2016 Finlandia Trophy Mens FS | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2016 Finlandia Trophy Mens FS

mcq

Record Breaker
thanks! i didn't follow him much in juniors so all i know is the good stuff ;)

No problem! He is always unpredictable. He was 1st last year during US Classic, beating Shoma Uno (granted Shoma's SP was a disaster) and then later he bombed during JGPF. He was 9th at SP for junior world but then had a wonderful FS and landed 3 quads to win the title. When he is on he is great but well when he is off he could place anywhere. I didn't follow junior much too last year aside of JGPF and Junior worlds but Daniel competed at both junior and senior last year, so I know a bit about him from there.

Last edited:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
But Samohin was never a consistent skater to begin with. His skate is either great or a disaster, sometimes there is no in between. I remember he fell 4 times on his FS at 2015 junior grand prix too.

I believe he fell 5 times during the FS at the JGPF. (No, I have no intention of ever watching it again; but five is the number of falls I remembered him having and the protocol appears to confirm it).

mcq

Record Breaker
I believe he fell 5 times during the FS at the JGPF. (No, I have no intention of ever watching it again; but five is the number of falls I remembered him having and the protocol appears to confirm it).

Ah, right. He fell on step sequence too. I was only remembering the fall on jumps and I forgot about the stsq. But yes, either way, it is quite painful to watch. :hopelessness:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
you have no idea how many times i saw him fall or step out at the warm up at ACI... i was like.. OMG... please stop... please someone stop him... please do a spin or something.. but stop jumping... :( i was really upset. i mean, i fall on the floor at no speed because i am clumsy and i am in pain.. how can he fall on the ice at super high speed and keep going?
Ah, right. He fell on step sequence too. I was only remembering the fall on jumps and I forgot about the stsq. But yes, either way, it is quite painful to watch. :hopelessness:

mcq

Record Breaker
you have no idea how many times i saw him fall or step out at the warm up at ACI... i was like.. OMG... please stop... please someone stop him... please do a spin or something.. but stop jumping... :( i was really upset. i mean, i fall on the floor at no speed because i am clumsy and i am in pain.. how can he fall on the ice at super high speed and keep going?

That's unfortunate. :(
I heard he was supposed to compete at another competition before skate canada. I hope his team cancels it, he needs to recharge and readjust himself before the GP starts. When clean, he actually has good chance to be on the podium. His planned layout is 2+3 quad. Honestly I was confused at first to why his team would sign him up for back-to-back CS competition (ACI and Finlandia) thousand of miles apart. He has 2 GPs so there is no need to go to a lot of CS in my opinion. :palmf:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
That's unfortunate. :(
I heard he was supposed to compete at another competition before skate canada. I hope his team cancels it, he needs to recharge and readjust himself before the GP starts. When clean, he actually has good chance to be on the podium. His planned layout is 2+3 quad. Honestly I was confused at first to why his team would sign him up for back-to-back CS competition (ACI and Finlandia) thousand of miles apart. He has 2 GPs so there is no need to go to a lot of CS in my opinion. :palmf:

i have no idea if he is pushy or if it's the coaching team who is pushy... but i saw lots of potential in this kid. he can be part of the big guns after 2018... but he could also be damaged by then you know?

the issue is the following : right now, the pain may be physical with all those falls, but sooner than later, he could get into psychological pain... doubt, fear, etc... when you make a mess so often, do you really believe you can be competitive? this could be a headcase in creation.... sigh :(

mcq

Record Breaker
i have no idea if he is pushy or if it's the coaching team who is pushy... but i saw lots of potential in this kid. he can be part of the big guns after 2018... but he could also be damaged by then you know?

the issue is the following : right now, the pain may be physical with all those falls, but sooner than later, he could get into psychological pain... doubt, fear, etc... when you make a mess so often, do you really believe you can be competitive? this could be a headcase in creation.... sigh :(

I hope not :( I will be looking forward to see how he will do at Skate Canada. Finlandia+AC look like a prelude/preview for SC for me with Patrick, Daniel and Petrov at FT and Yuzu, Misha at AC, it will be very interesting. Daniel was rough at JGPF but he get it together during junior world, so I think he should not be rattled by his poor performances in the early season (actually rarely many skaters do well early season). I hope the poor performance motivate him and fire him up instead of bringing him doubts about himself. :) That is why I think it is important he skip competition post-Finlandia + pre-SC so he could be fully prepared for SC, mentally and physically. And I agree with you, consecutive poor performances might affect someone's mentality, thus I hope it won't affect him so much.