2016 Ondrej Nepela Memorial Pairs FS | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2016 Ondrej Nepela Memorial Pairs FS

LadyB

Record Breaker
I strongly believe there is more to T/M, and it's still early days in the season to get a bit more passion out of them. I like them, loved the music (more than their SP), but the 'umph' was missing from the delivery. They've got what it takes to medal in a big competition.
Genuinely happy to see K/S back on the ice. I love Sasha just for his personality! They can do better, but they had a major injury again and they're looking at their last Olympic chance. Best of luck to them!

Lota

Record Breaker
I don't know, I really do like this program for T/M :luv17: They've never been the most expressive pair out there, and, don't forget, it's still very early in the season, so I think they will improve on all aspects of their performance later on. Anyway, I think that this pair (and program) is definitely a force to be reckoned with!

QuadThrow

Medalist
Well, T/M did a 4tw3, and it seemed a really good one, although they lost a bit on the landing. Hoping to see them doing it more, because it looked really effortless. And even with the mistakes they got a ten-point lead over K/S on the TES, it's not surprising they won.
Well I appreciate that they went for the 4Tw3. But they lost much GOE. Their 3Tw4 gets at least the same points!

I do no really see the problem. When you watch their triple twist it look so good that you think they could do the quad easily. But he catches her shortly before she lands on the ice. Maybe her rotation is too slow. Sui and alexa are not as high as tarasova but they are caught earlier.

The program is a bit empty. I do not understand why their artistry does not improve over the years. They skate without emotions.

So many questions without an answer.

viennaskater

Medalist
What in the world are T/M skating to? Of all the music in the world this is the best they could come up with?

Well I know that piece and really like it. I personally think it works well for them. It's 'Music' by John Miles. At least it wasn't something we've heard a thousand times before. So far this season we seem to keep hearing 'La Strada'. Gets boring.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Well I appreciate that they went for the 4Tw3. But they lost much GOE. Their 3Tw4 gets at least the same points!

I do no really see the problem. When you watch their triple twist it look so good that you think they could do the quad easily. But he catches her shortly before she lands on the ice. Maybe her rotation is too slow. Sui and alexa are not as high as tarasova but they are caught earlier.

The program is a bit empty. I do not understand why their artistry does not improve over the years. They skate without emotions.

So many questions without an answer.

It's true at this competition that their 3Tw4 got as many points as their 4Tw3- in fact nearly identical points, there was only a .02 point difference. But I think that in terms of a long term plan, it is wise for them to go for it if it's an element they eventually hope to incorporate consistently into their programs. Sure, it is not as high in quality as their 3Tw at this point and the GOE does indeed reflect that, but it is a new element for them and they are getting it out there. It is to be hoped, and indeed it is to be expected, that as they continue to practice it and compete it, it will improve and eventually score higher (maybe even much higher) than their 3Tw. I don't think there's anything to be gained from failing to try it in competition for as long as possible... they got it out there and that's a good thing. And honestly this is exactly the kind of event where you would want to try to get it out there- low stakes, guaranteed medal anyway, and so on.

I agree their programs need improvement generally, and they need to skate with more energy and emotion.

LRK

Record Breaker
Why expect a new element to be perfection right out of the gate? I suppose there may be skaters who achieve that - but I suspect that is rather the exception than the norm.

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
I just watched the top 3 teams.

I am a fan of T/M but I recognise that they need to improve on the presentation side. On the Tech side they are very competent , they had a good attempt at the 4Tw and apart from his fall on the 3T everything was done well. I like the choice of music but I felt the placement of some of the elements did not match with the speed of the music more so towards the end of the programme. They got a decent score but they can do better.

I am a huge fan of K/S, it's great to have them back competing after her injury problems. I love this Clair de Lune programme and apart from her nasty fall on the 3T and a shaky 3ThLo it was a good debut. I expected a better score, I thought they were marked harshly on PCS. Being realistic I think they are now at best Russian No. 3. Rounding of the Russian podium sweep were Z/E. They have some strong technical elements but I didn't think the music suited them or that they skated to it, maybe it needs a bit more mileage.

On a final note the quality of the broadcast was very disappointing. It something the organisers/ISU need to look at.