Rika Kihira | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Rika Kihira

Watch

Final Flight
Rika, Rika, Rika. I didn't know her before, so this was... quite something. Congratulations!

gossipcow

Rinkside
Congratulations Rika! I am thrilled that she nailed both 3A's in the program. She's one of the ladies I am rooting for this season and I love her FS, it's so much more polished now than when she first debuted it during the summer. Hope she continues to do well.

A shame about the 3S at the end, but she managed to recover into her ending pose. Also, is it just me or is she getting more distance on her 3A now?

rikaquegira

On the Ice
Congratulations Rika! I am thrilled that she nailed both 3A's in the program. She's one of the ladies I am rooting for this season and I love her FS, it's so much more polished now than when she first debuted it during the summer. Hope she continues to do well.

A shame about the 3S at the end, but she managed to recover into her ending pose. Also, is it just me or is she getting more distance on her 3A now?

I think she has done something to her 3A technique. Probably because her body was changing so she had to kind of relearn the jump. Not only the 3A but her other jumps look bigger too when she nails them.
I love that about her, she just keeps improving!
Artistically, she’s growing too. I love when she works with Dickson, I think he gives her the best programs! I wish she would work only with him but ok. I’m getting fond of her SP. I saw a comment one of these days that I don’t even know of whom the comment was talking about but it was something along the lines of “when a skater has great SS I don’t mind some generic loveliness”. I think that totally applies to Rika’s short. She has enough quality in her skating to pull off what would be a terribly boring and forgettable program if it was other skater.

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
such a beautiful FS for Rika and awesome performance! She has my favourite program of the ladies so far this year :love:
congrats on beautiful 3As too!!

FSLover17

On the Ice
such a beautiful FS for Rika and awesome performance! She has my favourite program of the ladies so far this year :love:
congrats on beautiful 3As too!!

I agree she was incredible! The focus is always on the Russian ladies but I genuinely think that if Rika can nail those 3As she can be world champion. The Japanese ladies have the best programs this year and hers is the best!

madmax

Rinkside
So, now it's certified that Rika is the main threat to russian ladies supremacy.
I hope she can handle japanese media pressure.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here is a short video we were able to get from Rika, but we didn't have a translator at the time so it's only in Japanese. :)

gotoschool

Medalist
Fabulous performance in the long program. I haven't seen the short yet. Rika displayed marvelous skating skills with sharp and smooth edges and expressive arm movements while running a relentless gauntlet of jumps with beautiful two arm tanos including two triple axels and a triple axel / triple toe combo and excellent flexibility in the Biellmann and I spin.

Vilord

Final Flight
Country
Sweden
Does anyone know if Rika can do an +Eu+3S combination. As far as i know 3S is a strong jump from her and I noticed that there is about 1point in BV to win if she where to change her layout to incorporate it.
It would of course be even better to have a +3Lo combination but I feal like Salchow is a stronger jump for her than Loop.

Current layout (jumps only):
3A+3T
3A
3Lo
3Lz+2T
--
3F
3Lz+2T+2Lo
3S
Total BV 52,65
alternative layout 1:
3A+3T
3A
3Lo
3Lz+2T
--
3F
2A+Eu+3S
3Lz
Total Bv 53,53

Alternative layout 2
3A+3T
3A
2A (a chance to repeat 3A in case she popps one)
3Lz+3Lo
--
3F
3Lz+2T+2Lo
3S
total Bv 54,65

Vilord

Final Flight
Country
Sweden
her easiest layout change that would boost diff would be swapping the 3Lz-2T to a 3T

She cant do that. She can only repeat 2 tripples and now she chooses 3A and 3Lz which is the two most valuable. If she where to ad a 2nd 3T she will have to replace the 2nd 3Lz with a 2A
That layout has a Bv of 52.69 so only an increase with 0.04 which is basically nothing.
The addition of a +Eu+3S or +3Lo combination allows her to do two 3-3 combinations and still repeat 3A and 3Lz

rikaquegira

On the Ice
Her current layout is the best for her, given that her focus is consistency and these are the jumps she’s used to do in almost the same order as she’s used to(i.e. she always finishes with 3S). The only great change to layout and that would make a huge difference would be adding the 4T.
I’m glad they will only put it in the program when it’s perfected. [emoji120]

doublequad

On the Ice
She cant do that. She can only repeat 2 tripples and now she chooses 3A and 3Lz which is the two most valuable. If she where to ad a 2nd 3T she will have to replace the 2nd 3Lz with a 2A
That layout has a Bv of 52.69 so only an increase with 0.04 which is basically nothing.
The addition of a +Eu+3S or +3Lo combination allows her to do two 3-3 combinations and still repeat 3A and 3Lz

yeah i forgot her 3A counts toward zayak :laugh:

Vilord

Final Flight
Country
Sweden
I get that her main goal for this season is to be consistently clean which will be important in building her reputation. I was only thinking of relatively "easy" ways for her to increase her BV.
You must agree that adding a 2A+Eu+3S is lower risk than the 4T.
Although the reward is also bigger (BV of 58-59 depending of what it replaces)

breadstal

Record Breaker
I don't think that this season she needs to worry about increasing her BV when it's so high anyway though :think: She should add some transitions and just polish her elements and work on her performance and interpretation.

firal

Record Breaker
Anyone who speaks japanese who can translate it?

"I was nervous, but I was able to give my best, oh maybe not the best but almost best, performance. Happy about that. This was my first outing as a senior and I was happy it started with a good result. I want to continue to improve and have PBs for all the competitions to come! I am glad that I was able to land 3As under the nervous atmosphere. "

Love the FP! I think it will become her signature program. Everything works and I am really looking forward to her performance this season.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Under the current scoring system, Rika Kihira now holds the world record for highest ladies FS score of all time!

It's also the seventh highest FS score of all time across all genders.
EDIT: no, it's not. Wikipedia hadn't updated the scores from the men's Autumn Classic yet...