2016 Finlandia Trophy Ladies FS | Page 27 | Golden Skate

2016 Finlandia Trophy Ladies FS

tulosai

Record Breaker
What I really meant here is that psychologically Anna's coach seems to be from a different world. You know, Anna is only 18 years old, but she has always been so so hard on herself in competitions. Technique is very important at the icerink, but any decent use of wisdom also plays a key role in your final results. To win the competitions or make the national team pushing yourself too hard can only be counter-productive most of the time, and besides, a sad and discontented look always on the face of a teenage girl in the K & C area just bores me to death! :laugh:

You know what really bugs me about the discussion of Tsareva generally is that if she acted exactly how she acts now, but instead of being a relatively young, very attractive woman, she was an old man like most of the coaches, no one would say anything. And I know this because many of the older male coaches pretty much act exactly as she does- quite stoic in the K&C, don't touch their skaters, actually speak to their skaters less than Tsareva seems to speak to Anna in K&C, don't smile unless something truly amazing has happened and sometimes not even then- and no one ever comments about that. I actually think this is the largest example of unconscious sexism on this board by far. Compare her demeanor with Mishin's- it's really very similar but because he's an old man and a legend in the sport everyone just fawns over him (myself included, I love Mishin so much I made a fan fest for him, so this is no dig at him but just about how people talk about coaches demeanor). I mean for goodness sakes, just look at Mishin in the K&C after her 2015 WC short where Elizaveta landed a 3A- his expression is largely stone cold, he sits far from Elizaveta, doesn't talk to her, and shakes her hand when the score comes out https://youtu.be/BEyZ9rFYiFc?t=5m16s. If Tsareva acts the exact some way though she's somehow psychologically 'from a different world'? Give me a break.

Last edited:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
You know what really bugs me about the discussion of Tsareva generally is that if she acted exactly how she acts now, but instead of being a relatively young, very attractive woman, she was an old man like most of the coaches, no one would say anything. And I know this because many of the older male coaches pretty much act exactly as she does- quite stoic in the K&C, don't touch their skaters, actually speak to their skaters less than Tsareva seems to speak to Anna in K&C, don't smile unless something truly amazing has happened and sometimes not even then- and no one ever comments about that. I actually think this is the largest example of unconscious sexism on this board by far. Compare her demeanor with Mishin's- it's really very similar but because he's an old man and a legend in the sport everyone just fawns over him (myself included, I love Mishin so much I made a fan fest for him, so this is no dig at him but just about how people talk about coaches demeanor). I mean for goodness sakes, just look at Mishin in the K&C after her 2015 WC short where Elizaveta landed a 3A- his expression is largely stone cold, he sits far from Elizaveta, doesn't talk to her, and shakes her hand when the score comes out https://youtu.be/BEyZ9rFYiFc?t=5m16s. If Tsareva acts the exact some way though she's somehow psychologically 'from a different world'? Give me a break.

I've always thought that K&C at Shanghai was sort of a joke and maybe they were a little pissed off because they hoped for the WR.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker

Agreed 100%. Can you imagine anyone ever describing Mishin having "resting b-face"? Or Karel Fafjr, or Rukavitsin? The armchair psychologists here think they know all the details of her relationship with Anna, too, never mind that Anna says they get along very well now.

Alex D

Record Breaker
Anna's coach has had a negative influence on her mindset & career development. Winning or losing the games is very common for a sportsman, so why always put on such sad look? She is growing as a skater, but sadly not as a person.

The look of a person, can cloud their true character. If people see me without knowing me, they might think I am rude or cold, I have a very Russian like facial expression if that makes any sense, but I am just shy and also want to be respectful towards the other person ;) Anna isn´t sad I think, she is just what she is and not everyone has the Gracie or Kaety smile and even that might not always indicate happyness.

Nobody knows what´s inside another person, that´s why we should try and stay away from prejustice. At times at the ice rink, a skater can look at you like "oh no, not you again, get lost", but backstages they greet you and want to know about your stuff and you joke around.

Always remember, these girls and boys are looked at from each corner of the ice, everyone will stare at them, that must be kind of awkward and a feeling we all should know too to some degree at least, from entering a bus, school or stage - because that´s when people always look at the new one.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Anna's coach has had a negative influence on her mindset & career development. Winning or losing the games is very common for a sportsman, so why always put on such sad look? She is growing as a skater, but sadly not as a person.
Gezz if you meet me you will hardly see I smile at you but I am not a cold person. Please stop judging people from just that.

ordinary person

On the Ice
After surviving trying to avoid to look at the countless bums, bare legs and bare backs etc, i have to say Mao was way better than the rest. What a shame.

snd

On the Ice
What I really meant here is that psychologically Anna's coach seems to be from a different world. You know, Anna is only 18 years old, but she has always been so so hard on herself in competitions. Technique is very important at the icerink, but any decent use of wisdom also plays a key role in your final results. To win the competitions or make the national team pushing yourself too hard can only be counter-productive most of the time :laugh:

mind your cultural differences. one preson's 'pushing yourself too hard' is another one's 'basic determination to get anywhere at all'. people handle pressure differently.

and besides, a sad and discontented look always on the face of a teenage girl in the K & C area just bores me to death!

then maybe you should be bored to death. this is none of the girl's concern. do you honestly think you are entitled to this girl - a presumable stranger to you - entertaining you in k&c after her competiton? unless either her or her coach are behaving in a rude, disgraceful manner, strangers are not to tell these ladies how to look, when to smile and what to wear.

Rissa

Record Breaker

I was a loud advocate of Anna's changing coaches after the 2014/15 season because Tsareva giving Anna cold shoulder after Anna's failures was painful to see.

But that bolded part? That's bullsh**. In the 4 season of the senior career, Anna has made it to the Worlds team three years in row in the most competitve, talented, toughest field in the world. She's made it to GPF twice. Anna has won a Worlds bronze medal in a highest-quality competition in years, against extremely tough oponents who brought their A-game. So whatever Tsareva was doing, her influence on Anna's career clearly wasn't so negative.

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
The look of a person, can cloud their true character. If people see me without knowing me, they might think I am rude or cold, I have a very Russian like facial expression if that makes any sense, but I am just shy and also want to be respectful towards the other person ;) Anna isn´t sad I think, she is just what she is and not everyone has the Gracie or Kaety smile and even that might not always indicate happyness.

Nobody knows what´s inside another person, that´s why we should try and stay away from prejustice. At times at the ice rink, a skater can look at you like "oh no, not you again, get lost", but backstages they greet you and want to know about your stuff and you joke around.

Always remember, these girls and boys are looked at from each corner of the ice, everyone will stare at them, that must be kind of awkward and a feeling we all should know too to some degree at least, from entering a bus, school or stage - because that´s when people always look at the new one.

Don't carry this topic too far. I am a very honest person, so that I always talk the way I feel, but my intentions are always good, which should not be magnified infinitely. I love Russia and its culture, but that does not mean I cannot look at the people there with a critical eye.

Biellmann

Match Penalty
mind your cultural differences. one preson's 'pushing yourself too hard' is another one's 'basic determination to get anywhere at all'. people handle pressure differently.

then maybe you should be bored to death. this is none of the girl's concern. do you honestly think you are entitled to this girl - a presumable stranger to you - entertaining you in k&c after her competiton? unless either her or her coach are behaving in a rude, disgraceful manner, strangers are not to tell these ladies how to look, when to smile and what to wear.

I said it long time ago and saying it again, many people think the athletes are there for THEM (the spectators) :laugh:

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
What I really meant here is that psychologically Anna's coach seems to be from a different world. You know, Anna is only 18 years old, but she has always been so so hard on herself in competitions. Technique is very important at the icerink, but any decent use of wisdom also plays a key role in your final results. To win the competitions or make the national team pushing yourself too hard can only be counter-productive most of the time, and besides, a sad and discontented look always on the face of a teenage girl in the K & C area just bores me to death! :laugh:

Gezz if you meet me you will hardly see I smile at you but I am not a cold person. Please stop judging people from just that.

Don't carry this topic too far. I am a very honest person, so that I always talk the way I feel, but my intentions are always good, which should not be magnified infinitely. I love Russia and its culture, but that does not mean I cannot look at the people there with a critical eye.

Well. I heard from some of my Californian Russian friends: a smile or a laughter with no reason is usually a sign of mental illness. ;)

Alex D

Record Breaker
Sad to see that Lindfors hasn't managed to improve at all in a year. Regressed if anything.

I guess Finland won't have a decent female skater for a while. A shame. Wonder why that is the case after having at least 3 skaters who were at a high level on the European level, even relatively recently.

Will they have a skater who wins a worlds medal? Most likely not, but they still have good skaters. Emmi is very good, but still very young and she needs to stay injury free. At Nebelhorn she had to pull out, so maybe this still influenced her at home.

What happened to Sima in SP, that 14th place is a typo?

@ Doris, thanks for all your hard work.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Agreed but getting Wagner and Gold and Nagasu OR Polina to skate cleanly is like asking Mrrice to divorce Maria B lol, it ain't happening or is very hard to come by. It was underwhelming but so has been all the challenger events and Japan Open save perhaps Satoko even then her jumps are still smallish. Some years it is the best of the good or mediocre and it is still very early in the season.

Yep, like I said, "Not very exciting at all." :) BTW, who are Mrrice and Maria B? LOL