Practice reports? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Practice reports?

keasus

On the Ice
I think when they skate this full-out, it could be a classic. The concept/music is unique (okay, even a little off-center but in a good, fun way). The Shibs have the techncial prowess and most important when you are trying something outside the box, the charisma to draw you in.

Last edited:

Elaine666

Final Flight
It was an open draw for the SD
I call it the Virtue and Moir return draw rule change as otherwise they would be skating first in both their GP

:scratch2:There still exists the chance that V/M will draw the first in SC, so makes it nonsense at all.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
wow, poor Shibs. Yikes.

I say poor Yura MIN / Alexander GAMELIN for having to go after them. This is part of what I don't like about the random draw. Now a team that does not even have the minimum TES for worlds has to make their GP debut right after the reigning world silver medalists... in their home country as reigning national champs to boot! The human brain is wired to make comparisons - this is why the moon looks larger on the horizon... because the brain automatically compares stuff. I would rather skaters like Min/Gamelin be involuntarily compared by the brain to skaters more of their level (both level of skating and experience) then to the Shibs. To me the seeded draw was not just about saving the best for last, but for situations like this. Let up and coming skaters shine on their own, not get compared to the best. You don't have to be the best to be a lovely skater... I say make it as easy as possible for people to appreciate and enjoy all the skaters.

Mariah looks great in 6 minute. Raf and Rohene at boards for her.

Thanks for sharing this, and it makes me very happy to hear. I am glad their is enough civility rather than bad blood that this can happen. I am glad Rohene still wants to be a part of her skating and I am glad that Raf was open to his involvement. I also would love to see those too interact. I mean Raf might be stern, but he can be cute as well... i could see them being pretty darn cute while watching Mariah skate well.

Khoai

Match Penalty
I like the random draw for SD. But the FD draw will be based on scores, won't it be?

mrrice

Record Breaker
wow, poor Shibs. Yikes.

Daniel, don't worry about the Shibs. Remember what Sandra B. said about Tonya Harding having to perform early at Worlds in 1991. Tonya was the 3rd of 37 skaters to perform at Worlds and still came in second losing only to Kristi Yamaguchi who performed second to last. For some performers, Myself included, I liked performing first or in the first group of performers. I liked to "Lay it down" and then watch the rest of the performers ( Katarina Witt Style :devil:) and see if they could beat me. It also set me up for a strong Final in dance, or Free Dance in skating. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsPS1bhAj6c

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Brendan: my favorite of this group. He has nice flow, upper body, spins. No jumps in program but did a few nice ones outside program - too much going on to identify.

:yes2:

Plisskin

Medalist
Love the Shibs SD already. It looks like after last season's success, they've found their own style.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
I keep reading the title of this thread as police reports :palmf:

Mao no jumps and not full program. Good footwork. Mihara FS clean with all jumps I think but a bit low energy. Kanako FS stopp d / left a bit out otherwise clean.

Thank you so much for this and everything!

georgia

On the Ice
Gabby looked great mostly because of the beautiful costume she was wearing. Maybe is her short program costume. Out of the ladies I loved, loved, loved Ashley's long program routine. Finally an elegant , beautiful Skate like ladies use to skated a few years back. I adore Mao's footwork and the lightness of her skating.Out of the men's group Soma, Adam, Jason stood out. Adam's straight line footwork at the end of his short program, is both entertaining and smooth. I love Jason's spirals and spins. Tim had some very interesting footwork too in his short program, but his jumps are not there..yet!
The Shibs second half of the program is interesting, different, and technical. The blend of the music is great. I am not a fan of theirs but in my opinion this is their best work yet. I like her dress but not his costume. I didn't stay for pairs.

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
For some reason I find it hard to imagine Raf and Ro working together...:slink:

I don't know if they were actually working together, but they did chat at the boards and Rohene definitely gave Mariah feedback. Rohene was also with Kori for Jason.

Thanks for sharing this, and it makes me very happy to hear. I am glad their is enough civility rather than bad blood that this can happen. I am glad Rohene still wants to be a part of her skating and I am glad that Raf was open to his involvement. I also would love to see those too interact. I mean Raf might be stern, but he can be cute as well... i could see them being pretty darn cute while watching Mariah skate well.

Yeah, I was glad to see it too. I honestly can't see much difference in Mariah's skating under Raf but I guess it's only been two months. She has always been very fast with beautiful presentation and flexibility, and unfortunately, she is still falling on jumps. But maybe she needed to make the move away from Kori for her own personal growth, who knows. In any case, I hope she gets the jumps and comp nerves under control because she is my favorite female skater. For me she's a real stand out, and if she can fix those things I could see her challenging for national champ, easily.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I keep reading the title of this thread as police reports :palmf:

Thank you so much for this and everything!

Welcome! And to all, sorry I was trying to watch the ladies and write at the same time, so my notes aren't as good for them as for men. I'll try to be clearer next time! I met Arriba there (by coincidence, sat right behind her!) and she really liked Mai Mihara, so maybe she'll share her thoughts later.

theskatingbutterfly

On the Ice
I watched many of the practice videos and I am very impressed with Mai! I think she could easily win silver here - but I think getting above Ashley would be too hard. Ashley didn't do any combos today but I think that was planned. She was the only other skater that I saw that attempted jumps and pulled in/landed them. At this point Mao is a question mark because of her knee and she just said she won't be doing her 3A, and even if she skates clean, I think gold is out of her reach. Gracie- well, she tends to be a better practicer than competitor, and this run through was a bit of a disaster. I didn't see Gabby. All together I think Mai is definitely a threat for a medal, but it seems Ashley is definitely poised for gold here. Interested to see what her combos look like when she tries them tomorrow.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Welcome! And to all, sorry I was trying to watch the ladies and write at the same time, so my notes aren't as good for them as for men. I'll try to be clearer next time! I met Arriba there (by coincidence, sat right behind her!) and she really liked Mai Mihara, so maybe she'll share her thoughts later.

No, no, don't worry about it, everything we hear is great! Thank you for bothering!
And how great you met her! She ran into Shoma actually just the other day, good luck she's having overall :biggrin:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Aha, I see, thank you! Well ... while I understand the reasoning, I admit that doesn't work for me. At all. But personal preferences. Thanks again.

You are a very nice, polite person. I am not. I am a big Shibs fan. In the frame of reference of us older people, this just doesnt work at all for them, and me. Maybe I should try watching with the music off but
it makes them look slow for one thing. But the cuts and the mix are very distracting and anoying....I think I will now go and watch last year's FD. :noshake:

temadd

Final Flight
I watched many of the practice videos and I am very impressed with Mai! I think she could easily win silver here - but I think getting above Ashley would be too hard. Ashley didn't do any combos today but I think that was planned. She was the only other skater that I saw that attempted jumps and pulled in/landed them. At this point Mao is a question mark because of her knee and she just said she won't be doing her 3A, and even if she skates clean, I think gold is out of her reach. Gracie- well, she tends to be a better practicer than competitor, and this run through was a bit of a disaster. I didn't see Gabby. All together I think Mai is definitely a threat for a medal, but it seems Ashley is definitely poised for gold here. Interested to see what her combos look like when she tries them tomorrow.

Thanks for the solid reporting!

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
I had to leave after the first group of ladies. Anyone have reports on the pairs?

Men - Jason really is looking more and more mature. He did at least one decent quad toe before his program run-through that I saw. The landing looked underrotated to my uninformed eyes but he stood it up. He's such a presence on the ice. I'm biased, but it's hard to keep my eyes on other people when he's skating sometimes. Adam did a clean short program, and I know not everyone likes it, but I am so in for that program. It's just so much fun. Boyang's spiderman short was fun too, and it's definitely a good fit with his personality.

Dance - Being US champions and World silver medalists looks good on the Shibs. I don't know if I've ever seen them looking so confident out there and it just draws you in. They both look incredible in their SD costumes. I have to say, I'm not totally on board with the Sinatra/Jay-Z mix yet. It was overwhelming for me in the arena, like they just started playing two songs at once instead of being well blended. Maybe it will grow on me, or the judges will be okay with it. Pogrebinsky/Benoit also skate with a lot of power.

Ladies - Like I said, I only saw the first group, so the only one who really stood out to me was Gabby Daleman. I think I'm going to place her pretty high in my predictions, but with the other reports about Mai Mihara, I'm placing Mai higher.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I had to leave after the first group of ladies. Anyone have reports on the pairs?

Men - Jason really is looking more and more mature. He did at least one decent quad toe before his program run-through that I saw. The landing looked underrotated to my uninformed eyes but he stood it up. He's such a presence on the ice. I'm biased, but it's hard to keep my eyes on other people when he's skating sometimes. Adam did a clean short program, and I know not everyone likes it, but I am so in for that program. It's just so much fun. Boyang's spiderman short was fun too, and it's definitely a good fit with his personality.

Dance - Being US champions and World silver medalists looks good on the Shibs. I don't know if I've ever seen them looking so confident out there and it just draws you in. They both look incredible in their SD costumes. I have to say, I'm not totally on board with the Sinatra/Jay-Z mix yet. It was overwhelming for me in the arena, like they just started playing two songs at once instead of being well blended. Maybe it will grow on me, or the judges will be okay with it. Pogrebinsky/Benoit also skate with a lot of power.

Ladies - Like I said, I only saw the first group, so the only one who really stood out to me was Gabby Daleman. I think I'm going to place her pretty high in my predictions, but with the other reports about Mai Mihara, I'm placing Mai higher.

I missed Jason's 4T - how could I! And I agree with you about his presence - I felt same way.

I liked Gabby better than Mai, but that's just me. I didn't see pairs and was too busy writing about singles to see much of dance.