2016 Finlandia Trophy Entries | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2016 Finlandia Trophy Entries

Tereska

Rinkside
Question out of curiosity:

What does it mean when some people are saying that Virtue/Moir "withdrew" from Finlandia this year.

Had their names ever appeared on an official Finlandia entry list?
And/or on the Skate Canada assignment list?

Or had V/M just made an informal comment early on about Finlandia?

I know that they have an old history with Finlandia. Competed there at least once, plus they once were a late withdrawal b/c Scott tweaked his neck, IIRC.

But I apparently have missed the basis for the comments that they "withdrew" this year.​

ETA:
I have stumbled across a reference to V/M and Finlandia on the IFS FB page at the time of HPC ... but did Tessa/Scott refer to Finlandia on camera at HPC? In the YT video attached to the FB post, they themselves do not mention Finlandia.​

Although IFS reported them as being assigned to Finlandia at HPC, it was never confirmed anywhere else, and their names never appeared on the entry list.

CAS

On the Ice
Although IFS reported them as being assigned to Finlandia at HPC, it was never confirmed anywhere else, and their names never appeared on the entry list.

Scott said during High Performance Camp that their next two competitions were Autumn Classic and Skate Canada International so he didn't seem to be aware that at the same time IFS was reporting they were going to Finlandia. It ia possible they may have hoped to go at one point as a lot of teams from Montreal are going but it seems Skate Canada assigned it to Weaver and Poje.
Speaking of them, any idea why they withdrew?

Sackie

Medalist
Wonder if W/P are rethinking things! I mean they were 5th at last year's worlds and with V/M back that bumps them to 6th and with the RUS team scoring so well last weekend - have to wonder where W/P fit into things. And lets face it usually when you are not the countries # 1 team your marks are not as high as when you are. And with this years assignments it is very clear who SC favours cause the home event usually goes to that countries top team.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Scott said during High Performance Camp that their next two competitions were Autumn Classic and Skate Canada International ...

So I will conclude that Virtue/Moir did not withdraw from Finlandia -- because they never were entered in the first place.

And that the IFS reporting was erroneous.

Thanks for your responses:).

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Vera and Andrei are no longer listed....
they will compete in the 2nd russian cup event to be held in October 11
ppl on FSo say its because they're not 100% prapared & the trip wasnt paid for by the Fed so they decided not to go waste money

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Helsinki is literally my favorite city in the World. Followed closely by Stockholm and Valencia Spain.

Am I going to freeze in Helsinki in March? :) I have hearty Chicago blood, but I don't know!

mrrice

Record Breaker
Am I going to freeze in Helsinki in March? :) I have hearty Chicago blood, but I don't know!

I think you'll be fine because you're used to the wind. Lake Arrowhead get's cold but, it doesn't get into sub zero temps like you get in Chicago. Also Lake Arrowhead is surrounded by mountains and unless there's a storm, it doesn't get as windy as it does in Helsinki or Chicago. I still say that coldest place I've ever been is Buffalo New York. We had to wear those full face beanies like this one just to walk around the city. https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1RK_o...ool-Knitted-Beanies-for-Men-font-b-Head-b.jpg We looked like robbers.......

Last edited:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Kaitlyn & Andrew ‏@WeaverPoje 3h
3 hours ago
Good luck to our friends in Finland! Sorry we couldn't b there. Made a big change! See you in MOSCOW!!! @SkateCanada
https://twitter.com/WeaverPoje/status/783999714689703941

Good to finally see them! They kinda went underground in Moscow. Now what is this big change, I wonder? :think: Likely the SD, I think. Similar to last season. I can't see them having issues with Concierto de Aranjuez.