2016 Finlandia Trophy Short Dance | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2016 Finlandia Trophy Short Dance

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker
A little from Column A, a little from Column B. I would have really liked it if they had built the program around Bills- maybe chosen a blues song about being poor instead of At Last to have a unified theme.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
H/D are in major trouble with that SD.

Well that happened.

Really the only dance that left any real impression on me was Smart and Diaz's.

HR4

On the Ice
First time ever i really enjoyed SB. It used to be my anti-favorite Russian team, but ths SD is refreshing. I hope FD will not dissapoint.

Sorrento

Record Breaker
I really realy loved Stepanova/Bukin SD, out of all routines theirs looks harmonious and genuine. Way to go guys! So happy they are in the lead after the SD.:hap93:

Marta25

Medalist
Hopefully H/D take note and will change something about their Short Dance. They had a 13 points margin over S/B at Worlds 2016.

Dots

Final Flight
Why approve hip-hop if the judges are still preferring more conservative dances to alternative ones?

tzazu

Medalist
Hope that Smart/Diaz improve more for their next GP appointment, they've been the couple I enjoyed more today:cool2:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Why approve hip-hop if the judges are still preferring more conservative dances to alternative ones?

Because the ISU, dance in particular, is full of organic fecal material. They want to proclaim, for PR purposes, that they're "modernizing" and "up to the moment" and "cool" while rewarding those dances that most closely resemble a road production of Grease.

Different year, same story from the world of ID.

Pamigena

Record Breaker
Love them but so much second hand embarrassment I experience watching Madison and Zach's program. :palmf:
If you list all the song snippets, it will be longer than the entry list for the whole event :roll9: kind of weird (although the general "how the hell do we clap along with this?" confusion around us was quite funny)

moon

On the Ice
It looks like Russia is in a bit of a panic not knowing what is going on with I/Z and S/K. Who will be our number two team? Their promoting of Z/G is a little bit too hard to swallow. Jonathon is just not great with his blades. Sloppy feet and hips. However, they do make a striking couple and move to the music nicely.

Sorrento

Record Breaker
I seriously can't stand hip hop routines this season, most are slow and dull. And girls look tacky too, those costumes- OMG.:disapp:

Dots

Final Flight
It's nothing about conservative instead of alternative. There was an almost 4-point difference between S/B and H/D on the technical side - and it certainly was the tech that pushed H/D up the ranks last year. That has nothing to do with judges not liking hip-hop. Just take a look at K/S, with a good score this early on the year for a program with mistakes. Maybe they did the hip-hop right? Idk.

It certainly is, some of these judges are clearly not ready to judge hip-hop. The judging panels need to be reminded that they must judge from a neutral point of view.

Plisskin

Medalist
I just can't work up any enthusiasm for that program at all. It's just so meh.
I will be skipping over their SP this season, and will pretend they are still using their glorious Hallelujah program while watching their new LP. :slink:

bramweld

Record Breaker
What just happened? I mean, what just happened? That was a dance? I think I should just stop watching ice dance competitions.

EDIT: Let me clarify. Is the dance by S/B what the judges want to see for blues and hip hop? I must admit they had improved attack and personality but other more coherent dances were simply tossed, for example FB/S and S/D.

Maybe Zhulin is right about the SD only three things required; speed, attack and correct levels. Lets bring on the FD.

OTOH, Russian nationals is going to be a corker this season. I just have this feeling that the top spot is going to be between S/B and I/Z. S/K's short dance pales in comparison to the content in S/Bs dance. B/S looked tight in Nepala.

Last edited:

Sorrento

Record Breaker
It looks like Russia is in a bit of a panic not knowing what is going on with I/Z and S/K. Who will be our number two team? Their promoting of Z/G is a little bit too hard to swallow. Jonathon is just not great with his blades. Sloppy feet and hips. However, they do make a striking couple and move to the music nicely.
I haven't seen much of promotion done for Tiffany and Jonathan to be honest. And only the competitions will place every couple according to their effort and success. Lets wait for GP series to find out. Russia has a solid home leader- Bobrova/ Soloviov. Sure they cannot beat French and mighty VM but they are solid, there's nothing more you can ask for at the moment.

Plisskin

Medalist
Not to be mean, but the "hip hop" most of these ice dancers are doing is tragic. I can't really get up and arms for their pcs being marked lower, with all of the music cuts and awkward choreography. Sorry...

Last edited:

Sorrento

Record Breaker
You shouldn't be. I feel exactly the same.
Not to be mean, but the "hip hop" most of these ice dancers are doing is tragic imo. I can't really get up and arms for their pcs being marked so low, with all of the music cuts and awkward choreography. Sorry...

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I haven't seen much of promotion done for Tiffany and Jonathan to be honest. And only the competitions will place every couple according to their effort and success. Lets wait for GP series to find out. Russia has a solid home leader- Bobrova/ Soloviov. Sure they cannot beat French and mighty VM but they are solid, there's nothing more you can ask for at the moment.

Well, if anything. S/B seem to be gunning for the top, too. But it's still too early in the season - S/B are the less technically tight team, if you don't count I/Z last year...