2. Mao Asada's LP
3. Jason Brown's LP
4. The Shibutani's SD
5. Gabrielle Daleman's SP

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
When I think back on SA 2016 I am going to remember Mariah Bell and Gracie Gold. They were the poster girls for the old ABC Wide World of Sports opening "the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat". Mariah's face after her FS and in the K&C was so wonderful to watch. And we saw the light go out of Gracie after her program and then that disturbing interview with USA Today just was heartbreaking.

And I hope I don't jinx Skate Canada but Icenetwork WORKED for me this weekend...over my home wifi...in my comfy living room. That hasn't EVER happened before. So that is a big takeaway from the weekend!!

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My top five (all Americans)

Jason’s FS- so what if the quad was UR – it looked great when he landed it and the program that followed was sublime. He’s really matured over the past couple of years.

Adam’s SP – so much attitude and confidence. He’s like a different skater since he came out and won Nationals.

Ashley’s SP – I liked HHCC better, but she can sell the heck out of a program. Can’t take my eyes off her when she skates.

Shibs SD - Best “hip-hop” I’ve seen except for V/M. I love the ponytail pull too from Maia.

Mariah’s FS – East of Eden always makes me teary and think of MK and her spiral. But Mariah made it her own and skated a great program with Rohene’s lovely choreo.

Special mention to: Shoma’s amazing FS (although I don’t like the vocals), Mao’s lovely skating and her step sequences, Mai’s GP debut winning bronze, and Voronov’s freeskate. I think I liked Ashley’s interpretation of Exogenesis better, but he was on! Also kudos to S/B for having a clean FS in a pretty messy event and also D/F for a strong comeback. Looking forward to seeing them at SC.

Last edited:

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
Shibs' FD - I absolutely adore the calmness and vibe of the program
Mariah's FS - simply amazing skate by her and a great program

Also really liked Jason's FS and Mariah's exhibition program :)

desertskates

Medalist
Tied at first. Mariah and Jason's free skates
3. Ashley SP
4. Adam FS
5. Shibs' super fun short program

nguyhm

On the Ice
Mao's SP and LP - so sorry to miss the Exhibition and I haven't seen the video yet but I'm sure it was lovely as always.
Mariah's LP - and she is such a lovely girl, just adorable.
Shoma's LP - well deserved medal
Voronov's LP - happy to see him skate well
Tobias & Tkachenko's FD
Happy and proud of Denney & Frasier
Precious moment: the lady who opened the door/gate for the skaters cried so hard after Jason's LP. He landed his quad right in front of me :luv17:

TMC

Record Breaker
1) Jason's FS. Will forever have a place in my all-time top 5 performances ever in the many years I've been following this sport-art.
2) Mariah's FS. Reminded me of her Titanic breakthrough FS at 2015 Nats. Same reaction, different level!
3) Shibutanis' SD. To me, best SD so far this season. Very smooth transition between blues pattern and hiphop.
4) Shibutanis' FD. I need to see it a few more times to figure out what it was that brought tears to my eyes.
5) Seguilodeau's FS. Pure joy on skates. Lovely programme. Lovely chemistry.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Top 5 (saw it live):

1. Sergei's FS - just great to see him coming back again after his struggles last season.
2. Mariah Bell both programs - I would give her the "most improved" award as she didn't really stand out to me last season. The coaching change seemed to do wonders.
3. Jason's FS - he isn't my favorite skater, but it was really enjoyable and a great finish to an excellent men's event
4. Tarasova/Morozov SP
5. Mai Mihara's SP

honorable mention - Max's FS, Nam's FS, Adam's SP, James/Cipres SP

not the greatest performances, but most entertainment factor - Boyang's Spiderman (couldn't stop laughing at his shimmies) and I/K Bollywood (I'm clueless about ID so it looked fine to my eyes...but what do I know? The other FDs were so bland to me)

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
There's way too many highlights for me, but here are my top five:

1) Shibs both program and seeing them place on top of the podium by a great number of points. SD is the clearly the best thought-out hip hop (maybe SD) of the season and FD is a future masterpiece program of the season. I can see all the potential already and I don't think we're close to seeing them perform this FD the way they can.

2) Shoma Uno's LP. Near perfection. Such intensity. Gave me vibes of a future OGM.

3) Jason Brown's LP. I wasn't sold on this program at all when I first saw a video of it early last season, but boy did he change my mind on that. His clarity of movement and ability to dance is unparalleled in the Mens field AND this time I felt his dancing and choreography was truly organic with the music and theme. Bravo!

4) Madison Hubbell and Zach Donohue's FD. Such beautiful skating skills and sustained edges...everything I love about figure skating. Such excellent and natural chemistry. I seriously love Hubbell/Donohue.

5) Adam Rippon's SP. This type of program couldn't be done years ago...and I'm not talking about baring shoulders. Brave and amazing performance quality.

Honorable Mentions:

Boyang Jin...despite him falling and not skating his best, I see his improvements big time and he's quite a showman. Pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed him.

Bobrova/Soloviev - They are so beautiful and striking on the ice. I love the first 2/3 of their FD and it's amazing to see how much she's improved her carriage and posture. She didn't have to improve, but she did it and I'm loving the results. They both give us legs for days.

Mariah Bell LP - the future of U.S. ladies.

Mai Mihara - gave me 1994 era Kwan vibes.

James/Cipres SP and having the hottest KnC of the whole event with John Zimmerman and Sylvia Fontana.

Looking at Horatek.

Ashley Wagner showing us she's USA number 1. Such new confidence.

Voronov and Nam hitting and being excited about skating again. The Mens event was absolutely wonderful.

Denny/Fraizer - USA pairs isn't looking too bleak with them around.

Kayne/O'Shea LP - this program shows off what they can really do. Ditch that SP. You've outgrown it because it's doing you no favors.

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
1. Jason and Adam's LP -tied. Both utterly captivating.
2. Ashley's SP
3. Ashley's LP
4. Shib's FD
5. Mariah's LP
6. Shoma's hair :laugh: (I love his skating but just can't get into his programs this season. The singing at the end of the LP has got to go!)

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley's SP - charisma, fun; how she creates feeling through character and story

Jason's FS - the look on his face at the end said it all. Victory on the quad, whole program expresses high emotion throughout

Haven & Brandon's FS - their looks of bliss, joy, love, sharing. How she sold the 2nd to last lift!

Adam's SP - and gorgeous shoulders!

Isabella & Ilia's FD - stellar expression of Tchaikovsky's ballet

Interesting to think about different kinds of high moments; sometimes screaming for joy, sometimes quiet joy

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Shoma esp his FS.
Adam esp his SP
Ashley
The choreo / concept of James / Cipres (please let this be cleanly executed sometime!)

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Ashley's SP - charisma, fun; how she creates feeling through character and story

Jason's FS - the look on his face at the end said it all. Victory on the quad, whole program expresses high emotion throughout

Haven & Brandon's FS - their looks of bliss, joy, love, sharing. How she sold the 2nd to last lift!

Adam's SP - and gorgeous shoulders!

Isabella & Ilia's FD - stellar expression of Tchaikovsky's ballet

Interesting to think about different kinds of high moments; sometimes screaming for joy, sometimes quiet joy

I agree with all of this - especially loved Isabella & Ilia's Nutcracker. How the judges scored the Italians' version higher is simply beyond me! The Israelis were sublime - truly graceful.

I also loved I/Z's Bollywood number - a little more polishing and it will be superb!

Spiral

Final Flight
Mao Asada – SP, LP, Ex. She has an unmatched degree of sophistication in her programs, which easily makes them memorable and unique. In the Bach program she also looks so incredibly authentic, as if she’s time-travelled from Baroque times. And it always arouses my admiration when actively competing skaters take the time and the effort to create show programs of such quality. Mao’s costumes are also beautiful as always; if there were a poll on the best dressed skater of all time, I’d vote for her.

Shoma Uno – SP, LP. He has an incredible musicality and ability to interpret complex music, all the more amazing considering his age. I was so glad for him when he won the event. Loved his costumes too – so handsome and fitting.

Jason Brown – SP, LP. I remember how Dick Button once likened Johnny Weir’s skating to liquid gold. Obviously, Jason and Johnny are very different people with different artistic styles, but I think Jason also has that quality to his skating. I feel like I could watch him skate forever. And, of course, I was very happy for him when he officially joined the quad club.

Elena Ilinykh/Ruslan Zhiganshin – SD, FD. They have so much personality and expressiveness that they could dance to anything and make it their own. I was also impressed by how they stayed in character throughout their Indian dance. Loved their costumes too. She looks ethereally beautiful in the stardust midnight blue in their SD, and he’s so elegant in a tuxedo. The FD costumes are colorful and very festive, but also stylish and graceful.

Kristina Astakhova/Alexei Rogonov – SP, LP. I love this pair team for their artistry and creativity. They are always so interesting and enjoyable to watch. I like their costumes too, although I wish he’d cut his hair like he considered in an interview.

temadd

Final Flight
Ashley Wagner's gold medal -her technical wasn't perfect but just glad to see her skating with confidence not fear. Hope it continues as the pressure builds during the season.
Adam Rippon's SP - love that he's doing something different. I'm tired of the show tunes and opera
Jason Brown landing his first quad (tho ever so slightly UR)
Mao Asada - everything
Mariah Bell's LP - so nice to see someone skating with such joy.