Rika Kihira | Page 82 | Golden Skate

Rika Kihira

denise3lz

On the Ice
Country
Japan
She will skate at KANKU (Kansai International Airport) Ice Arena opening ceremony and exhibition today (Dec 25, 2019)

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
https://twitter.com/rikak_fans/status/1209235640090611724?s=20

Tweet:

according to this article, after a short break and Nagoya Fest Rika will be headed to Colorado for 3 weeks. She will prepare for 4CC and it seems like she might do Challenge Cup this year as well before Worlds.

Everytime she does one of those dodgy Challenge Cups I get an ulcer. Baby girl cannot afford to skate on crap ice!!!!!

I knew she wanted to skate in a B competition before worlds, and it's actually the same competition as last season

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Only two ladies have won multiple 4CC titles (Fumie Suguri and Mao Asada, each with three), and none have ever won consecutive gold medals there, so Rika could make that piece of history in February.

gotoschool

Medalist
Only two ladies have won multiple 4CC titles (Fumie Suguri and Mao Asada, each with three), and none have ever won consecutive gold medals there, so Rika could make that piece of history in February.

Mao should have won four, but she was underscored in the 4CC's in 2012. I really hope Rika can join the multiple 4CC winning club this season.

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
Mao should have won four, but she was underscored in the 4CC's in 2012. I really hope Rika can join the multiple 4CC winning club this season.

Totally agree

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a long interview with Rika from about a week ago. Unfortunately, there is no translation. However, compared to the interviews at Torino it is wonderful to hear her beautiful voice instead of the translation in English dubbed over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RQiZvvZXjE

Her laugh gives me hapiness

breadstal

Record Breaker
from rikak_fans

According to fan reports today:
- Rika did 3Lz in practice. 3Lz3Lo, 3A, 3F3Lo
- at the show Rika performed Spirit (3S, 3F rippon) + IAOP encore, ending part with 3Lo

Wow, did not expect that. Glad to see 3Lz back, and in good form!

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I was there and I don’t think Mao was underscored, at least not in the long program. She had several mistakes and Ashley skated clean.

gotoschool

Medalist
I was there and I don’t think Mao was underscored, at least not in the long program. She had several mistakes and Ashley skated clean.

I am so happy that Rika finally has her 3Lutz back. I hope that she is able to land it and a triple loop combo in the 4CC's and Worlds.

I think everyone is entitled to their opinion, but Mao received lower PCS in the free skating, had a lot harder tech content and only received 4.71 points for her triple axel, a ur call and almost -2 GOE with the infamous Amano on duty for what looked clean to many including me and Tara Lipinski, while a number questioned the tech calls in the SP as well. Anyway, here is a video that has a lot of criticism of the scoring, as the comments under the video demonstrates. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWnS907QiRU

lzxnl

Final Flight
Firstly, it's great that she's jumping lutzes again, and in combination! Evidently the injury wasn't as serious as some articles suggested.

Secondly, what does this mean for her layout? If she does a 3F-3Loq, she could go for this:

4S
3A-3T
3Lz
3A
3F-3Lo
3F/3Lz-Eu-3S
2A

Which really doesn't do much except replace a 2T for a 2A overall.

Thirdly, good luck for 4CC!

breadstal

Record Breaker
I'm not a fan of -3Lo combos myself, if she's not comfortabale with them enough to put them in competitions, there's not point to them. I think it would better for her to do SEQ+2A tbh. So smth like that:

4S
3A+3T
3A
3Lz
3Lz+2Ax
3F+Eu+3Sx
3Lox

TES is the same, but Max TES (with GOEs) is bigger because of solo 3Lo rather than 2A. +3Lo combos give more excitement I guess, having two 3-3 is more impressive. If she's feeling good about them, I'm fine with it but it's not necessary.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
from rikak_fans

according to fan reports today:
- rika did 3lz in practice. 3lz3lo, 3a, 3f3lo
- at the show rika performed spirit (3s, 3f rippon) + iaop encore, ending part with 3lo

wow, did not expect that. Glad to see 3lz back, and in good form!

yyyyyyyeeeeeeesssssss

lzxnl

Final Flight
I'm not a fan of -3Lo combos myself, if she's not comfortabale with them enough to put them in competitions, there's not point to them. I think it would better for her to do SEQ+2A tbh. So smth like that:

4S
3A+3T
3A
3Lz
3Lz+2Ax
3F+Eu+3Sx
3Lox

TES is the same, but Max TES (with GOEs) is bigger because of solo 3Lo rather than 2A. +3Lo combos give more excitement I guess, having two 3-3 is more impressive. If she's feeling good about them, I'm fine with it but it's not necessary.

2A sequences incur a 20% base value penalty over the entire jump. I'm not convinced that your layout is preferable.

breadstal

Record Breaker
2A sequences incur a 20% base value penalty over the entire jump. I'm not convinced that your layout is preferable.

You're right, I've made a mistake, I typed the combo wrongly and it counted BV of it wrongly. I was not aware of the rule either, so thank you haha Also, by doing 3Lz+3Lo or 3F+3Lo, she would maximize her SP BV. If she's not at least 90% confident about them, there's still no worth of doing them, at least at Worlds. She needs to be clean, especially in SP, to get as much lead as she can. If she is, that would be pretty great.

I guess the best lay-out with this considered, would be this one; two lutzez in second half, with solo 3Lz instead of 2A.

4S
3A+3T
3F
3A
3Lz+3Lox
2A+Eu+3Sx
3Lzx

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
So glad to hear that she is performing 3lz again. Hopefully she can regain top shape for Worlds!

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am so happy that Rika finally has her 3Lutz back. I hope that she is able to land it and a triple loop combo in the 4CC's and Worlds.

I think everyone is entitled to their opinion, but Mao received lower PCS in the free skating, had a lot harder tech content and only received 4.71 points for her triple axel, a ur call and almost -2 GOE with the infamous Amano on duty for what looked clean to many including me and Tara Lipinski, while a number questioned the tech calls in the SP as well. Anyway, here is a video that has a lot of criticism of the scoring, as the comments under the video demonstrates. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWnS907QiRU

Mao did her 3A right in front of me (seated in first row) and it was 2-footed.

gotoschool

Medalist
Mao did her 3A right in front of me (seated in first row) and it was 2-footed.

As a number of video comments mentioned, Ashley Wagner's 3F / 3T backend was two footed in the SP and overlooked with positive GOE, while Mao's triple axel in the LP not only received -1 to -2 GOE but also a decrease in base value from a bogus ur call when it was even slightly more rotated than Ashley's combo that didn't receive any ur calls, for example. As often occurred, Mao was held to a higher standard in tech calls, GOE, touches of the ice with the free leg, PCS, step sequences, and I am merely voicing a widespread view that even Mao herself diplomatically alluded to in a general sense after retirement. "Two footed landings" in Mao's case are often small touches of the ice swinging the landing free leg that are overlooked in other skaters, as in this competition, and even a couple of examples this season. Then as now, the JSF does not or cannot help it's women skaters get their top challengers the scores they deserve because of their lack of political power or their unwillingness to use it for certain skaters compared to those with more power, with Rika being the most obvious example today, though I really hope she will be scored more favorably.

Ulrica

On the Ice
I'm so glad she got her lutz back :hap10:

And she's even got a 3lutz-3loop now! Holy cow, she could do that and the 3A in the short program and get her record back :yes2:

BabySloth

On the Ice
Country
Hungary
Does anyone know why is Rika doing so many competitions? I mean she has 3 comps left 4CC, Challenge Cup, and Worlds with 2 months left from the season...

It sounds a bit too much and I had the feeling last year that she was a bit tired for Worlds and exhausted by WTT...I really hope this doesn't happen again.