2016 Skate Canada Livestream & TV | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate Canada Livestream & TV

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Usually, I run the Player using IE on a Windows 7 PC, or a Windows 10 PC.

I use Virgin cable internet, which is extemely fast and reliable in my area, and always has been. I have a long standing grudge against BT since the days of ISDN and dial-up internet, when they routinely ripped people off as a matter of corporate policy. Even now, I wouldn't give BT so much as the steam off my s--- and will never willingly have anything to do with them (or any service that requires a BT phone line. One reason I live where I do, is because I can get phone, TV and internet via cable - I don't have to deal with BT for anything).

I haven't experienced any of the problems you listed, but then - I only use the player for figure skating, on the ISU channel (When there is an ISU channel!). Because I get the two Eurosport broadcast channels via cable TV anyway. I rarely use the rewind etc, but it has worked OK the few times I have...

Don't worry, I remembered you talking before about your issues with BT. But, we can't get cable where we are (you can only get it in and around Belfast), and we have heard too many horror stories about any of these cheaper providers to trust them. So, BT it is.

Better the devil you know!

And anyway, we need to get our broadband off BT to get BT Sport for a half decent price. The only thing we watch on it is MotoGP, so it is not worth paying the larger amounts that people with other broadband providers pay.

The sooner MotoGP returns to British Eurosport the better. I like the BT coverage as a whole, but I cannot stand the lead commentator (Keith Huewen). He is no-where near as good as Eurosport's lead commentator (Toby Moody). And I prefered the way that Eurosport stuck to the World Feed pictures between sessions/races. On BT, we are spending too much time looking at the presenter and the pundits talking to each other.

Anyway, getting back on topic, I use the Eurosport Player heavily. So, you may just have been lucky. Or, the ISU stream may be more stable (I haven't actually used the ISU channel this season yet).

But, after reading what you have said, I might try it using Internet Explorer. Because I remember one time last season (or maybe the season before) trying to watch a competition which was using some strange streaming service, and it wouldn't work on Firefox or Chrome, but it would on IE.

Thanks for the tip.

CaroLiza_fan

P.S. If anybody is intersted, I updated my Schedule post this morning to include the highlights repeats being shown between now and Friday.

Last edited:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
But, after reading what you have said, I might try it using Internet Explorer. Because I remember one time last season (or maybe the season before) trying to watch a competition which was using some strange streaming service, and it wouldn't work on Firefox or Chrome, but it would on IE.
Good luck...

I should also point out that I normally use wired network connections, not wireless - although I do use one of those mains socket relay things to avoid awkward wiring and very long ethernet cables to one room, which works just fine. I also never use streaming devices (eg. Chromecast etc) - for TV display I connect a laptop directly to the TV via HDMI cable.

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Good luck...

I should also point out that I normally use wired network connections, not wireless - although I do use one of those mains socket relay things to avoid awkward wiring and very long ethernet cables to one room, which works just fine. I also never use streaming devices (eg. Chromecast etc) - for TV display I connect a laptop directly to the TV via HDMI cable.

Yep, same here. I use wires for the internet as well. In fact, I have the wireless disabled on the router completely because it gives me really bad headaches. Although, it did mean having to get a 10m ethernet cable to connect the Sky box to the router...

And after dithering about it for a year or so, I finally did get an HDMI cable to connect the computer to the TV. Yes, it did have to be 12m long, but it is the best thing ever! Watching on a proper TV screen is so much better than watching on the computer screen.

In fact, I am thinking of getting a 12m VGA cable as well because we have a wee 16in TV going spare, and it would be very handy for setting next to the big TV during competitions so that you could see the livescoring too! ;) :biggrin:

By the way, when you "Liked" my previous comment, it was the 2,000[SUP]th[/SUP] "Like" I have received since the feature was enabled.

So :thank:

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I have the same problems CaroLiza fan. I watch on a Macintosh, macOs Sierra, watch over browser, my Internet connection is good. The best browser so far is chrome for watching. I tried most others and especially firefox made problems, safari wasn't that great either. I cannot forward at all, so if I want to watch something specific it doesn't work. Almost all Skate America videos are gone by now. I had some of these problems last year, and thought they might've worked on the Player but nah...they didn't. iI's a bit disappointing and I hope they really work on this thing before the Olympics. It's not the best player around. And HD is impossible at least for me. It doesn't even give me the option.

Usually, I run the Player using IE on a Windows 7 PC, or a Windows 10 PC.

I use Virgin cable internet, which is extemely fast and reliable in my area, and always has been. I have a long standing grudge against BT since the days of ISDN and dial-up internet, when they routinely ripped people off as a matter of corporate policy. Even now, I wouldn't give BT so much as the steam off my s--- and will never willingly have anything to do with them (or any service that requires a BT phone line. One reason I live where I do, is because I can get phone, TV and internet via cable - I don't have to deal with BT for anything).

I haven't experienced any of the problems you listed, but then - I only use the player for figure skating, on the ISU channel (When there is an ISU channel!). Because I get the two Eurosport broadcast channels via cable TV anyway. I rarely use the rewind etc, but it has worked OK the few times I have...

OK, people. An update.

I was watching the "s-word" this morning on Eurosport Player, using my usual set-up (2 Firefox windows side-by-side, one showing the Eurosport 1 stream, and the other showing the Table 2 stream).

It started mis-behaving about an hour and a quarter into the session, so I re-started the computer and decided to try Internet Explorer. And it was so slow even opening the browser, I gave up and went back to Firefox. But, unfortunately, it wouldn't let me wind back the 10 minutes or so I had missed on Table 2 (I was watching Table 1 on the TV while the computer was re-starting).

Same thing happened about an hour later. So, I restarted the computer again. But, this time I remembered about Chrome. So, I opened it up and set it up the way I set Firefox up.

IT WAS PERFECT!!! :cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :hb: :points:

It let me wind back the 10 minutes or so I missed while the computer was re-starting no bother. And there have been no problems since then either.

So, now I know what the problem is. It's Firefox.

I never liked Chrome because it was too simple. I prefer to have toolbars with buttons that I can press to do things. But, I can tell you something, I will be using it to watch Eurosport Player all the time from now on.

Plus, although I miss the toolbars, it actually looks better on the TV screen without them.

Thank you so much to YesWay and MaiKatze for giving me the idea to try out different browsers. I wouldn't have thought of it otherwise.

CaroLiza_fan

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Thank you so much to YesWay and MaiKatze for giving me the idea to try out different browsers. I wouldn't have thought of it otherwise.CaroLiza_fan
Haha, good job. Perhaps I should also have mentioned that Firefox is my main browser, and I only use IE to access one or two specific sites, like Eurosport Player. Similarly, I use Chrome too - for one or two sites...

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I'm a firefox-fan, I love the plugins, favourite lists, how you can personalize it, the way the tabs are arranged and I always assumed it was the best browser around - for over a decade. But for watching videos and some certain website I just have to say, it's not good. Even the Internet Explorer is better when you watch on a Windows PC, and who really still uses IE? And Chrome, I was always against it but I find myself using it quite regularly lately. And it's also possible to install Hola for example on Chrome. So if you're having problems, it's definitely worth looking into different browser options, guys!