Na-Hyun Kim | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Na-Hyun Kim

yyyskate

Record Breaker
hopefully that changes once You Young will be JGP eligible
she has a good future and have huge expectations from her.

the thing is that, if ISU only have one quota for Korea (maybe none).... That is really ironic for what it is.

sneakers

Match Penalty
the thing is that, if ISU only have one quota for Korea (maybe none).... That is really ironic for what it is.

that is what Im thinking too, they are waiting for that right Korean female just as they have found the male Korean token, Jun Hwan.
unlike Russia and Japan, many of their skaters get the bonus PCS no matter how many are coming.

s_parks

Record Breaker
Can we stop with the" world against korean skaters" conspiracy theories please? There's a reason why jun hwan actually gets good pcs unlike his compatriots- he has the conviction and the attack(if not very extroverted) in his movements as well as polish, which, quite frankly speaking , the others lack. The koreans need more ice time, and better quality rink too. I don't think mokdong and taereung really cut it.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Can we stop with the" world against korean skaters" conspiracy theories please? There's a reason why jun hwan actually gets good pcs unlike his compatriots- he has the conviction and the attack(if not very extroverted) in his movements as well as polish, which, quite frankly speaking , the others lack. The koreans need more ice time, and better quality rink too. I don't think mokdong and taereung really cut it.

this is not "the world against korean skaters" this is about korean skaters get the PCS they deserve. BB CJH deserve top level PCS as Junior because he is indeed top level, but other Korean skaters also deserve their PCS for their individual levels. The fact is that currently their PCS is toooo low for their performance level.
we are not talking about high PCS, just PCS they deserve in the same competition compare to others based on their performance.
it is toooooooo low.

Last edited:

s_parks

Record Breaker
Oh, and to prove my point- na hyun did get 60+ with a fall on the stsq(which means - goe as well), which doesn't really look like "massively underscored" to me. Also, the protocols for the fs are out- she got hit with a lot of << and < which the tech panel distributed plenty of across the competitors. Her pcs was not bad at all for her lack of reputation. Judge no. 6 might be a frequenter of this fan thread.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Oh, and to prove my point- na hyun did get 60+ with a fall on the stsq(which means - goe as well), which doesn't really look like "massively underscored" to me. Also, the protocols for the fs are out- she got hit with a lot of << and < which the tech panel distributed plenty of across the competitors. Her pcs was not bad at all for her lack of reputation. Judge no. 6 might be a frequenter of this fan thread.

what is her PCS?

yyyskate

Record Breaker
^PCS is one thing, tech call is it deserved? etc.
Anyways, i am not pushing this conspiracy at all. it is really a general sentiment, not only from me but from many other people who are not even a Team Korean fan.
Let us working hard then and become miles better than competitors like BB CJH and hope for the PCS and position.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
If you look at the protocols, Mirai also has one double downgrade and got called on another two. I don't think this was some massive bias against the ladies this time. The panel was harsh across the board and that's not necessarily a bad thing at all.

It can and should be taken as a positive thing. Getting slapped this early for these problems means they can work on them and correct them, come World's. It's important and an important flag for the coaches. At least that's my take on this :confused2:

s_parks

Record Breaker
Happy she was able to hold it together for a clean sp in her gp debut. :clap: Ofc there's a lot of room for improvement(I pretty much agreed with what b.esp. said), but for now, I'm glad to see her perform more consistently than previous seasons. Hope she can do a clean fs as well.

clippers8200

On the Ice
Really solid SGP debut for Nahyun! If she can just get more speed and stronger edges in her skating, she'd be a real force to reckon with. Totally agree with the comments from BESP.

s_parks

Record Breaker
Hope she do well enough at nationals to make worlds and maybe she'll be better funded. Not sure to what extent you can improve SS/pcs only training in Korea, given the circumstances.

s_parks

Record Breaker
lp run through. pops the 2nd 3lo, weird trip-fall, then lands one of her weak jumps, the lz. :laugh: Popped solo 3f. Looks like she changed the layout, 3f-2lo and 2a-2t-2lo now.
Not a bad practice, she fell on 2/3 jumps on the very first practice, then went clean on the 2nd and the sp so I'm sure she'll do just fine! :hap10:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C7Se4x8Ft8

s_parks

Record Breaker
Apparently na hyun had(got?) an ankle injury during skate canada. :( No wonder she didn't do well in the fs. Hope she makes a full and speedy recovery.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I shared this in the Skate Canada Ladies FS but during the warm up a Japanese fan near me dropped something on the ice, Na Hyun skated by, saw and picked it up for the fan, I have uploaded the video to my Tumblr to share with you guys. She's got a kind soul.

The video was taken on Snapchat so it cuts off right as she hands over whatever they dropped but my side of the audience applauded her for what she did.

As for her actual skating she is extremely slow compared to the other ladies. her 3Lo-3Lo is mostly underrotated as she landed it on my side and I could see the hook but if she keeps working at it I think she can get it. She needs to look up more but her House of Flying Daggers program was really gorgeous, I hope she can skate it to perfection, it was actually one of my favourite programs of the night, not favourite performance because she did make mistakes but it's gorgeous and can only get better. I'm real sorry to hear about her injury, that 3F that she popped, she kept practicing it in the warm up and she did look like she was in a little pain, I hope she gets better soon!

s_parks

Record Breaker
I shared this in the Skate Canada Ladies FS but during the warm up a Japanese fan near me dropped something on the ice, Na Hyun skated by, saw and picked it up for the fan, I have uploaded the video to my Tumblr to share with you guys. She's got a kind soul.

The video was taken on Snapchat so it cuts off right as she hands over whatever they dropped but my side of the audience applauded her for what she did.

As for her actual skating she is extremely slow compared to the other ladies. her 3Lo-3Lo is mostly underrotated as she landed it on my side and I could see the hook but if she keeps working at it I think she can get it. She needs to look up more but her House of Flying Daggers program was really gorgeous, I hope she can skate it to perfection, it was actually one of my favourite programs of the night, not favourite performance because she did make mistakes but it's gorgeous and can only get better. I'm real sorry to hear about her injury, that 3F that she popped, she kept practicing it in the warm up and she did look like she was in a little pain, I hope she gets better soon!

It's great that you got to go- did you sit on the judges side? The 3lo-3lo looked clean enough to me but then again, I have not seen her live nor am very good with rotations. Was it a clear UR or borderline, like 1/4(not sure how I feel about that rule half the time)? It's interesting; the loop combo very tricky but she's been credited with it a number of occasions(including both sp and fs at SC), while the jump that seems to really get her(aside from the flutz) is her 3s, which consistently gets a <. I'm guessing her rotation issues(including her struggle to do a clean -3t combo) has a lot to do with her lack of speed. I do think she's improved her expression and overall consistency compared to last season, so if she does well enough at nationals and onwards, maybe she can get more funding and some training time outside Korea.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
It's great that you got to go- did you sit on the judges side? The 3lo-3lo looked clean enough to me but then again, I have not seen her live nor am very good with rotations. Was it a clear UR or borderline, like 1/4(not sure how I feel about that rule half the time)? It's interesting; the loop combo very tricky but she's been credited with it a number of occasions(including both sp and fs at SC), while the jump that seems to really get her(aside from the flutz) is her 3s, which consistently gets a <. I'm guessing her rotation issues(including her struggle to do a clean -3t combo) has a lot to do with her lack of speed. I do think she's improved her expression and overall consistency compared to last season, so if she does well enough at nationals and onwards, maybe she can get more funding and some training time outside Korea.

Yepp, I sat on the left side of the judges, she practiced her 3Lo-3Lo in the LP maybe twice in front of me? Both underrotated and the one in the FS was slightly better so I'm guessing that's why she didn't get the call. Maybe she used less power to conserve her energy for the FS? She started off with a lot of grit and lost it in the second half, maybe due to stamina or or her ankle. Only about 1/4 underrotated which is why I'm saying if she keeps working she can get at it.

In the SP she did it on the opposite side so I can't see the marks she left, in the SP she needs more abandon at the climax and to look down less. Speed needs time to improve because it affects every single one of your elements and it takes time to adjust but a quicker fix that could help her a lot is to look up a bit and project more at the audience, sometimes her head was raised but her eyes were looking down.

However she continues the tradition of Korean ladies being extremely well dressed, in my video you could see how sparkly she was and the SP dress was extremely chic.