2016 Skate America Ladies FS | Page 48 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate America Ladies FS

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
I enjoyed Mao, especially in the SP, my respect for Angelina has grown even more - considering the circumstances she had to skate in and Gracie I hope can just get a break from all the Drama surrounding her. With all due respect, I think it´s not fair to assume or judge her "problems", if nobody is even close to her.

What were the circumstances for Angelina? Thank you in advance

miki88

Medalist
I just think it's over-the-top to tell a skater to retire just because you don't appreciate her work anymore.

Agree. Also, maybe skaters continue because they like the sport, even if some fans assume they don't because they are not doing well anymore. We also have to remember there aren't any big pro-am skating competitions where veterans can still show off their skills without having to push their technical limits. This could be partly the reason why more skaters are choosing to stay longer in the sport nowadays.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Yeah I guess I was lucky. After the ladies medal ceremony, I went out for dinner, and afterwards swung by the hotel to get ready for Dance/Pairs. I was almost late for the SD (and Shibs were the first team) so I was hurrying to make the elevator. Just down the hall, I saw a man disappear into the open elevator so I quickly turned the corner to dart into the elevator myself before the doors closed on me. Immediately I found myself quite literally face to face with Mao and coach. I'll never forget it, Mao had a big smile on her face and was looking right at me. I couldn't help but smile in return. She had her arms full with gifts. But strange thing, her eyes didn't look as happy as the rest of her face.

I didn't know what to say (if anything), so after a couple seconds, I mustered my sincerest: "Good job!" :disapp:

She was gracious about it, of course. You're right, what do you say in a 30-second elevator ride? It was an interesting ride, at least.

Quite a story. You did well. I am not sure how much English she understands but often times facial expressions can say wonders....I cant imagine what she is feeling right now but I just want her to heal up and skate well. Years ago when I would watch her practice when she was relearning how to jump, I would always smile at her as she zoomed by and give applaud for her at her bow at the end of the practice....(Wow...that was the 2012 4 Conts in Colorado Springs....where did the years go?)

Last edited:

Alex D

Record Breaker
What were the circumstances for Angelina? Thank you in advance

Angelina was not at 100%, she had some clear breathing issues and she also mentioned that to her coach, when she came from the ice, pointing at her throat. I would assume that she was having a cold, maybe even some fever - but this is speculation from my side.

She did at no point show it or use it as an excuse, but knowing her from last season, she was a bit handicapped and yet, never gave up and always kept her positive and friendly attitude towards the crowd. This is, what some skaters should really look at and use as an example, for a great lady and she is just 17 years of age, but very mature with good manners.

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
:thank: Alex D, for your kind answer.
Obviously she wasn't in top form, but at this point of the season it's no big deal. I hope that she recovers quickly from whatever she had and that she can draw some positives from this experience.
I am happy to read what you write about her poise and manners off the ice.
I wish Angelina all the best.

Freddie

Rinkside
Gracie's skate reminds me of her free program skate at 4CC of last season. Personal opinion, Gracie might wanto change her coach. Sorry about Frank, but whatever she is doing right now, does not work for her.

Totally agree. I know Frank is a legend, yada yada yada..... but we watched him suck all the joy and spontaneity out of Mirai, and now he is doing it to Gracie. It is incomprehensible to me that her family and support team do not see this. Gracie, find someone who gets you, and likes you, and allows you to love skating again!!

mcq

Record Breaker
I have been busy with a project this weekend so I haven't been able to keep up, so sorry if this has already been asked.
Can a skater do 2 3Lz+3T s in a FS? If so why haven't we seen more people attempting this?

Yes they can. But they prefer not to do that because there is no benefit point-wise. Why do 2 3-3 if they can attach the 3T to a 2A? The total BV is the same. This is what Satoko Miyahara was doing last year, backload 2 2A3T in the second half to maximize her BV. Doing 3-3 pose more risk, like fall or UR call for ladies than doing 2-3.
There are exception though. Like Polina Tsurskaya who do 3Lz3T and 3Lz3T2T, because her lutz-toe is good and consistent with high GOE.

rain

Record Breaker
Totally agree. I know Frank is a legend, yada yada yada..... but we watched him suck all the joy and spontaneity out of Mirai, and now he is doing it to Gracie. It is incomprehensible to me that her family and support team do not see this. Gracie, find someone who gets you, and likes you, and allows you to love skating again!!

Gracie just never looks like she's enjoying herself. Not before skating, not while she's skating and not after she's finished. And that's even when she skates better than she did here. I think she's clearly not over last year's tough experience at worlds. But she somehow needs to figure out how to enjoy competing.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I feel sorry for so many of the skaters. I think they like skating or love it but the competition now is so intense and in th elast year or so the skills have gotten crazy difficult. Much criticism has been about the Russian and to a point japanese jumping beans and the loss of artistry which I don't think is nearly as bad as the men. I will be curious to see what happens if Boyang, Shomo and Chen start beating consistently fans on this site or uber fans of Brown and Hanyu. I think Hanyu will survive but you never know. The scoring system has maxed out pc wise and it so close because it is hard to differentiate the best pcs even from mediocre whereas one quad makes up a huge pc advantage. And look at Boyang while some say his sp was better choreographically wise doing the big tricks really brought up his pcs when the BBC skating dudes all thought Nam should have easily beat Boyang pc wise which was not the case. Now Nam is not a threat but it will be interesting . But back to the ladies and GRacie. She needs to some how truly skate for her which isn't easy. Frank has many good things but he is very strict and old school and that is not for everyone ie. Kwan left him and she was very disciplined. Remember him trying to handle wild child Bowman???? Not pretty at all. Gracie reminds me of a less successful Sasha or like a Chouinard who had more personality. If they got it together they would be good as gold or Gold excuse the pun. Really they have beauty and style and power when on. If I were Gracie I would skip the next GP and concentrate on her and enjoying skating. There is time to turn around this season - you know the judges want to give her the gold even with Ashley being no. 1 in the US - if she skates a clean short they will put her first. Maybe some perspective might be good for her. Go t o a third world country and help out ; sorry not that there is a quick fix but the girl has all the natural talent and resources as well as luck ie judges seem to like like her. It is her's to lose.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
yes, you can. The reason why you don't see that often is because you can only do 3 combo jumps in LP. If you do 2 3lutz/3toes, you can only do one more combo. Let's say skater A did a 2 3lutz/3toe and a 3 flip/2toe. now skater A can only do one 2A instead of a 2A and 2A/combo.

as far as i know you can do 2 solo 2A at LP unlike triple jumps, it doesnt have to be in combo :think:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I so like Wagner 's free music choice but my fav program on this competition was Mao's, the last minute of it was dreamy <3