Skate America Fun Questionnaire | Golden Skate

Skate America Fun Questionnaire

Layback11

Record Breaker
Remember these? :biggrin: They're back in time get us hyped up for the Grand Prix season! Have fun answering and discussing these queries. :biggrin: My answers are in green.

1. Realistic winner predictions? Boyang Jin, Ashley Wagner, Shibutani/Shibutani, Tarasova/Morozov
2. Wishful thinking winner predictions? Shoma Uno, Gracie Gold, Shibutani/Shibutani, Seguin/Bilodeau
3. Who do you look forward to seeing most in this competition? Ladies is pretty great :agree: with three of my favorites, Gracie Gold, Mao Asada, and Yulia Lipnitskaya, as well as a sentimental favorite, Mariah Bell. But that's just a highlight reel-there's really nobody in the ladies field I'm not excited about! Definitely Shoma Uno in men, and maybe also Jason and Boyang (I like 4Lz :biggrin:). In dance, everyone's favorite siblings, and also Ruslena and Tobias/Tkachenko. For pairs, Seguin/Bilodeau, Kayne/O'Shea, and Denney/Frazier.
4. If you had to pick one skater who you think is most likely to have the skate of their life at SA, who would you pick? I haven't the slightest idea, so I'll go with Gabby Daleman.
5. Of the programs you've seen so far, who on the SA roster has the programs you most look forward to seeing? Hands down, Mariah Bell. Also excited for: Mao, So-Youn, S/B, D/F, Shoma's SP, Gracie's FS, and Yulia's SP.
6. Who do you think could surprise with a higher-than-expected placement here? Mai Mihara and Gabby Daleman could both place well if they hit. I kind of think Timothy Dolensky could do suprisingly well, and perhaps we might need to pull out the Brendan Slay Count again? :p
7. Suppose you have a Skate America Genie who is going to grant you three wishes pertaining to this event. What do you wish for? Pfft, no-brainer!
1. A clean Gracie!
2. No sad meltdowns
3. All of the podiums I want: Gracie/Mao/Yulia (#Graolia #WhyDidIJustTypeThat); Shibs, Ruslena, H/D; S/B, D/F, K/O; and Shoma/Boyang/Jason. :cool:
I just got five wishes for the price of three. I must be excellent at exploiting genies. :biggrin:

Remember, y'alls, keep it civilized. But other than that...have fun, get hyped, and make ridiculous predictions that might somehow come true! :biggrin:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
1. (M,L,P,D order) Boyang Jin, Ashley Wagner, Tarasova/Morozov, ShibSibs.
2. (Same order as before) Jason Brown, Ashley Wagner, Seguin/Bilodeau, ShibSibs
3. I won't be going this year unfortunately. Too many tests coming up the coming week. But In terms of who I'm excited to be there competition-wise, men's: all of them really. Especially Jason Brown, Maxim Kovtun, Brendan Kerry, and Timothy Dolensky. Ladies: Gracie, Ashley, Mao, Gabby Daleman, Mariah Bell, and Julia Lipnitskaya. Pairs: Kayne/O'Shea, Denny/Fraizer, Castelli/Tran, Seguin/Bilodeau, and Tarasova/Morozov. Dance: Shib Sibs, Hubbell/Donohue, Tobias/Tkachenko, and Pogrebinsky/Benoit.
4. Ashley Wagner.
5. Brendan Kerry and Hubbell/Donohue.
6. If Gabby Daleman can skate CLEAN, she might do very well. Maybe Adam Rippon?
7. 1. Maxim Kovtun to skate LIGHTS OUT (He's capable). 2. Jason Brown to do very well. 3. Mao Asada doing clean 3A.

More:

8. Boyang Jin? Idk.
9. Men's. Definitely. ANYTHING can happen. ANY FREAKING THING. Like going to Skate America last year I now way predicted Max Aaron would win it. Like now with a lineup of Shoma Uno, Boyang Jin, Maxim Kovtun (Yes I know he can headcase BADLY), Jason Brown, Adam Rippon, and Daisuke Murakami, anything can happen. Like I'm not making any predictions. Boyang Jin hits all 6 quads cleanly and everything else, he might win. Shoma might win based on PCS because he has gotten higher PCS (I think) than Boyang. Jason Brown might be the unexpected winner. But with the arsenal of quads by Shoma and Boyang, that might nearly be impossible. Podium? Not impossible. This is such a good lineup and exciting!
10. At least 4?

Last edited:

desertskates

Medalist
Yay, fun! :hap10:

1. Realistic winner predictions? Jin, Wagner, Tarasova / Morozov, Shibs
2. Wishful thinking winner predictions? Uno, Wagner, Seguin / Bilodeau, Shibs
3. Who do you look forward to seeing most in this competition? A Gracie-Ashley matchup, Shoma Uno, Adam Rippon and Ilinykh / Zhiganshin
4. If you had to pick one skater who you think is most likely to have the skate of their life at SA, who would you pick? Ilinykh / Zhiganishin
5. Of the programs you've seen so far, who on the SA roster has the programs you most look forward to seeing? Mariah, Ashley, and Gracie all have fabulous longs this year. I'd really like to see Gracie's long skated clean so we can fully appreciate it.
6. Who do you think could surprise with a higher-than-expected placement here? Mariah Bell
7. Suppose you have a Skate America Genie who is going to grant you three wishes pertaining to this event. What do you wish for?
1. No injuries (obviously, that didn't happen)
2. No meltdowns
3. Castelli and Tran finally hit their stride

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Good to see it back :)
Ladies, Men, Pairs, Ice dance

1. Realistic winner predictions?
Ashley Wagner, Shoma Uno, Seguin/Bilodeau, ShibSibs
2. Wishful thinking winner predictions?
So Youn Park, Daisuke Murakmi, Marchei/Hotarek, Ruslena aka I/Z (mine are very wishful :biggrin: )
3. Who do you look forward to seeing most in this competition?
The above ones + ShibSibs, Pairs in general
4. If you had to pick one skater who you think is most likely to have the skate of their life at SA, who would you pick?
James/Cipres (their throw Rippon flip is everything)
5. Of the programs you've seen so far, who on the SA roster has the programs you most look forward to seeing?
Min/Gamelin SP (k pop :rock: ), Brendan Kerry's SP and Julia Lipnitskaya's LP
6. Who do you think could surprise with a higher-than-expected placement here?
Mai Mihara, Nam Nguyen, Muramoto/Reed
7. Suppose you have a Skate America Genie who is going to grant you three wishes pertaining to this event. What do you wish for?
1. My wishful winners to win :p
2. Eurosport showing all events (and not just winners recap)
3. All Pairs skating clean :hap10:

My addtional questions:
8. Who will have the most bizarre costume?
My bet is on Boyang Jin
9. Which discipline will have the most unpredictible results?
I think Ladies. I wouldn't even be shocked if Mai Mihara win.
10. How many Men will land (not just attempt) 3 or more quads (counting both SP and FP)?
I think 3 of them.

Good luck to all skaters!

EDIT: Denis Ten WD from SA :slink:
EDIT2: And now Julia too. Why everybody's WD from SA? :tantrum: Adjusted answers.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Using Cathlen's version!

Ashley Wagner, Boyang Jin, Tarasova/Morozov, Shibutanis
Gracie Gold, Jason Brown, Tarasova/Morozov, Shibutanis
Brendan and Jason!
4. If you had to pick one skater who you think is most likely to have the skate of their life at SA, who would you pick?
Brendan. It's been building and he seems to have more confidence.
5. Of the programs you've seen so far, who on the SA roster has the programs you most look forward to seeing?
Brendan's and Jason's. Also pretty keen for SpiderBoyang, ngl.
Brendan! Because silly people keep saying he'll come last, and they're just silly.
1. Jason lands a beautifully clean quad in both programs and wins.
2. Brendan goes completely squeaky clean, the judges shower him with the love he deserves, and he medals completely unexpectedly.
3. Timezones are magically rearranged so that karne does not have to get up at 5:30am to watch her boys skate.

SpiderBoyang. Does any more need to be said?
The men again.
10. How many Men will land (not just attempt) 3 or more quads (counting both SP and FP)?
Four - Boyang, Shoma, Voronov, and Brendan

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
Using Cathlen's version!
Ashley Wagner, Shoma Uno, Seguin/Bilodeau, Shibutanis
Mao Asada , Boyang Jin, Seguin/Bilodeau, Shibs
almost everyone.
Sergei Voronov
Muramoto/Reed LP, Julia Lipnitskaya's SP, S/B LP, Gabrielle Daleman's LP
Mai Mihara, Muramoto/Reed, Denis Ten
1. My wishful winners to win
2. Muramoto/Reed getting Bronze
3. Gabby Daleman back to back clean skate

My addtional questions:
Boyangman
men

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
great its back again!

Uno, Ashley Wagner, Shibutani/Shibutani, Seguin/Bilodeau
Voronov, Serafima:laugh:, Marchei/Hotarek, I/Z

Brendan, Jason, IZ, Julia, Voronov, B/S vs IZ local duel:hap10:, Seguin/Bilodeau, Mao, T/M, D/F, basically all other pairs

Realistically 1 of the NA athlets b/c of home competition
So either Seguin/Bilodeau, Daleman, Gold, H/D, Jason

I'd personally pick IZ or Boyang

T/M I/Z B/S Jason Ashley M/H Tobias/Tkachenko So-Youn

Mai Mihara, Brendan, Timothy, Gabrielle Daleman or Mariah Bell

1. Gracie not being held up
2. IZ beating H/D
3. Shibs delivering outstanding programms & following up their masterpieces from last year

Boyang
dance

Last edited:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Shoma Uno, Ashley Wagner, Shibutani/Shibutani, Seguin/Bilodeau

2. Wishful thinking winner predictions? Mao Asada, Adam Rippon

Ladies is a great mix, even w/ Julia w/d. Ashley vs. Gracie, plus Mao and up and comer Mai Mihara. Mariah Bell has a chance to make a splash here, too as well as Gabby Daleman.

No idea.

Can I answer this for programs I haven't really seen? Ashley's Sweet Dreams SP, Adam's new Coldplay FS and the Shibs' new programs!

Jorik Hendrickx or Brendan Kerry. Maybe So Youn if she skates her short like she did this past weekend?

1. Gracie skates 2 clean programs
2. Ashley cleanly rotates her 3/3s
3. Jason lands his first clean quad in competition

randomfan

Record Breaker
I watch mainly ladies and sometimes men, so my answers will mostly be about them. Also, I apologize in advance if me repeatedley putting in the name of a certain favourite of mine (Park) constantly irritates people :biggrin:

Shoma Uno, Ashley Wagner, Shibutanis, idk for pairs

Shoma Uno, So Youn Park

Ashley Wagner, Mao Asada, Shoma Uno, So Youn Park, Jason Brown, Gracie Gold, Gabrielle Daleman, Shibutanis, Kanako Murakami

Uh...Gabrielle Daleman or Mariah Bell?

Wagner LP, Asada LP, Uno LP, Park SP

Gabrielle Daleman or Mai Mihara

#1 So Youn Park to have her best performances and make the podium! :cheer2:
#2 That my top 6 wishlist (not predictions) comes true.
#3 That people don't harshly bash on Gracie Gold no matter where she places (I feel sorry for her...)

Considering last year, I'm going with Boyang.

Honestly, both men and ladies are hard to predict. Anything can happen.

3 people?

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
1. Realistic winner predictions? Ashley Wagner, Shoma Uno, Seguin/Bilodeau, Shibutani/Shibutani

2. Wishful thinking winner predictions? Ashley Wagner, Adam Rippon, Denney/Frazier, Pogrebinsky/Benoit

3. Who do you look forward to seeing most in this competition? Ashley Wagner, Mai Mihara, Julia Lipnitskaya, Roberta Rodigherio, Mariah. Adam Rippon, Jason Brown, Shoma Uno, Tim Dolensky. Kayne/O'Shea, Denney/Frazier, Seguin/Bilodeau, Marchei/Hotarek. Pogrebinsky/Benoit, Hubbell/Donohue, Ilianykh/Zhivangsin.

4. If you had to pick one skater who you think is most likely to have the skate of their life at SA, who would you pick? Tim Dolensky

5. Of the programs you've seen so far, who on the SA roster has the programs you most look forward to seeing? Denney/Frazier, Mariah's FS,
Pogrebinsky/Benoit (#haven't re-watched P/B #wild impression#)
Kayne/O'Shea FS #that lift!!#
Castelli/Tran SP, Seguin/Bilodeau, Gracie's FS, Ashley's FS, Adam's SP/FS #can't wait to see it with the new music#

6. Who do you think could surprise with a higher-than-expected placement here? Jason Brown, Adam Rippon, Mai Mihara, Haven/Brandon, Tarah/Danny, Ellianna/Alex, Tim Dolensky

1. Ashley stuns with unexpected new program depth
2. Adam shows, podium or not, that he's integrated the gains of last year (actually, this is for Adam and Ashley)
3. All the podiums I want: Ashley/Mariah/Mai; Madi/Zach, Maya/Alex, Ellianna/Alex;
Adam/Jason/Shoma; Tarah/Danny, Haven/Brandon, Julianne/Charlie.

I thought about piggy-backing on Layback for "no sad meltdowns," but holy crayola, I sometimes still surprise myself. I actually think that is part of the process, everyone has them ... or what seemed mild to others but for them, is meltdown. It's part of the competition aspect and advances skaters on the road to brilliance. Even enhances their brilliance for next time.

Gracie/Mao/Yulia (#Graolia #WhyDidIJustTypeThat);

:rofl:

I just got five wishes for the price of three. I must be excellent at exploiting genies. :biggrin:

Followin' suit is fine!:rock:

ssffww

On the Ice
Ashley Wagner, Shoma Uno, Seguin/Bilodeau, Shibs
Ashley Wagner, Adam Rippon, Seguin/Bilodeau, Shibs
Ashley Wagner, Shoma Uno, Adam Rippon, Shibs
Mariah Bell
Ashley Wagner's SP, Shoma Uno LP, Mao Asada both
Gabby Daleman, Jason Brown,
Two clean skates from Ashley Wagner, and landed quads from Jason Brown and Adam Rippon
My additional questions:
Sergei Voronov

9. Which discipline will have the most unpredictable results?
Women

Last edited:

sammyott

Rinkside
1. Realistic winner predictions? Ashley Wagner, Boyang Jin, Seguin/Bilodeau, Sibutani/Shibutani
2. Wishful thinking winner predictions? Mao Asada, Adam Rippon, James/Cipres, Hubbell/Donohue
3. Who do you look forward to seeing most in this competition? Ilianykh/Zhiganshin (hope it's a good comeback) and Jin because of the crazy jumps.
4. If you had to pick one skater who you think is most likely to have the skate of their life at SA, who would you pick? I could see Adam Rippon skating really well.
5. Of the programs you've seen so far, who on the SA roster has the programs you most look forward to seeing? Ashley's LP, Adam's LP, Seguin/Bilodeau's SP, Morgan/Cipres's LP, and Ilianykh/Zhivangsin's FD (I've seen clips and it's supposedly Bollywood, so I'm excited!)
6. Who do you think could surprise with a higher-than-expected placement here? Mai Mihara for sure, Adam, and Hubbell/Donohue.
1. More than one guy lands all their quads.
2. Ice dance is as close as I'm hoping it's going to be.
3. Lipnitskaya and and Mao skate cleanly with no under-rotations!

Last edited:

LadyB

Record Breaker
Shoma Uno, Tarasova/Morozov
Daleman, Bobrova/Soloviev
Uno, Jin, Voronov, Kovtun, Nguyen; Seguin/Bilodeau plus the Russian pairs; Bobrova/Soloviev, Shibs.
Adam Rippon
Bobrova/Soloviev FS, Shoma Uno FS, Mao Asada both, Tarasova/Morozov FS
Voronov, Hendrickx, Daleman, Castelli/Tran
a) having one or two of the following on the podium: Voronov, Kovtun, Nguyen
b) lots of clean programmes
c) Castelli/Tran on the podium

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
All my realistic winners have won. And I guessed how many Men will land 3 or more quads (fully rotated of course), it's only three: Shoma Uno, Boyang Jin (after SP I htought he wouldn't make it to this group, but in FS he landed 3) and Maxim Kovtun (he had splat in SP after landing quad combo :biggrin: ). Totally missed who will have skate of their life, it was definitely Mariah Bell. And Boyang costume wasn't as bizarre as I tought.