2016 Finlandia Trophy Short Dance | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2016 Finlandia Trophy Short Dance

Sorrento

Record Breaker
You didn't do what?:scratch2:
I don't know because I didn't do it but can you think of any other reason?
Should I think of any other reason? Like which one? I can't see what was wrong with their costumes. Vanya's jacket? I wish I knew.:think:

bramweld

Record Breaker
What is wrong with Bobrova from your point of view?

I don't know if you noticed it this season but her bad posture has returned in places this season. In both the SD and FD. Maybe its because of her knee issues.

sneakers

Match Penalty
I'll go on a limb and say it:

S/B have a chance to be russian No.1,
No3. will be between I/Z, S/K and Z/G

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
I don't know if you noticed it this season but her bad posture has returned in places this season. In both the SD and FD. Maybe its because of her knee issues.

Really? It's no near as bad as it used to be. And apparently you're the only one who knows something about her knee issues. Glad that you informed that well.

bramweld

Record Breaker
I don't find them fast, :noshake: Almost 40 seconds unending side by side steps...:slink: This season going to be long for me. I also don't like blues pattern. Lucky for me S/B only uses blues on blues pattern. It is good idea to grab attention with lift+twizzles and than we can sleep on blues pattern and just come back for step sequence. Less time and less element in blues better.:laugh:

We can see her posture in free dance. I don't want to watch another Bobrova please.:noshake:

Fast might not be the right word. But they seemed energetic and nimble, like they were enjoying themselves out there. They're not the fastest or most polished....but Maddie and Zach, IMHO looked noticeably tight or uncomfortable with their SD. It might be too late for them though to change it. When is their first GP assignment?

bramweld

Record Breaker
Really? It's no near as bad as it used to be. And apparently you're the only one who knows something about her knee issues. Glad that you informed that well.

Haven't you seen the knee support she's been wearing for the past how many competitions? It was there at Nepala as well. This however is only a guess on my part. If her knees are not at 100% she's been using her upper body more for more speed.

EDIT: Yes, it may not be as pronounced as her Kustarova days but its visible in comparison to last season.

Last edited:

Sorrento

Record Breaker
Haven't you seen the knee support she's been wearing for the past how many competitions? It was there at Nepala as well. This however is only a guess on my part. If her knees are not at 100% she's been using her upper body more for more speed.

EDIT: Yes, it may not be as pronounced as her Kustarova days but its visible in comparison to last season.
That was NepEla, not NepAla, makes me think of how come Nepal is hosting a figure skating event I don't know about.:confused: Well, I don't see any posture issues either with Bobrova or Stepanova. Good luck to both beautiful ladies!:cheer: Hope knee issue (if any) is sorted asap.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil

We haven't seen I/Z or S/K competing this season, and S/B only shown their SD as of now. I would say it's quite early for any kind of prediction. They do seem poised, though, and that's better than their uninspired programs from last year.

Snow63

Record Breaker

Yes it is. And she stated clearly herself that if her knees were not 100% they wouldn't have competed. So please, stop speculating about that. Thank you.

I finally watched Stepanova/Bukin's SD... well, it's not good. I liked their blues+swing combination in Juniors, but I don't get where their blues gone now? I don't see them challenging Bobrova/Soloviev any time soon, honestly.
And her posture is not the biggest problem for me personally. I don't get why is it so hard to make her BEND HER KNEES!!! I mean, they're worlds level skaters, medalists of Euros and members of National team and she can't remember to do that properly? It looks like she tries really hard, but then at certain moments she forgets about it and skates on straight legs like some kind of tin soldier... That REALLY bothers me. Other than that I would say her SS are better than last season.

Last edited:

Marta25

Medalist

I think it`s way too early to predict that. The increase of the base value in the SD makes it really hard to understand where the teams really stand. IMO, it`s big that S/B managed to beat H/D in the SD, a team that was beating them with a 13 point margin at Worlds, but as it was already mentioned we haven`t seen yet S/K and I/Z in a competition.

sneakers

Match Penalty
I think it`s way too early to predict that. The increase of the base value in the SD makes it really hard to understand where the teams really stand. IMO, it`s big that S/B managed to beat H/D in the SD, a team that was beating them with a 13 point margin at Worlds, but as it was already mentioned we haven`t seen yet S/K and I/Z in a competition.

lets not compare Ondrej Nepala, Nebelhorn scores....
but I always weight Finlandia, it is the most "realistic" scoring for the Grand Prix series.....
Finlandia never gets the inflated scores compared to other challenger series cough*Mordovian

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Zomg SB were wonderful (considering all the rumours about reworking the progs & absence @test skates) I started to get really worried Hopefully they won't disappoint in the F D So refreshing not to hold breath & be afraid of mistakes ))) I Do wish she changes outfit to something more colourful but the design of the outfit I ref approve The audience was so good! Supported skaters

HD I liked generally but can't help but compare with last years masterpiece

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I honestly am surprised the Americans are not first. I mean they don't deserve to be first but S/B really had been stagnant and had injury issues. it will be interesting to see Russian nationals and more important worlds - can they regain three teams/spots and will one of them make their move to the podium. So far they have struggled with injuries and no team really taking command - both i/z and s/k make far too many errors. b/s far too injured and bad luck. its a crap shoot but i hope we will see at least one team really distinguish themselves otherwise it is the French team essentially crowned oly champs and everyone else left fighting for scraps or maybe bronze with V and M appearing to be asserting themselves for silver (not sure if the judges will lift them over the beloved French.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I am wondering if the quick turnaround between Autumn Classic and Finlandia was tough for the Danes and the Spanish. Their PCS improved slightly, though.

Stepanova/Bukin were enjoyable to watch. Not the same feel as that blues and swing SD from 2012-2013, but still fun to see. I am curious about the prop/costume citation as well.

I said it when I first heard parts of the music but Hubbell/Donohue are not doing themselves any favours with this SD. It's highly likely they will walk away with at least the bronze at Skate America, but right now it does not look like they are keeping pace with the other top teams in the SD. They've gotten lower marks than S/B, Chock/Bates, Cappellini/Lanotte, Gilles/Poirier, Virtue/Moir, and Bobrova/Soloviev. Do they want to keep fighting in the FD for a top spot? I am not sure how USFSA was ok with this program.

Snow63

Record Breaker
Hubbel/Donohue looked heavy and unpolished, sorry. Second half of the dance, especially before the steps, has way too many transitional elements and they slow them down and don't let them speed themself. Not touching step sequence looks (IMO) badly choreographed. Firstly, it's pretty simple and I would even say basic choreography, and second, this spread eagle crossings take a lot of ice and because of that almost all of the difficult steps and turns are focused on the second half of the straigh line. That's why first half looks empty and the second half looks too busy.
And honestly, 15 seconds of Chock/Bates' hip-hop part have more hip-hop movements in there than the whole SD of Hubbel/Donohue. In fact, if we will change the music we will not probably understand that it's hip-hop. Next to zero hip-hop feeling in that dance.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Hubbel/Donohue looked heavy and unpolished, sorry. Second half of the dance, especially before the steps, has way too many transitional elements and they slow them down and don't let them speed themself. Not touching step sequence looks (IMO) badly choreographed. Firstly, it's pretty simple and I would even say basic choreography, and second, this spread eagle crossings take a lot of ice and because of that almost all of the difficult steps and turns are focused on the second half of the straigh line. That's why first half looks empty and the second half looks too busy.
And honestly, 15 seconds of Chock/Bates' hip-hop part have more hip-hop movements in there than the whole SD of Hubbel/Donohue. In fact, if we will change the music we will not probably understand that it's hip-hop. Next to zero hip-hop feeling in that dance.

My gut tells me they're going to change this SD or at the very least completely change the hip hop portion. Well, for their sakes I hope they do.