Rika Kihira | Page 52 | Golden Skate

Rika Kihira

Minoru

Rinkside
But I think she should keep challenging 3A in SP. It's 5 to 6 point difference bigger than the 2A 3T in fs and her biggest advantage against Russian 3A!

As for judging, better than the Japan national. At least Mai over Kaori was good judgment.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Thanks for the data. It's a smart decision!
Congratulations Rika!
There are Japanese skate funs criticizing that she raments about shoes problems, finger injuries to excuse just in case she failed. Come-on she is just honest and simple, has not learned how to play poker game.

But we knew about the injury before the SP? And since when are injuries “excuses“? Honestly, these skaters are doing so much and working so hard, belittling them like that and wanting perfection all the time just seems wrong. Rika has been amazing this season! Why not celebrate and be proud that she‘s doing all that while having issues like boot problems and a finger injury? This attitude that skaters have to be at 110% every competition is exactly why so many hide their injuries. I think it‘s not right. They are human beings, not robots.

And I can‘t see any failure in winning 4CC either. :laugh:

I agree that the SP is a bit of a problem, though. She could lose a lot of points if she keeps missing that 3A. Even a 2A would do, just not waxel. But I still think that she should continue to try the 3A in the SP. Not even because it‘s a threat against anyone but because she personally will want it to be consistent. And imagine the moment when she‘ll finally have a clean SP and FS!

doublequad

On the Ice
She needs to have the 3A in her SP to keep her advantage. Two 3A's vs one 3A would depend on the results after the short, I'd think.

Watch

Final Flight
But we knew about the injury before the SP? And since when are injuries “excuses“? Honestly, these skaters are doing so much and working so hard, belittling them like that and wanting perfection all the time just seems wrong. Rika has been amazing this season! Why not celebrate and be proud that she‘s doing all that while having issues like boot problems and a finger injury? This attitude that skaters have to be at 110% every competition is exactly why so many hide their injuries. I think it‘s not right. They are human beings, not robots.

But don't you see, she wore mismatched boots and injured her finger just to have an excuse! It's so obvious!

Gosh, "fans" can be ridiculous...

lzxnl

Final Flight
But don't you see, she wore mismatched boots and injured her finger just to have an excuse! It's so obvious!

Gosh, "fans" can be ridiculous...

So she tries so hard to make excuses for herself and still wins every competition (Nationals was rigged). I mean, I wouldn't mind someone who made excuses and won every competition.

Logirl

On the Ice
Disagree

She needs to have the 3A in her SP to keep her advantage. Two 3A's vs one 3A would depend on the results after the short, I'd think.

I dont think she needs it in the short this year. I rather her play it safe and do 2 axle in the short and do the 3lutz and triple toe in the short. That would put her on top in the short against almost all of competitors this year and do the triple axels in the long. Now next year I think she will need triple axel in the short but why risk a World Championship this year on the short. But I will love Rika no matter even if we dont think the same

lzxnl

Final Flight
I dont think she needs it in the short this year. I rather her play it safe and do 2 axle in the short and do the 3lutz and triple toe in the short. That would put her on top in the short against almost all of competitors this year and do the triple axels in the long. Now next year I think she will need triple axel in the short but why risk a World Championship this year on the short. But I will love Rika no matter even if we dont think the same

If Rika does a 2A well, she'll get about 4.5 points for it. If she falls on a rotated 3A, she gets 8, -4 for GOE, -1 for fall for a total of 3. That's sacrificing 1.5 points for a potential 6 points if she lands it like she did in her GPF SP. As long as Rika doesn't waxel or pop the jump again, it's worth it to go for the 3A and fall (but I hope she doesn't hurt herself in doing so).

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20190210-00000008-sanspo-spo
English translation suggests two quads for next season? Can a Japanese speaker confirm?

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Thanks for the data. It's a smart decision!

In an interview I saw on Japanese television, she said that after her first triple axel, her body's natural reaction was not to add a combination. It was at that moment when she determined that her next jump would be the 2A-3T, rather than risk another 3A.

Speaking of interviews, until her English gets good enough to do interviews in that language, somebody needs to teach her to speak slower and shorter for the interpreters. The poor lady at the victory interview could not convey half of the things that Rika said.

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20190210-00000008-sanspo-spo
English translation suggests two quads for next season? Can a Japanese speaker confirm?

The article says she is going back to Colorado to work on her 4S. It says that she is working on including two triple axels and one quad in her free next season. It also says that she has successfully done a 4T in practice, but the article doesn't say which quad she will put into her program (probably TBD)

lzxnl

Final Flight
In an interview I saw on Japanese television, she said that after her first triple axel, her body's natural reaction was not to add a combination. It was at that moment when she determined that her next jump would be the 2A-3T, rather than risk another 3A.

Speaking of interviews, until her English gets good enough to do interviews in that language, somebody needs to teach her to speak slower and shorter for the interpreters. The poor lady at the victory interview could not convey half of the things that Rika said.

The article says she is going back to Colorado to work on her 4S. It says that she is working on including two triple axels and one quad in her free next season. It also says that she has successfully done a 4T in practice, but the article doesn't say which quad she will put into her program (probably TBD)

Hmm, so bad that she couldn't put a 2T after it? The 3A did look really nice though.

If she puts a quad in next season, she's likely going to need either a +3Lo or a +3S combo to maximise her TES. I feel she's going to go for the latter, although it'll be curious what she does.

rikaquegira

On the Ice

Anyway, we shall see how she'll do this season. I cannot wait!! I hate off-season!! And the closer it gets the more I can't wait! I'm rooting for her all the way! Can you imagine if she makes the GPF??? That'd be crazy!
:dance3:

Rika Kihira has been selected for NHK host spot.
I’m so happy!!!! I hope she has a clean Free Skate there, it would be beautiful! ❤️

Going down the memory lane and finding these posts.
My dreams came true!
:laugh2:

Rika comes through. :handw:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
oh, you'll see her live!! what a privilege!
Please, give us a full report after. :biggrin:
I hope to see her live one day. :pray:

Hhhhhmmmm... I have to see it before I believe it. Was pretty skeptical about Soma coming, and part of me doesn’t really see the point of Rika coming to The Hague for a relatively small competition after her major achievements this season so far. But if she comes, that would be wonderful! :cheer:

lzxnl

Final Flight
Hhhhhmmmm... I have to see it before I believe it. Was pretty skeptical about Soma coming, and part of me doesn’t really see the point of Rika coming to The Hague for a relatively small competition after her major achievements this season so far. But if she comes, that would be wonderful! :cheer:

I suspect Rika wants more attempts at her short.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Hhhhhmmmm... I have to see it before I believe it. Was pretty skeptical about Soma coming, and part of me doesn’t really see the point of Rika coming to The Hague for a relatively small competition after her major achievements this season so far.

And that was set up before her finger injury.