2016 JGP Ljubljana Cup Free Dance | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2016 JGP Ljubljana Cup Free Dance

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
The PCS's though :sarcasm:
4 point over P/V. Sorry, I know they are current Junior World champions and all that, but I do not agree with that.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Underwhelmed by M/C. Her posture is quite bad. Suprised nowhere really mentions it...

IMO P/V should win FD. Doubt it will happen though

It just happens. :laugh: Congratulations to the all medalists.

Everyone may have bad days, but M/C would be overtaken by their compatriots or Russians soon unless they try really harder.

Last edited:

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
The PCS's though :sarcasm:
4 point over P/V. Sorry, I know they are current Junior World champions and all that, but I do not agree with that.

at least they didn't have PB in PCS for this skate. My bets are on Parsons this season.

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
And I honestly can't believe how much Polishuk/Vakhnov improved since their first jGP event.

He was injured not long before their first event... But since they were not Fed favourites, they were not allowed to compete at later events.
I guess now the Fed might start seeing them as a factor, since they have tremendous potential.

Rooting them at Junior Nationals and (hopefully) Junior Worlds!

They are pretty young, too. 15/17 years old.

Snow63

Record Breaker
It just happens. :laugh: Congratulations to the all medalists.

Everyone may have bad days, but M/C would be overtaken by their compatriots or Russians soon unless they try really harder.

Honestly, their first event was not much better. They are struggling with elements, lifts, twizzles and even steps. It's two in a row now.

Edit: they had the same TES as Kuzmich/Sinicyn (CZE) and won FD mostly because of PCS.

Last edited:

Snow63

Record Breaker
He was injured not long before their first event... But since they were not Fed favourites, they were not allowed to compete at later events.
I guess now the Fed might start seeing them as a factor, since they have tremendous potential.

Rooting them at Junior Nationals and (hopefully) Junior Worlds!

They are pretty young, too. 15/17 years old.

The funny thing they would have won this competition without that skipped lift in SD. :dbana:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think staying Junior for yet another year has hurt M/C and their skating shows as they've regressed. Maybe if they had moved up they would have been pushed and been more excited and improved but really what do they have to be excited about this season? Another National Junior title? They know they are skating against teams they know they can beat even when they are sloppy. They wouldn't have that luxury as Seniors.

Giselle

Medalist
The funny thing they would have won this competition without that skipped lift in SD. :dbana:

It's too bad because they would have likely made the GPF with a victory here. Unless Loboda/Drozd, the Parsons or Shpilevaya/Smirnov bomb at their 2nd GP it's now unlikely.

skatemd1

On the Ice
I think staying Junior for yet another year has hurt M/C and their skating shows as they've regressed. Maybe if they had moved up they would have been pushed and been more excited and improved but really what do they have to be excited about this season? Another National Junior title? They know they are skating against teams they know they can beat even when they are sloppy. They wouldn't have that luxury as Seniors.

Yes they just had a bad skate, but I don't think you can say they are skating against teams they know they can beat any more even with mistakes. That's clearly no longer the case. Both Parsons/Parsons and Loboda/Drodz would have beaten them easily today - maybe by 10 points. They both have higher scores so far this year in JGPs and have improved greatly since last year, so Worlds is going to be very interesting. M/C are definitely being "pushed" which is probably good for them long-term. Personally, I think P/P are headed for the top in Jr. this year - more polished, cleaner and faster than anyone else, and two beautiful programs. M/C have their work cut out for them to repeat. And P/P have been within a point of them for about a year, so this is not new, with L/D only a few points behind that (though I think their time will be next year - still not as polished as the two Americans). This is going to come down to who skates best on a given day, and any one of these three could be 1st, 2nd or 3rd at the end of this season. There is a real contest this year at Junior.

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
That was a glorious free dance from P/V. They really captured the mood of the music and the R&J story. I think they ages also worked to the programmes benefit, seeing it used in the Senior ranks is a bit odd for me (even though I have enjoyed many of those programmes). This is my favourite free dance of the season so far, so much better than it's first outing. I thought they were marked harshly on the PCS, they should have been a few points higher and be ranked first in both scoring elements.

I enjoyed both the other podium performances. I was a bit disappointed with M/C after the twizzle mistake they were a bit sloppy and I think were lucky to get the victory, probably just an off day. Pleasantly surprised with S/A I preferred this performance to last years, there will be a real battle to make the Russian JW team, a lot of contenders. I also enjoyed the Austrian team, she was born in Russia, he in Germany and they train in the US, truly an international team.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It is always harder to be the pursued than the pursuer. M/C have been given very, very tough choreography and they perform it at top speed, so when they make a mistake it stands out immediately, and they take a big hit for it. Lorraine's mistakes on the twizzles cost them 6 points in TES. You can bet they will be practicing twizzles day in and day out for the next two months.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
And I honestly can't believe how much Polishuk/Vakhnov improved since their first jGP event.

They have WONDERFUL edges. The choreography was a bit meh for me, but they really gel as a partnership. What's interesting is just how influential Hawayek and Baker's program is turning out to be (not so surprising is that they will never be given credit for it!).

The other Russians, S/A, did not impress me at all. I mean at all.

M/C's program is a MESS. The lifts in particular are dreadful and look like a day-and-a-half's work. They have time so I hope they completely revamp it. Personally I would toss it in the garbage bin, but alas it's too late in the day for that. They are in serious trouble for repeating at World's. Right now my money's on the Parsons.