Rika Kihira | Page 88 | Golden Skate

Rika Kihira

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
Good luck to Rika in Canada!
Does anyone know how she picked the music for the previous two seasons? I'd like for her to keep it up as her Storm was a genius choice, and I rather liked both of her picks for this season. Very original, so I hope she stays that way. I guess her programs for this upcoming season are probably decided already anyway.

randomfan

Record Breaker
Good luck to Rika in Canada!
Does anyone know how she picked the music for the previous two seasons? I'd like for her to keep it up as her Storm was a genius choice, and I rather liked both of her picks for this season. Very original, so I hope she stays that way. I guess her programs for this upcoming season are probably decided already anyway.

Not too sure, but I think Beautiful Storm may have been her choreographer Tom Dickson's idea. He did a program for Angela Wang a few years before with the same music, so maybe he felt convinced that he can use the music again for Rika?

But again, AFAIK there hasn't been any official source (or Rika herself) who confirmed this. So it's just my guess!

Vemvane

On the Ice
I've been watching past skating competitions on YouTube and came across Rika's skates at the 2017 JGP stage in Riga. The SP (https://youtu.be/cXXbgdjYcuI?t=13981) was not her best, but even though she had some problems with her jumps, her actual performance was already marvellous. She really does feel her music, and is so expressive in this skate!

Then she had a super FP (https://youtu.be/hzUS9fh0YAQ?t=17094), where she went for the triple axel at the very beginning, and then just flew through the rest of it. Her arms and hands are so soft and lovely, and she carries them so well throughout. Plus, she has so much presence and poise on the ice. And, while I know so very little about technique, her footwork looks so pleasing to the eye - she really just glides across the rink, with a beautiful soft knee, making it appear effortless, while also being quick and powerful. I want to say her edges must be good, to give that impression, but, like I said, I know very little about technique, so don't know what it actually is that makes her footwork so pleasant.

I was not a figure skating fan at this point, so watching Rika's junior seasons is really fun, especially knowing that she would land up ranked world number one at the end of her second senior season, and seeing the potential already there.

readernick

Medalist
Rika has been performing some lovely combination jumps in practice. I saw an 3Aeu3S last week and 3F3Lo on twitter last night. I assume her aim is to prepare for a program with two quads. Her jumps are looking effortless.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
I'm impressed she managed to cross all those borders.

Now I don't need to worry that she's not getting ice time.

Someone posted that she's in different boots again but I'm like: Going to save my sanity and not even think about Rika's boots.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
Rika has been performing some lovely combination jumps in practice. I saw an 3Aeu3S last week and 3F3Lo on twitter last night. I assume her aim is to prepare for a program with two quads. Her jumps are looking effortless.

Yeah I think it's all about the quads now. The triples look so easy for her and they are higher too.

Who says you can't jump after puberty eh!!!!!

lzxnl

Final Flight
With the exception of a 3A-3A and similar sequences, I think Rika could jump any combination of triples, even a 3A-Eu-3F if she really tried.

readernick

Medalist
I am currently sick and at home. Spending far too much time posting on this site. But, also have time to rewatch some of Rika's performances. I guess I am in the minority but I still really love her SP from last year. It was, my favorite SP last year, and the best SP Rika has ever had (imho) While she got the highest score at 4CC ( due to her lutz being back) I actually think her best performance of the short was at Skate Canada. She really had speed and attack in that program which works with that wirky music and the step sequence was bang on the music. My favorite long program this year was definitely at Challenge Cup. Her skating and performance were perfect. My favorite exhibition ever is definitely her 4CC 2002 performance. Do you think it could be turned into a SP? That music and movement style suit her so well. However, my favorite all around Rika performance is still NHK 2018. There program. is perfect and her execution sublime. When I am sad or sick, I love watching that program. I sure Rika will have many grand performances in the future.

I hope any coaching difficulties are soon resolved. I want to see a clean program with a quad from Rika.

readernick

Medalist
Lovely 3Lz3lo from Rika on instagram today! She is really getting some lovely height on her 3Lz and 3F since coming back after the rink closures. I think I prefer the timing of the 3F3lo to the timing of the 3lz3lo. I feel like the loop at the end of the 3F3lo combo is higher more likely to be fully rotated.

lzxnl

Final Flight
Lovely 3Lz3lo from Rika on instagram today! She is really getting some lovely height on her 3Lz and 3F since coming back after the rink closures. I think I prefer the timing of the 3F3lo to the timing of the 3lz3lo. I feel like the loop at the end of the 3F3lo combo is higher more likely to be fully rotated.

https://www.instagram.com/stories/r...ource=ig_story_item_share&igshid=brnsawe2h8s8

The lutz is indeed pretty massive. Don't know which jump is better though tbh. Will be interesting to see what she does.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
According to Rika's insta story she is in Egna now. Visiting Benoit. So I guess we can expect a Benoit program this season? :)

readernick

Medalist
According to Rika's insta story she is in Egna now. Visiting Benoit. So I guess we can expect a Benoit program this season? :)

Benoit is definitely not a choreographer whose choreography I generally like. However, it is great Rika is constantly trying new things! I am sure it will help her grow.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
So according to this article in Japanese: https://hochi.news/amp/articles/20200826-OHT1T50291.html

Rika got her LP choreo from Lambiel and SP choreo from Benoit. I love how she is always expanding her skills by working with new choreographers.

She was supposed to get programs done by Lori Nichols, but due to travel restrictions she still cannot travel to Canada, so Benoit and Lambiel were kind of her plan B. She got an EX done by Lambiel before, so he least is not completly new for her :)