points for not doing a 3Lz.

Similarly, a 3F is worth 5.3, so in the bonus, doing a 3F-3T instead of a 3Lz-3T cost her 0.6 base value, which given +2 GOE means about 0.7 points.

The mistake on the 3Lo cost her quite heavily; a 3Lo(x) (5.39) and a 3F (5.30) are worth similar in terms of base value, so had she performed her 3Lo as well as her 3F, she would have scored another 3 points, give or take. This totals 7 points on TES that she missed out on, not even counting for any jump GOEs.

(I'm not even going to get started on the GOEs for her jumps; in every universe, her jumps look more effortless than Alina's jumps)

She'll need the 4S for SC to have any shot of beating Sasha, and to hope that the judging is less obviously biased.

Logirl

On the Ice
Effortless is just one aspect of his. Alina jumps were bigger and had difficult transition before and after on every jump. And some of her jumps were effortless as well. I score Rika but I am not going to take away from how solid Alina jumps looked. I did not see that with Rika probably the I injury. Both triple axels Landing were not smooth. But I think that is expected with the I I jury. Rika needs those lutzs with triple axels. She is not Evengia who gets big PCS for emoting outward. Rika working on that but not there yet.

skatergurl7

On the Ice
I love Rika’s program, but her costume and the pony tail don’t do her any favor. The off white costume she wore at an ice show (I don’t remember which) was much better. Honestly, these details may seem unimportant for some people, but they change EVERYTHING about her performance. Please, Rika, change the costume and get rid of the pony tail, you’re a star, and you have to look accordingly!

Agreed the pony tail looks too casual, but I like her FS dress a lot

skatergurl7

On the Ice
Yes but she needs that lutz to go ahead of Z. Z is going to beat her in PCS because she is more expressive facially and Z jumps were on point with huge transition before and after on every jump. She has to have bigger tech. She is not going to beat a clean Z with all those hard transition into the jumps Z has without triple Axel's and Lutz. And if Trusov is clean her tech is rightfully so to beat everyone. I think it is a good outing for Rika do to not doing the Lutz and hope for better results when lutz added back.

Agreed with this, rika needs to show more facial expression but her flow and glide are great

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
Its oficially, I will stop watching figure skating, this competition was so stupid, poor Rika, I'm tired of overscored russians skaters sorry but its the true, bye, Rika I hope you skate with love to this sport and avoid what the idiot judges and the ISU says to you, we know how good you are and scires doesn't matter because they are not real

BabySloth

On the Ice
Country
Hungary
Its oficially, I will stop watching figure skating, this competition was so stupid, poor Rika, I'm tired of overscored russians skaters sorry but its the true, bye, Rika I hope you skate with love to this sport and avoid what the idiot judges and the ISU says to you, we know how good you are and scires doesn't matter because they are not real

Don't stop watching because of this. :) Rika needs to build her reputation a little more. And some politicking from clumsy Japanese Fed who are not willing to push their biggest hope for some reason, unlike all the other Feds.
I have confidence that Rika will slay in the GP despite all this. She will have all her jumps back, and more confidence, and we can hopefully enjoy her great skating. You wouldn't wanna miss that.

Logirl

On the Ice
Don't stop watching because of this. :) Rika needs to build her reputation a little more. And some politicking from clumsy Japanese Fed who are not willing to push their biggest hope for some reason, unlike all the other Feds.
I have confidence that Rika will slay in the GP despite all this. She will have all her jumps back, and more confidence, and we can hopefully enjoy her great skating. You wouldn't wanna miss that.

I do not see these results as bad or surprising without the lutzs Rika is similar to Mao Asada. She needs the lutz and triple axels to be second to a clean Trusova. She needs a quad to challenge a clean Trusova. Considering her injury she did well here. I am looking forward to a full recovery and return of all her jumps.

readernick

Medalist
Effortless is just one aspect of his. Alina jumps were bigger and had difficult transition before and after on every jump. And some of her jumps were effortless as well. I score Rika but I am not going to take away from how solid Alina jumps looked. I did not see that with Rika probably the I injury. Both triple axels Landing were not smooth. But I think that is expected with the I I jury. Rika needs those lutzs with triple axels. She is not Evengia who gets big PCS for emoting outward. Rika working on that but not there yet.

Alina's jumps were bigger? Are you sure? I don't think so. Did you see the height on Rika's 3A? Alina looked good here. She had nice transitions into some jumps like her 2A but she has never had the highest jumps. Her jumps also don't cover much distance. Despite that, I am fine with Alina's score. She is Olympic champion and she will get overscored.

I am not fine with Rika's score. Rika's BV was still several points higher than Alina's without a 3lz. The judges just hosed her in PCS and GOE. Alina may have more facial. expressions but that only tied into intrepretation.. but Rika has better posture and better skating skills, Her transitions are well executed. Her GOE and PCS were way underscored. It happens a lot to Japanese ladies.

Zora

On the Ice
I looove Rika's new long program. Maybe my favorite this season. Very thought-out and creative, especially the change of pace in the step sequence. I don't care that much about the technical score, for me her PCS were too low and still too close to Sasha's and too far away from Alina's.

Logirl

On the Ice
Alina's jumps were bigger? Are you sure? I don't think so. Did you see the height on Rika's 3A? Alina looked good here. She had nice transitions into some jumps like her 2A but she has never had the highest jumps. Her jumps also don't cover much distance. Despite that, I am fine with Alina's score. She is Olympic champion and she will get overscored.

I am not fine with Rika's score. Rika's BV was still several points higher than Alina's without a 3lz. The judges just hosed her in PCS and GOE. Alina may have more facial. expressions but that only tied into intrepretation.. but Rika has better posture and better skating skills, Her transitions are well executed. Her GOE and PCS were way underscored. It happens a lot to Japanese ladies.

I understand that Rika BVS higher than Alina but it needs to be even higher. Trusova best Alina because of huge Tech score and rightfully so. The bottomline is that judges vaule the outward emoting more how else can you explain how Evengia stays in the running with less Tech. And yes I do think Alina jumps were bigger and entered into with difficult transition and out that is where the GOE comes from. Rika has to get better at where it counts and that is emoting. Rika Landing on both triple axels were not smooth. She had No transition in to and out of those jumps. But again with her being injured No surprise so I do not see the unfair judging.

cheerio2

On the Ice

Agree with all this. Rika's skating skills are gorgeous, and her posture is better. Totally hosed on PCS and GOE.

Rika had plenty of difficult transitions as well, and in addition, she has proper jump technique on all jumps. Any added GOE from Alina's transitions should have been reduced by Alina's prerotated, blade assistance takeoffs.

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
Agree with all this. Rika's skating skills are gorgeous, and her posture is better. Totally hosed on PCS and GOE.

Rika had plenty of difficult transitions as well, and in addition, she has proper jump technique on all jumps. Any added GOE from Alina's transitions should have been reduced by Alina's prerotated, blade assistance takeoffs.

EXACTLY!, I'm tired of this

VenusHalley

Final Flight
Hopefully Rika was just taking it easy at for fun competition and we see her healthy and with full content at GP.

If her ankle does not bother her she should go for her quad. UR calls on quads are very lenient these days, so she may get full credit even if it is not perfect.

readernick

Medalist
Anyway, back to positivity because The Japan Open is not important. Rika really performed so much better here in terms of interpretation. I think that this program will keep growing and will be beautiful by the end of the season.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
New interview by Rika. She talks about her 3A, 4S, 4T and why she chose Shae-Lynn as a choreographer.
Q: Last season was your senior debut. You achieved a wonderful success. Personally, if you could give yourself a score how many points would you give?

R: I experienced a lot of good and bad things, I think it was a season where I developed my confidence, so about 70 points.

Q: What kind of aspect was not enough for the remaining 30 points?

R: At Japanese Nationals and Worlds I was unable to adjust my boots properly, so I could not perform the programs like I wanted to. But recently I managed to adjust my boots by myself.

Q: That is a big accomplishment. How are you able to grasp something like the feeling of sensitivity?

R: I have been told many times about “sensitivity”, but for me it’s more like this kind of feeling “If I can’t jump then I can only switch them” *laughs* On the contrary “I’m not concerned about it”, it’s something that can’t be understood.

Q: So do you experience the same condition while wearing normal shoes?

R: Not at all. When it comes to normal shoes any kind of it would be fine *laughs*

Q: At Worlds, it must have been considerably hard to adjust your boots, right?

R: Yes, I ended up wearing different boots in SP and FP. I used new boots in the SP but they were ill-fitting for me; in the FP I skated using the old ones I usually wore up to that time.

Q: Looks like it would be better if it was a bit improved. This off-season, are there any kind of other activities you are spending your time on?

R: I performed at Stars on Ice, went to Colorado for choreography, I sort of trained every day without resting for even one day. Even though it was called “off-season” the way I am spending the time doesn’t change from when I am in the middle of the season. Or more precisely, now I am training much longer than in the middle of the season.

Q: Right now what kind of training are you focusing on?

R: I am setting up the jumps properly for my SP and FP. And then training for 4S and 3A.

Q: And what’s your feeling about the 4S?

R: I think it it’s quite improved. In a sense, even if there was underrotation, I am able to jump it several times in a day. Even when I feel, physically, that in the jump “the rotations right now are off”, the times that I was told that “that one now is a clean jump” gradually increased.

Q: Do you plan to put in the 4S during the season?

R: That’s the plan. Right now I am practicing in runthrough by jumping 3S but onwards, I want to successfully put the 4S in.

Q: Looking forward to it. This season’s SP, Breakfast in Baghdad is really a great song to dance to.

R: Shae-Lynn presented several programs to me. I wondered if I could express something I have never tried before, and I chose it. The choreo was done efficiently, it is an upbeat and intense program, physically it is pretty exhausting *laughs*. But I think after skating it repeatedly I developed the energy along with it. From now on I want to train with the thought that I strive to do well no matter what song they gave me.

Q: Looks like there is no time to even take a breather.

R: In previous programs, after I finished a spin there was a moment to take a breather like “huff”, but in this SP after the spin ends transitions are inserted so it is a busy program *laughs*

Q: Is it difficult to get the jumps’ timing too?

R: It was really hard at the beginning, it took me about two months to get the timing successfully.

Q: Even the 3A?

R: This is something I realized recently, but, regarding 3A, the percentage of landing it is higher with uptempo songs. At the beginning, I thought “I can’t do it, it’s too pressing”, but on the contrary in the FP with a slow tempo song, more or less I experienced more difficulties. Before I jump, the longer I hold the set up, I lose control and it’s hard to maintain the axis. Maybe my timing is a bit fast, that’s why I think faster tempo suits me more.

Q: It’s the first time you collaborate with Shae-Lynn, what are you thoughts on the actual choreo process?

R: The choreo process took time, about 5 days, but it was hard unlike anything I have experienced before. I tried different patterns countless times and because it has many difficult movements I had muscle pain everywhere *laughs*. But she guided me intensely through the detailed parts, I really learned a lot.

Q: What is the reason you requested Shae-Lynn’s choreo for this season?

R: I watched Wakaba-chan’s (Higuchi) 007 Skyfall and Rika-chan’s (Hongo) Kill Bill and thought “Ah, these choreographies are nice”. From the middle of the previous season I was thinking “I want to try it once”, “What happens now?”. As a result it became a new challenge for me, I think it’s good that I made that decision. I felt that in those 5 days I got a lesson that changed my own skating.

Q: Since she is a teacher coming from Ice Dance, there are a lot of things that should be learned from her, aren’t there.

R: Really fascinating skills, she is a teacher who has high ideal skating standards. She showed me how to actually use my entire body to perform. I understand it well, it means that “I want to let out that kind of intensity”, it was really manageable.

Q: On the other hand, the FP ‘International Angel of Peace’ is choreographed by Tom Dickson, what kind of program is it?

R: The songs of several faiths from around the world are used. I am expressing an angel who unifies them, and the theme of the program is 'To Hope for World Peace’. I really like this, even though there are some difficulties, such as the fact that each scenery requires me to portray different movements and expressions.

Q: Turns out it is a program with a heavy theme, in what way was the choreo introduced to you?

R: I was told the tale numerous times, it was conveyed to me that I should view the theme of the program as an important one. The movements to express the anger against war are filled with the thoughts of a peaceful world. There is a meaning in each part of the choreo. I want to express it respectfully.
Like in the beginning of Yuzuru Hanyu’s Seimei, there is also the presence of Japan in the choreography, matching the arm movements to the sound of Shakuhachi (Japanese bamboo flute).

Q: So the expression also changes according to each song.

R: The means of expression (t/n: on and off ice) are respectively different. Even if you can move your hands and shoulders well on land, you must grasp the balance while doing it on the ice, I think it is really difficult. I want to fill up my training until I can do such moments in the season.

Q: Your programs match the music wonderfully. How do you feel about your own musicality?

R: There are a lot of people who are better than me *laughs*. As for me, like singing the song inside of my head, I think of the movements I want to do on some melody. Since I was young I am conscious of matching my movement with the music. If I was told “this movement for this melody” while getting the choreography, I want to be able to match that melody. Even if I am not told so, I think of “let’s match this melody”.

Q: You really have good sensibility to music too. About the costumes, have you decided on both the SP and FP ones?

R: To match the up tempo movements in the SP I think bright colours would be good, so I prepared a red and a blue version. I think the design will give off a mature vibe.

Q: Is it a pants-style costume?

R: No, it’s a skirt. What I was wearing at FaOI was the EX Costume for “The Greatest”. The SP costume is not finished yet, so I wore the black pants.

Q: Is that so. What kind of image does the FP costume have?

R: The designer just told me the imagery, the colour is light green with sparkles, it is tailored to match every scenery on that program.

Q: You performed at FaOI with Yuzuru Hanyu. Did you receive any influence from him?

R: There is the collaboration with ToshI. While ToshI was adjusting the music Hanyu-san was standing in the rink and doing some image-building. I can’t perform on the actual day without checking practice numerous times. But Hanyu-san can build the image of the program inside his head; I want to learn that aspect gradually. I also want to learn from his ability to focus.

Q: Well then, you also have the ability to focus.

R: My problem lies with my sleep. If I don’t get enough sleep I lack the power to concentrate. It’s like, by lacking sleep even the content of my program changes. I’m influenced by the quality of my sleep. The more I think of “I can’t fail” “I definitely want to jump it”, I can’t sleep well. I must do something for it. I think it would be nice if I can overcome this somehow.

Q: It has been decided that your GP assignments are Skate Canada and NHK Trophy this season. What kind of competition do you want to do?

R: During last season’s GP Final in Canada I was able to get a good result and it left a good impression on me; at NHK Trophy there will be no time difference so I think it’s nice and it’s easy to adjust to.

Q: What is your goal this season?

R: In any kind of competition, I want to get high scores in both SP and FP, I want this to be the season where I would be able to increase my personal best score. If I can compete at Worlds, I think it would be nice if I can stand on the podium.

Q: Kihira the athlete is aiming for the gold medal at Beijing Olympics. In this moment, do you have any concept, while imagining the things you are going to do?

R: No injuries until the Olympics. I think I want to challenge the Olympics while having a “leeway” in my mind. Taking the completed form (t/n: sort of like her final form) with me during these remaining two years. During the last season (before the Olympics), I think it would be nice if the state of my mind can be more like “a little bit, maybe I can water down the elements of the program” “competitions are fun”. For the sake of that, I think “from now on of how much training I could do, how much experience can I accumulate”.
I don’t want to have such days where I feel relaxed like “maybe today I should take it slowly”, I think I want to go through this by staying completely focused.

Q: Are you going to stay on your guard?

R: Losing focus for a little bit leads to injuries. As long as I am skating, by staying focused I can spend my days by thinking of things like “I wonder how I should go through to perform the best program at a competition” I think I must compete with my own self.

Q: About wanting to get into your “completed form” in the remaining two seasons, Are you going for the challenge of inserting 4T in next season?

R: I won’t have any leeway in my mind if I could not jump two type of quads. The elements of the program will be more flexible and there will be more range of choices, like jumping one type of quad 2 times. I want to complete 4T too, but really I’m not too good at Toeloop, so looks like it would take some time. First I’d like to attempt it while re-evaluating my 3T.

Q: What’s the difficulty of the 4T?

R: I can do the rotations, but the axis is off. I think if the axis is straight it can be executed well. There is no other way but to maintain the axis and training to get a higher rate of success.

Q: Thank you. Lastly, please give your message to the fans.

R: Thank you very much for always giving me a lot of support. This season I’m going to challenge the 4S. Both in SP and FP I will also face a challenge I’ve never experienced before. I will do my best to have better results than in the previous seasons, and try to improve gradually for the Olympics.
Source: https://rika-kihira.tumblr.com/post...ihira-interview/amp?__twitter_impression=true