2016 Finlandia Trophy Pairs SP | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2016 Finlandia Trophy Pairs SP

LRK

Record Breaker
I don't know...basic skating skills shouldn't change that much, or do they? The judges seem to agree with my current impression anyway.

But never mind, I'll keep my thoughts to myself in the future ;)

No, you won't.;)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Lastly, I loved seeing Patrick in the audience and I swear that was Nathan sitting next to him. Is that right? Anyway, if it was I think it shows just how cool Patrick is because, IMO, Nathan is only skater in the field that can challenge him technically. Artistically, he doesn't really have competition at this event.

It's all in the family. They share the same Chinese surname. Patrick is well liked by skaters and he evidently likes a little bro. :)

Here they are with Coach Z.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
It's all in the family. They share the same Chinese surname. Patrick well liked by skaters and he evidently likes a little bro. :)

Are you joking??

What is the Chinese character for the surname? Are you sure that they both have the same one?

Without answers to these questions, I am skeptical that Patrick and Nathan share the same surname.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Are you joking??

What is the Chinese character for the surname?

Without knowing the answer (which I do not have), I am skeptical that they have the same surname.

I think she might be joking because Chen and Chan are too completely different names. ;)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I think she might be joking because Chen and Chan are too completely different names. ;)

Yes re the difference btwn Chen/Chan :agree:, but it is possible for those who do have the same Chinese surname to transliterate it differently: Wang/Wong, for example.

If it was intended a joke, it is a pretty lame joke, IMO.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Yes re the difference btwn Chen/Chan :agree:, but it is possible for those who do have the same Chinese surname to transliterate it differently: Wang/Wong, for example.

If it was intended a joke, it is a pretty lame joke, IMO.

No, it's not a joke. Chen/Chan (陳) is one of the most common Chinese surnames, like Smith or Jones. See more info here.

In fact, Patrick's Chinese name in Mandarin is Chen Weiqun.

The reason why his name is spelled "Chan" is because his family originated from Hong Kong, where they speak Cantonese. It transliterates into English a bit differently.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
No, it's not a joke. Chen/Chan (陳) is one of the most common Chinese surnames, like Smith or Jones. See more info here.

In fact, Patrick's Chinese name in Mandarin is Chen Weiqun.

The reason why his name is spelled "Chan" is because his family originated from Hong Kong, where they speak Cantonese. It transliterates into English a bit differently.

How do you know that this particular character is the surname of both Patrick and Nathan??

There are other characters that can be transliterated as Chan or Chen, aren't there?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Patrick Chan 陈伟群

Nathan Chen 陈巍

陈 is a very common Chinese surname. It's translated in various ways according to the dialects. Chan from Cantonese/Hongkong, Chen from China/Taiwan, Tan from Fujian/Singapore/Malaysia, Tran from Indochina. Patrick, Nathan, Lu, Karen and Mervin all share the same Chinese family name.

Similarly, Yuna, Boyang, Yang, and Gracie all have the family name meaning gold. 金 is pronounced "jin" in official Chinese, "kam" in Cantonese, "kim" in Korean, Vietnamese, and various Chinese dialects, "kin" in Japanese, and "gold" in English. :biggrin:

Last edited:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
How do you know that this particular character is the surname of both Patrick and Nathan??

There are other characters that can be transliterated as Chan or Chen, aren't there?

Patrick's Chinese name is 陳偉群 (traditional) / 陈伟群 (simplified). According to this internet biography about Nathan, his Chinese name is 陳巍 (traditional) / 陈巍 (simplified). So they both have the same surname.

Are there other surnames that can be transliterated as Chan or Chen? Not really, unless it's a very rare one. See here for the list of most common Chinese surnames - Chen/Chan is 5th most common. No other similar-sounding surnames are in the top 100.

Now, back to the 2016 Finlandia Trophy Pairs SP discussion!

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thanks for the replies :).

Reserving judgment. (And I do have Chinese blood myself, FWIW.)

Will not dwell on this question further in this thread.

QuadThrow

Medalist
D/R's performance really shocked me today.

I like the style and the costume. It is not a masterpiece but it is kind of minimalistic. The twist looks better and better.

But I never expected them to skate so badly. They missed the lutz they skated so slowly.

And the Axel throw was not good at all. The set up interrups the program in the middle and the landing did not look like she was fighting for that throw1.

They should skip the Axel. This would take a lot of pressure away. But it will be almost impossible to beat a clean S/M without the Axel and with this program.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

I like the style and the costume. It is not a masterpiece but it is kind of minimalistic. The twist looks better and better.

But I never expected them to skate so badly. They missed the lutz they skated so slowly.

And the Axel throw was not good at all. The set up interrups the program in the middle and the landing did not look like she was fighting for that throw1.

They should skip the Axel. This would take a lot of pressure away. But it will be almost impossible to beat a clean S/M without the Axel and with this program.

If skaters give up a new element after a difficult debut, there wouldn't be modern figure skating as it is, challenging to be an extreme sport. :)

TGee

Record Breaker

Hi Quadthrow,

I was hoping for you to see a representative skate from D/R too. Agreed it was unusually slow, and the issues started from the top.

On the video, it looked like Eric was checking to match Meagan going into the SBS 3lz. They usually really attack those. And he seemed to be assessing the situation going into the th3A. Their policy has been to always try the new throws through the first part of the season in order to consistently land them by nationals. Given that they were off for the SP overall, I would be surprised as they take this as signal to take the th3A out.

But overall, it makes me wonder if she is under the weather, but decided to skate nonetheless. We saw something similar when she had the flu at 4CC last spring. I can can see from the KnC that they weren't satisfied with the skate. But were thoughtful about it rather than chatty. Perhaps we'll hear something tomorrow as we did during 4CC. See story from then...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/w...amel-radford-four-continents-taiwan-1.3456687

But really regret that they weren't able to put best forward today. We'll see what tomorrow will bring. And I hope you will be able to make it to see them at Worlds 2017.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Having watched Megan & Eric's debut in Quebec and now this I can say that it looks like the nerves got to them in Finland. They appeared to be thinking about landing that throw 3A a bit too much, thus both messing up the 3Lz. After that mistake, they didn't fully recover. Thus the missed throw 3A, the slow step sequence, the lack of energy. I am hopeful that the FS goes well, as there is no throw 3A to worry about.

I am also not sure if they will take out that throw 3A from the SP yet. I think they'll go back to Saint-Léonard and evaluate it. If all their SP practices go well, they may keep it in. I get the feeling that today was really just a day where their nerves overcame them and the resulting mistakes made them lose concentration. If the issues continue as the season goes on, then I think we may be seeing a bit of a repeat of last year (with the throw 4Lz and throw 3Lz causing them issues last season). I will wait until the FS is over though to start thinking about that.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Having watched Megan & Eric's debut in Quebec and now this I can say that it looks like the nerves got to them in Finland. They appeared to be thinking about landing that throw 3A a bit too much, thus both messing up the 3Lz. After that mistake, they didn't fully recover. Thus the missed throw 3A, the slow step sequence, the lack of energy. I am hopeful that the FS goes well, as there is no throw 3A to worry about.

I agree. They were MUCH better in Quebec! Good thing for them that it was a pretty badly skated short program here, or else they might not be leading.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Did Megan catch a cold or something? She and Eric were incredibly slow yesterday that I'd never felt such from them. I still can't love the music and lyrics because it is too unsophisticated to convey the message like "The way we wanna be yeah" throughout the program. I agree with someone's opinion elsewhere that the program has too many side-by-side choreographic movements. While I appreciate their new attempt and love their costumes, I sense a vibe of Savchenko/Szolkowy instead. I'm disappointed in Julie Marcotte's choreography for them this season.

Last edited:

Art&Sport

Medalist
Nice to finally see a team go clean!! I actually like this style for V/B, very different than last year but interesting.

V/B were cleaner than most, but Blommaert did double his sbs triple jump. This was a good opportunity for Kayne/O'Shea but they didn't appear ready to grab it with a solid skate. I am surprised by Duhamel/Radford stumbles, but they were so great at their earlier event, I suppose it's better to have the letdown now rather than during the GP.

For Cain/LeDuc only being together for 5 months, they are very competitive, with good unison, excellent lines and appealing style. They have strong jumping abilities, but they need to develop consistency and confidence in their rhythm and timing (plus get a split 3-twist). Katia/Harley of Australia are only together for 8 months and are very well matched and competitive for such a young team. As a young team Katia/Harley still have room to grow and to refine all aspects of their skating.

Ashtakova/Rogonov are a nice team to watch, but they too let mistakes creep in. I suppose at this early season event, skaters aren't necessarily expected to be sharp, and yet cutting out the mistakes is crucial for all.

Last edited:

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
so as Alex promised me on Insta they didnt skate POTO:laugh:
the prog felt pretty raw & Kristya seemed not to control her arms much
I do like their more theatrical programms in general but now the elements is what they should be focusing on more
invalidated element is i cant understand

too bad they werent impressive live:( but I do hope its earlier in the season b/c thth situation in the team shows they need to win over Z/E & they do need to be cleaner

the Aussies are a joy to watch as on JGP! bright bright future for them/

D/R are the same old parallel skating but oh well Im team Max T more than ever:biggrin:they have the elements & will be winning later in the season

was looking forward to Keyne/Oshea/ Lovely programs this year I like both Too bad about the mistakes There's LP so Ill be hoping for the best