2016 Ondrej Nepela Memorial Free Dance | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2016 Ondrej Nepela Memorial Free Dance

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Why did she cry? Anyone knows? Is it because she didn't catch her blade on that spin?

That and maybe the rotational lift? You can see she tried to open her arms, but the dress started to slip again and she had to hold on to Dima.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
That and maybe the rotational lift? You can see she tried to open her arms, but the dress started to slip again and she had to hold on to Dima.

Maybe, but it still was a difficult position and will be counted for level. Maybe it was painful for her, though? :scratch2:

Edit: maybe something also happened during Diagonal Step Sequence?

Snow63

Record Breaker
My Meldonium Queen! She's smiling finally :luv17:

Lota

Record Breaker
I think it was just probably a difficult performance for them, mistakes here and there that prevented them from feeling satisfied with what they've shown. I'm sad that they're sad, but I like this dance and look forward to seeing them skate it clean.

Snow63

Record Breaker
I think it was just probably a difficult performance for them, mistakes here and there that prevented them from feeling satisfied with what they've shown. I'm sad that they're sad, but I like this dance and look forward to seeing them skate it clean.

It was a good skate actually, their best yet. At least while stream worked, and there wasn't any big mistakes apart the one lost level on that spin.

Lota

Record Breaker
It was a good skate actually, their best yet. At least while stream worked, and there wasn't any big mistakes apart the one lost level on that spin.

Yeah, I think both the spin and the lift threw them off a little. Maybe they were expecting a ~perfect~ performance, but it is true that this is their best outing yet :agree2:

Snow63

Record Breaker
Yeah, I think both the spin and the lift threw them off a little. Maybe they were expecting a ~perfect~ performance, but it is true that this is their best outing yet :agree2:

I would prefer them to win with not a perfect performance. It'll make them work harder! :hap93:

Edit: they did mistakes in both dances actually. It's for the best :) And I'm glad that Katia skated without that knee support from Samara.

Last edited:

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Maybe, but it still was a difficult position and will be counted for level. Maybe it was painful for her, though? :scratch2:

Edit: maybe something also happened during Diagonal Step Sequence?

It could be either or both, or perhaps all the little mistakes combined. They went to skate before Chock and Bates and they knew they would have to do it perfectly if they wanted to win, and isn't this their first international win since 2013? I guess they wanted the medal, and a performance to be proud of. It could be a lot of things - we already saw how they reacted to the fall in Samara, so...

Snow63

Record Breaker
It could be either or both, or perhaps all the little mistakes combined. They went to skate before Chock and Bates and they knew they would have to do it perfectly if they wanted to win, and isn't this their first international win since 2013? I guess they wanted the medal, and a performance to be proud of. It could be a lot of things - we already saw how they reacted to the fall in Samara, so...

Yes, it is :eek: Wow, that was a long time. And despite the mistakes I still think they should be proud.

I wonder if we'll see the whole dance, though... I doubt it now :(

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Yes, it is :eek: Wow, that was a long time. And despite the mistakes I still think they should be proud.

I wonder if we'll see the whole dance, though... I doubt it now :(

Maybe some fans were filming?

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Oh, and I actually saw the performances from the videos HERE, not the stream :)

Yeah, but the video of Bobrova/Soloviev lack almost 50 s of their peformance. The part when stream died.

Lota

Record Breaker
Yeah, but the video of Bobrova/Soloviev lack almost 50 s of their peformance. The part when stream died.

Yeah, sadly the videos are not perfectly intact due to the stream :/ I'll be happy with them though, at least until (hopefully) we' get full videos from somewhere else.

Dots

Final Flight
Yikes! How many points did C/B lost on those twizzles??? They scored almost 10 point lower than their last outing.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Chock/Bates have a lot of work to do for that FD. Technical mistakes are one thing, but that program is one-note and incoherent. Hubbell/Donohue, Hawayek/Baker, and the Parsons (even though they're juniors) have much better free dances this season out of the Americans I've seen so far. With Virtue/Moir coming back strong, the Igor style of packing in choreography and athleticism without much thought into interpreting a theme or choreographing any actual dancing (outside Evan lifting Madison to a beat just to fill up time or them raising their arms in the air or having her caress his face 50 times) to go with the music is looking outdated. Yes, I know Chris Dean co-choreographed this, but the way the choreography fights against the music outside of the opening and flourishes in the lifts is pure Igor.

Last edited:

Astrid56

Final Flight
There's nothing wrong with C/B's FD. What they need to do is to skate it confidently and with conviction. This FD is a contemporary dance (interpretative dancing, if you will) on ice. Their elemental organic movements figuratively express the spirit ... intent ... issues that the dance meant or wanted to convey subliminally. I'm glad they're not just mindlessly creating movements or forms that suit the rhythm (hate to say but Shib's ColdPlay FD was exactly that - beautiful but the movements had nothing to do with theme of the music though occasionally hit the right note). Ever heard of Martha Graham? Of course, you have. Her dancing style is rooted in the innate ability of the body to express something through movements. Look at C/B's expressive hands, arms ... their movements conveying 'pressures' ... stresses. I guess I can relate because of my dancing background (performed creative modern dances in my youth). Anyway, what happened today to them is nothing new ... not unexpected: lost their concentration, could also be fatigue (modern dancing could be emotionally and physically grueling ... draining). It's a good thing they're experiencing these 'things' now - they will learn to handle these better.

Astrid56

Final Flight
Look at the judging panel, not exactly US friendly :(

They lost technical points - understandable (Evan's twizzle error is outrageously glaring and distracting). What's surprising is their PCS. Comparatively, it is just a point or so below the winners (C/B's 53.34 to B/S - 54.54) indicating that in terms of showmanship, they delivered what they intended to present or convey. Also, you can sense they seemed to be just going through the motions ... the flow - visibly lacked concentration (Evan seemed distracted).

But I'd also say that the judging panel was extremely generous to B/S: their performance lacked the fire ... incohesive, at best: I don't know what Zhulin is trying to convey in this FD. Normally, his choreography is nuanced but this borders on bizarre ....

Speaking of choreographic styles_ Balanchine choreographic style - beautiful movements and forms but plotless; Graham's - thematic and unconventional. Both totally acceptable as long as the entertainment value outweighs the deficits.

Last edited: