Final Flight
Country
Italy
Lozko definitely dinged on the UR's.
Hope she can fix her jumps....and soon.

gsyzf

Medalist
On probability

1. Supposing skaters are assigned at random, any combination of skaters if equally likely. There is no statistical difference between 2 silver medalists assigned to the first event, 2 bronze medalists assigned to the 2nd event and 2 4th place finishers assigned to the 3rd event and any other combination of assignments, Drawing conclusions from sheer probability of this event is meaningless - yeah, its unlikely, but so is any other outcome, and if any other combination of assignments happened, you could have said the same: "it is so unlikely and surely there is some design in that".
All the GP assignments are based on some design and strategies. None of the GP assignment is based on chance and coincidence. What makes this combination appear more intentional is that putting two skaters who have the same placements in the first JGP means one skater doing well will reduce the chances of the other skater qualifying for the final, yet JSF put three pairs of the same placements (two silver medalists, two bronze medalists and two 4th place finishers) in 3 different events. Once is not so suspicious, but JSF does it 3 times.

Last edited:

moriel

Record Breaker
All the GP assignments are based on some design and strategies. None of the GP assignment is based on chance and coincidence. What makes this combination appear more intentional is that putting two skaters who have the same placements in the first JGP means one skater doing well will reduce the chances of the other skater qualifying for the final, yet JSF put three pairs of the same placements (two silver medalists, two bronze medalists and two 4th place finishers) in 3 different events. Once is not so suspicious, but JSF does it 3 times.

My main point there is that calculating probabilities the way you did does nothing to prove it was intentional.

I agree though that this strategy seems weird as it doesnt maximize the number of japanese skaters that will have solid chances for final.

Amer

Final Flight
Country
Italy
Gozhva :eek: :love:
Pity about the combo but the rest of the program was very promising!

gsyzf

Medalist
My main point there is that calculating probabilities the way you did does nothing to prove it was intentional.

I agree though that this strategy seems weird as it doesnt maximize the number of japanese skaters that will have solid chances for final.

My calculation wasn't to prove that combination is intentional, but to show the statistical likelihood of that combination appear by coincidence/randomness is close to 0 because someone said the probability of that combination appear by coincidence is close to 0 is only my assumption. I don't believe any of the GP assignments is due to coincidence. All of them are intentional.

I don't think that strategy is to maximize the number of Japanese skaters that will have solid chances for final, but to give the Japanese skaters who have the same placements in the previous JGP the same chance to qualify for the final.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
i wonder how many skaters Kazakh Fed sent to JGP, i dont remember seeing same skater twice yet (need to check though :biggrin:), my favourite so far is cutie pie Alana Toktarova :luv17:

moriel

Record Breaker
My calculation wasn't to prove that combination is intentional, but to show the statistical likelihood of that combination appear by coincidence/randomness is close to 0 because someone said the probability of that combination appear by coincidence is close to 0 is only my assumption. I don't believe any of the GP assignments is due to coincidence. All of them are intentional.

I don't think that strategy is to maximize the number of Japanese skaters that will have solid chances for final, but to give the Japanese skaters who have the same placements in the previous JGP the same chance to qualify for the final.

The statistical likelyhood of any combination is low. It does not show that that specific combination is not random. What you did was to toss a 1000 sided die, and when it landed on 1000, you said "its very unlikely to land at 1000, so it must be because it is intentional and not a coincedence".
(just speaking about the statistical part, i agree with the conclusion, just not the way you got to it.