Marin Honda will win this competition | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Marin Honda will win this competition

kalee

On the Ice
I do think the probability of Marin winning is high. She always does better and better in the season. She even won last year in Coronado Spring with a high elevation.
Alina can possibly win too, if she skates clean again.

Marin didn't win in Colorado Springs; it was a splatfest where Yuna Shiraiwa won by virtue of being the only one who scored above 100 points in the FS. IIRC, in the FS Marin missed all her combos, landed every jump messily (though she didn't fall) and scored 95 points or so. Folks on GS were speculating that in her 2nd JGP, she would be told to deliberately lose to Wakaba to get the latter into JGPF. The rest is history :laugh2:

That being said, I actually believe the probability of her winning in Ljubljana is higher than it was in Yokohama. She has back-loaded more content this year which has probably improved her BV especially in the FS, and there will be less pressure on her now that Yokohama is over. If she is clean I would peg her to edge past Alina.

Last edited:

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
Actually I really hope you are right lol. Marin 1st Rika 2nd and Alina 3rd would be perfect so they would all make it to the final!

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Getting back to the thread title...

Marin Honda will win this competition

Nah, the girl on directly before her in the SP will!!! :biggrin: :agree:

:cheer: GO DANNY!!!!!! :cheer:

(Well, if everybody else is turning into a crazy über, I may as well join the club and go all fan-boy too! :laugh: )

CaroLiza_fan

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Getting back to the thread title...

Nah, the girl on directly before her in the SP will!!! :biggrin: :agree:

:cheer: GO DANNY!!!!!! :cheer:

(Well, if everybody else is turning into a crazy über, I may as well join the club and go all fan-boy too! :laugh: )

CaroLiza_fan

Win your heart? :biggrin:

By the way, I didn't recall any skater named by Danny on the list, so looked up at the entry. I guess you meant a skater from Cyprus.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
By the way, I didn't recall any skater named by Danny on the list, so looked up at the entry. I guess you meant a skater from Cyprus.

Yep, we're talking about Daniella Vanessa Ipsarides (although they've spelt her surname differently for her ISU Bio).

I'm friends with her Mum.

And that's her with Liza in my new avatar!

Win your heart? :biggrin:

Win my heart?! At 13 years old, she's young enough to be my daughter! :drama:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Yep, we're talking about Daniella Vanessa Ipsarides (although they've spelt her surname differently for her ISU Bio).

I'm friends with her Mum.

And that's her with Liza in my new avatar!

Win my heart?! At 13 years old, she's young enough to be my daughter! :drama:

CaroLiza_fan

Oh, good for you. Your close friend's daughter is about to take a competition. This event must be very special experience for you.
I thought the tall girl standing next to Liza in your avatar is either Kaetlyn Osmond or Konstantinova. She looks very mature and beautiful.

EDIT: Oops..I mean as a fan, we can cheer for any skater we want like our love for Liza, can't we? :)
I also assumed that you're in mid 20s, so wow...

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Oh, good for you. Your close friend's daughter is about to take a competition. This event must be very special experience for you.
I thought the tall girl standing next to Liza in your avatar is either Kaetlyn Osmond or Konstantinova. She looks very mature and beautiful.

I know! Daniella does look a lot older than she is.

I'm going to upload a bigger version of the avatar to Facebook later. But, in the meantime, here is a link to the original photo I used:

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=9efd4cbf930bb328d58bd6ffb700bdc1&oe=58729157

EDIT: Oops..I mean as a fan, we can cheer for any skater we want like our love for Liza, can't we? :)
I also assumed that you're in mid 20s, so wow...

I'll turn 31 during Skate America.

I know, I'm getting old! :eek:

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
thanks to you now marin will lose.
this same damn thread was made last time.

Well, at least it didn't have as bad an affect as my cheering on did.

Marin Honda is in 4[SUP]th[/SUP] position out of 35 skaters; 10.30 points off the lead, 1.99 points off the girl directly ahead of her but 8.14 off the girl ahead of that.

Daniella Ipsarides is in 35[SUP]th[/SUP] position out of 35 skaters; 49.34 points off the lead, 1.90 points off the girl directly ahead of her (humbaba's choice) but 7.28 off the girl ahead of that.

When you balance everything up, I think Marin is doing OK.

I'm the bigger jinx. :slink:

Sorry Daniella... :cry:

Caroliza_fan

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Eun Soo Lim? Top notch?

Looking at her skating at Asian Open, I'd say she's not especially fast; edges not particularly deep; does a lot of two-footed skating; acceleration not really "effortless"; her performance is rather two-dimensional (not enough vertical movement or upper body movement), spins not particularly fast or stable, jumps are good but not really huge or stable, transitions nothing special, doesn't project out to the audience much (too much time looking down at the ice)... etc etc.

And those are all things I've heard Yukiko Okabe and others comment on, when critiquing skaters' performances on Japanese TV and explaining what things they need to work on. (Okabe is an ISU judge, technical controller and referee).

Eun Soo Lim definitely has big potential, but in my view she's got a long way to go yet. She may have charm or even "star quality"... but it will not surprise me, if she doesn't score highly in PCS at this stage...
after watch Squirtle right after Marin, I think many would disagree with you or the Japanese commentator/ISUjudge/TechnicalController/referee on that part.:biggrin:

BTW thanks for posting such a long list of Squirtle's weaknesses. so Squirtle can improve from it. accurate or not, dont know. at least you are thorough.:biggrin:

Last edited:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
after watch Squirtle right after Marin, I think many would disagree with you or the Japanese commentator/ISUjudge/TechnicalController/referee on that part.:biggrin:

BTW thanks for posting such a long list of Squirtle's weaknesses. so Squirtle can improve from it. accurate or not, dont know. at least you are thorough.:biggrin:
Regarding the part you bolded - speed - yes she has bursts of good speed... but she takes time and effort to build it, and speed is lost in other parts of her program. Also, bear in mind those comments were about her skating at Asian Open - and she had already made some improvements by Ljubljana eg. I thought her projection was better.

It was also by no means thorough - those were just some of the things I pay more attention to after hearing judges' commentaries on TV... there are many more... and even then it might just be the tip of the iceberg of everything that judges consider.

I just wanted to provide sufficient examples to give an idea of the many things that judges are looking at... things that fans enjoying the performance probably would never notice, unless an actual judge points them out in a video (I know it was quite an eye-opener when Okabe critiqued a popular and crowd-pleasing performance by Daisuke Takahashi, and pointed out a multitude of reasons why he didn't get the PCS that the fans thought he "deserved" - including me, at the time...!)

I'm sure the coaches and the skaters themselves are fully aware of what they need to work on - it's the fans who don't, they see only the good and none of the bad... and cry foul whenever their favourite doesn't get the points they would like to see. I think if they knew more about PCS criteria and how judges see things, there wouldn't be nearly as many complaints...

Anyway, as I said - Eunsoo Lim has huge potential. I'm not saying she's bad or anything, only that her journey is just beginning, she has a long way to go yet, and we shouldn't be surprised if her PCS is not so high at this stage. Let's see if she can make the most of her potential as she grows.

Last edited:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
"...it's the fans who don't, they see only the good and none of the bad... and cry foul whenever their favourite doesn't get the points they would like to see. I think if they knew more about PCS criteria and how judges see things, there wouldn't be nearly as many complaints..."
I disagree with your generalization here.
not every fan is like this, quite many on this board are level headed and quite educated. Also express affection or cheering towards certain skaters does not mean that fans do not see their weakness. it is called support. it is all fandom are about. not everything fan will list all the weaknesses exhaustively on their fav skaters' performances all the time. That is really weird. But usually it is fans who know their fav skaters the best including strength and weakness. At times, fans cannot face and deny their fav skaters' weakness and failure. that could cause trouble.
but that is not the case as people complains about Korean skaters' usually get the low end of PCS. I posted that comment on that JGP thread for the first time (not every time). first, judges are NOT always right. They have generally much more knowledge than regular fans, that is true, but scandalous judging exist throughout figure skating history, and everybody knows, nationality, reputation, fed power,starting order,physical appearance etc. (nones of which is included in PCS bullets) plays a huge role in scores. if you deny this, you are being delusional.
second, I made that comment about Korean skaters get low PCS, is based on many cases happened to many skaters from Korea again and again. I finally posted one comment about that. People could do a statistic analysis:biggrin:. but I won't go that far:biggrin: (figure skating and judging is not scientific research after all:biggrin:) but an opposite example to ponder upon is that, people generally will not say that Russian skaters get low PCS or Japanese skaters in Japan get low PCS or American skaters in US get low PCS.
I as a fan of figure skating will continue to try my best educate myself and post level headed posts. but that is just me tho.:biggrin:
EDIT: I personally like people speak out when they see "unfair" scores, and post their independent opinions. Otherwise. for example, if judges said so and so on TV. judges must be reasonable, then scandals like Sochi scandal will never be exposed, cause that is not only your regular judges but the head of ISU tech. he must be right! right?

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
...and she did not! Suprise :p And she lost to Rika Kihira rightfully too. I do like her though, so wouldn't mind her qualifying to JGPF with two second places.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
EDIT: I personally like people speak out when they see "unfair" scores, and post their independent opinions.
The point is this: we have to play the judges at their own game - using the same rules and criteria they do (or are supposed to).

That's the only way we can show if they are right or wrong, according to the rules.

It's not all complaints or "speaking out" I object to... it's the ones that are made without that kind of proper argument or justification (Which is a lot of them)...

...Unless they come from people who have shown in the past that they really know what they are talking about (which is very few of them)...

Last edited:

bosskil

Match Penalty
...and she won the event in program components category! :p

Congratulations, Diamond of Kyoto! :love:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I still think Honda is the better all around skater compared to Rika. Rika is mostly a jumping bean right now and even her jumps are not that impressive not counting the 3axel and who knows how long she will have that when she grows.

Last edited: