2016 Skate America Videos- no spoilers | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate America Videos- no spoilers

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Please, no offense was intended at all. Some of us simply cannot watch during the night (in this case a lot of Europeans, or people at work, but it would happen to people at any continent at some point during the GPs), and I'm pretty sure there used to be topics like this previously, too.

Please don't shut down your thread, we all really appreciate your work, and maybe something can be worked out? I'd PM you, but I cannot seem to send you a message, unfortunately.

Last edited:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I am sure no offense was meant, particularly as credit for finding the videos was, in my opinion, appropriately given through a link to the original post. Pamigena was transparent about where s/he got the links. Perhaps discussing it with her or him via PM would be more productive than posting here and shutting down your thread.

I also don't think the thread itself is disrespectful. It is normal that people who can't watch live might want to enjoy the competition this way, and in the past you have asked people not to post links in your official threads as it clutters them. I know I and everyone deeply appreciates what you do and respects the format in which you choose to post the videos, but it really isn't odd, again in my opinion, that some people may wish to avoid spoilers and watch this way if possible.

Mao88 has a format she uses and I doubt others will take the time. Yes it gives results in order but I suspect very few watch these live - they are in comp threads. For many people these lists by Mao offer chance to see the winners first or in any order. I personally am upset Mao88 feels usurped here.

Please Mao everyone loves your work. I too feel it was disrespected. Please continue. Thank you.

LeReveur

On the Ice
I am sure no offense was meant, particularly as credit for finding the videos was, in my opinion, appropriately given through a link to the original post. Pamigena was transparent about where s/he got the links. Perhaps discussing it with her or him via PM would be more productive than posting here and shutting down your thread.

I also don't think the thread itself is disrespectful. It is normal that people who can't watch live might want to enjoy the competition this way, and in the past you have asked people not to post links in your official threads as it clutters them. I know I and everyone deeply appreciates what you do and respects the format in which you choose to post the videos, but it really isn't odd, again in my opinion, that some people may wish to avoid spoilers and watch this way if possible.

I second what you wrote, tulosai.

Pamigena, thanks very much for providing this no-spoiler treat for us. It was great.

Mao88, your work is appreciated too, though I can't agree with your reaction.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
there are 3 kinds (at least) of fans here...

1) some who watch online streaming live (when they can as of course with time zones it's not always possible) Competition threads are done for those

2) some who won't watch online streaming for lack of time and enjoy seeing a very orderly results and video thread which also is a reference for the future as later on during the year, it is possible to find easily a program from a particular competition. Those threads are very important for many fans, including myself, and Mao has provided videos religiously for all of our benefits.

3) some who won't watch online streaming but love seeing the competition without spoilers, from start to finish... I totally understand the purpose for such thread, and I commend you for suggesting it.

However, even if once something is posted online, it becomes available to all and everyone, I do see Mao's point of view. He/she had just posted the first videos that they were taken by someone else and reordered by starting orders. I can totally understand how frustrating that would be for someone as dedicated as Mao. It takes a lot of time to collect such data.

I personally feel this forum will be missing out if the results and videos thread are no longer available.

I am not saying that there was a deliberate attempt at offending anyone.

I second what you wrote, tulosai.

Pamigena, thanks very much for providing this no-spoiler treat for us. It was great.

Mao88, your work is appreciated too, though I can't agree with your reaction.

Last edited:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I personally feel this forum will be missing out if the results and videos thread go missing.

I totally agree with you here. But also, judging from the reactions in this topic, there is a wish for a topic like this, or at least for the posts in skating order. The wish has been there for years, and I'm pretty sure I've seen a similar thread posted before (not by Pamigena).

So it would definitely be nice to try and tackle this for the future, any which way Mao would agree with would be fine.

Pamigena

Record Breaker
I've closed my thread down.

Do you have any idea how rude it is to simply set up an alternate videos & results thread and then reorder the links from the post I have compiled. However, carry on, but you will need to find them yourself from here on in
I'm sorry you felt offended, but I'm afraid I don't see how I was being rude or even disrespectful. I didn't set anything up, and this also isn't "an alternate videos & results thread", because the idea was precisely to have a list of videos that does not yet include the results or any kind of spoiler. I never pretended that I was the one who actually compiled the list of links, and as many have said, your work is very much appreciated. That's why I referenced your thread as a source and linked to the specific posts where you provided the links. All I did was write down my own list of names according to the starting order, and then I used your posts as a source to fill in the links. I'm sorry if you find that offensive.

tzazu

Medalist
Actually I had planned to do something of the sort for a friend anyway. She can't watch live and doesn't want to get the outcome spoiled by videos listed in order of the final placement. I just would have rearranged the videos that get posted in the "videos & results" thread and would have listed them in the initial starting order. If you want, I could post that here as well instead of just sending it to her.

I've closed my thread down.

Do you have any idea how rude it is to simply set up an alternate videos & results thread and then reorder the links from the post I have compiled. However, carry on, but you will need to find them yourself from here on in

I won't be able to watch much of online streaming in SA (European and on duty, which is worst:sad21:), and although I prefer to watch live, when it's not possible, I love seeing the competition without spoilers, so I totally understand the purpose for such thread, and I want to thank you, Pamigena, for it. The same thing that happens with others, happens with me when I try to look for the videos on youtube :slink:

When I re-watch a competition, I always go to Mao88's posts. There are multiple links, interviews, and so...I'm sure it takes a long time to Mao88 doing so, and I'm sure everybody loves her/his work. So please, Mao, I hope you continue giving us your threads. Most of the videos I have compiled in my computer come from your threads :points:

This afternoon I won't be able to watch the men's short (again on duty :tantrum:), but I hope to survive without sleeping until the short dance :coffee:

Last edited:

qwertyskates

Medalist
Both threads are needed

Count me in too, as one of those who applaud and grateful for Mao88's efforts but can't stay up all night to watch and appreciate the opportunity to watch without knowing the results, knowing that it's Mao88 who made the gargantuan efforts to compile the videos in the first place, and Pamigena doing the secondary favour for us to arrange them in competition order for those of us who want to watch it with fresh eyes and making our own judgment before knowing the conclusion.

However, as a record, I always refer to Mao88's threads to rewatch and refresh my memory about the skating performances. So Mao88, my heartfelt thanks and please reconsider your decision. Your efforts are crucial to the compilation of the skaters' achievements, think about your faithful work as a special dedication for all these beautiful, wonderful skaters, not just to us audience, please don't see this as a conflict of interest but Pamigena doing a separate effort for those of us who missed the entire event and want to watch it with the same anticipation without knowing the ending.

After the event is over, I always refer back to your thread as an important resource, as I no longer need to watch in competition order.

tulosai

Record Breaker
However, even if once something is posted online, it becomes available to all and everyone, I do see Mao's point of view. He/she had just posted the first videos that they were taken by someone else and reordered by starting orders. I can totally understand how frustrating that would be for someone as dedicated as Mao. It takes a lot of time to collect such data.

I do agree that it would have been best to consult Mao88 before the links were taken, but as I already said, I do think Mao88 was credited appropriately (perhaps to be extra careful Pamegena could have specifically mentioned Mao88 by name, but any even quasi regular poster understood where the links had come from, and Pamegena was very transparent, linking to the exact posts where the links had come from). I think everyone appreciates Mao88's efforts and that if Mao88 stops posting it will be a loss for the GS community. However, I do think there is a real desire on the part of many for a thread like this, and I don't see why it should be expected that someone should start from scratch when the links were already collected and available. Now certainly, if Mao88 wants to stop compiling the links that is his/her choice, no matter why he or she chooses to stop, and I respect that, just as I respect his or her years of service on the forum. But I can't help but feel that how this was dealt with overall was slightly immature, especially as Mao88 was well aware many posters wished for the video links to be available this way, as many people over the years have requested that he/she consider presenting the videos this way. Now, I 100% support him or her in choosing to display the results like he or she wanted to- that was and is his or her choice- but I just don't see the outrage if someone wants to present the same information a different way, while crediting Mao88 with doing the work of finding the links. Again, this would ideally have been discussed with Mao88 beforehand, I agree, but I just don't see that anything really 'wrong' was done here.

Of course this is only my opinion, and again I want to express my sincere appreciation to Mao88 for all he or she has done for the forum, and to reiterate that what he or she chooses to do going forward and has chosen to do in the past is his or her choice, and that the work in the past has been very appreciated.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
^^ I think a simple "May I use your incredible work to create a no spoiler thread on GS for those wishing this format?" could have gone a long way. The biggest feuds often come from the smallest things.... This gesture was missing... I don't think there was a will to offend of course not, but we all come from different places and cultures and we should be extra careful with such things.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
No doubt it takes a lot of time and effort to compile the video links after every competition. I wonder how another poster could create a secondary thread without being accused of 'taking' the links. :think: Essentially, you would do the same thing Mao88 is doing, which is search YouTube/DailyMotion (including the popular existing skating channels) and copying & pasting the links to the vids here. Frankly, they are not difficult to find, and 90% of the time they are on the same handful of YouTube channels that always post skating videos.

It's still super convenient to have the lists of video links compiled here... I guess I'm not sure I understand the battle being fought here, since most people are posting links to other people's videos, not their own, ones that are publicly available for anyone to access... all so they can share vids with GS members. What's the problem?

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Last edited:

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
Wassup everyone!!
I'm one of those people who can't watch every competition live, but when I end up watching it, I really want it to be spoiler free. I have in the past, in such a situation, done all I could think of to try and re-create the competition without spoilers, and that meant:
a) open the corresponding GS thread, like "SA 2016, ladies SP" to find the spoiler free starting order
b) copy/paste the names to find the videos on yt in starting order
c) stayed away from the otherwise amazing "videos/results" thread because it tells me right away who won, who's second, etc.
d) still ended up annoyed / spoiled many times because of searching for the video on yt: on the list of results, there would often be at least 1 uploader who'd include "oh, by the way, they finished 2nd!!" in the title - sometimes there'd even be the points. Aaaargghhh! :gaah:

Anyway. I'm very grateful for everyone who helps me to be able to enjoy watching these competitions, both you guys here on the GS forum organizing threads, and people on yt uploading programmes. :thank:
Since I only come to -hopefully- get something out of it, I didn't feel it appropriate to ask for even more work, like a "no spoiler video links" thread, but believe me, it's exactly what I wished for all those years.
I really hope you guys can (have a little PM exchange maybe?) work together to combine both your efforts? :bow:

Even now with this awesome "no spoilers" thread, I ended up not using the links and finding another yt video provider who'd have them without the Russian commentaries. That's where the "2nd copy, 3rd copy, ...) would come into effect.

So that would be my perfect world: A thread where the skaters are listed in starting order, then the links with the relevant info: (1st copy RUS ; 2nd copy RUS ; 3rd copy no comment ; 4th copy B_ESP ; ...) :bow:

Love y'all, and again, thanks to everyone for the amazing work you put in that massively increases my FS watching experience! :)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Enough pleading has been done here and I'm sure Mao88 has seen the belated expressions of gratitude and appreciation.

Yes, gratitude and appreciation were regularly expressed in her thread for her diligent and generous work that brought much enjoyment to many without the effort of searching for them online. But she also deserves respect and acknowledgement. However unintentioned, it's still negligent and irrespectful to open another thread of videos transferred and rearranged from her thread without asking for and receiving her permission. Encouragement and permission from others are not enough. The source giveth and the source taketh away.

We take according to our needs and then we take too much without permission. Now we are pleading based on our needs. We get so used to the convenience afforded us that we conveniently forgot some basic etiquette.

Those who really want an unspoiled video thread really should do their own work to find them or go through the lesser inconvenience of getting permission from Mao88 to source form her thread.

I will go do my pleading on the original thread.

penguin

On the Ice
Thank you everyone who is keeping this idea alive! I have been doing this for myself (finding videos with one eye closed, trying not to be spoiled before I watched them in chronological order) but it's a wonderful idea to compile the list for others who have the same desire to experience the competitions in the way they unfolded.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
For me it's geoblocked, I'll try with Hola, could you tell me from where are you watching it, please? :thank:

In Poland. ISU Livestream is normally geo blocked for me, but archivised videos are not, so I thought at least the whole Europe can watch it.