2016 Skate Canada Livestream & TV | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate Canada Livestream & TV

ObaFan

Rinkside
That doesn't look like it's geoblocked. Brazil is unlikely to be geoblocked if no network is broadcasting the event there.

Thank you, Violet Bliss!
No network is broadcasting this specific event but I don't know if they bought it's rights as part of a package. Because there is a cable channel that broadcast Worlds and some other FS competitions here in Brazil.

Pamigena

Record Breaker
Sorry, I have a silly question:
How can I know if ISU live streaming is geoblocked in my country?
it's showing "! Sorry, an error has occured" message. Does it mean it's geoblocked or it's another problem?:scratch2:
I get the same message, and I'm pretty sure it's because of geoblocking (because once I un-geoblock it, the stream works fine)

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Wow at how terrible BESP coverage is.

I loved how the german commenter just ignored that there were two more disciplines other than ladies and pairs when they showed the preview. But guess what? They'll show the gala! At least we can see the winners of the competition there. Who needs a competition anyway, when you can watch the gala!

Last edited:

MalAssada

Medalist
Thank you, Violet Bliss!
No network is broadcasting this specific event but I don't know if they bought it's rights as part of a package. Because there is a cable channel that broadcast Worlds and some other FS competitions here in Brazil.

Hey there, Oba,
I believe Sportv has the rights of broadcast, despite only showing Worlds and the Olympics (and that gala in São Paulo while there was a competition going on...). I try to connect to the ISU stream every week... And I am blocked, because Globo prefers showing a football match on Sportv for the fourth or fifth time, but they still own the rights.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
NBC will have some coverage of Skate Canada Sunday, Nov 1 from 4:30-6:00pm Est

Caveat:
On Sunday Oct 30, NBC's 2016 Skate Canada Ladies FS coverage is scheduled for 5:00 - 6:00 pm ET (subject to change; check your local listings), per both USFS and NBC.
http://usfigureskating.org/story?id=90080&type=media
http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2...ernational-on-nbc-this-sun-oct-30-at-5-pm-et/

Is it possible that you were looking at an old NBC broadcast schedule for a previous year??

The chart below is from the USFS press release:

2016 SKATE CANADA INTERNATIONAL BROADCAST SCHEDULE
(All times Eastern; subject to change; check local listings)
Broadcast Date
Event
Time
Network
Friday, Oct. 28​
Ladies/Men's Short Program​
12-2 a.m.​
UniHD​
Saturday, Oct. 29​
Pairs/Men's Free Skate, Free Dance​
12-3 a.m.​
UniHD​
Sunday, Oct. 30​
Ladies Free Skate​
5-6 p.m.​
NBC​
Monday, Oct. 31​
Ladies Free Skate (Re-Air)​
8-9 p.m.​
UniHD​

If you are talking about ISU archived streaming:

Reminder that geo-blocking in the U.S. *no longer* is in effect for archived streaming on the ISU channel :dance2:.
The lack of geo-blocking is new this season.

I can speak only re the U.S., but again: The archived streaming is *not* geo-blocked.

The live streaming is geo-blocked.

Update/correction:

Hate/hate/hate to say that it turns out that I spoke too soon :sad4:. My apologies. (And apologies for quoting myself.)

Archived ISU streaming of 2016 Skate Canada International IS in fact geo-blocked in the U.S.

The absence of geo-blocking for archived streaming must have been a temporary thing only for 2016 Skate America.​

Last edited:

ObaFan

Rinkside
I get the same message, and I'm pretty sure it's because of geoblocking (because once I un-geoblock it, the stream works fine)

Pamigena, how do you un geoblock? I tried 3 differents VPN to un-geoblock, but it didn't work.

Hey there, Oba,
I believe Sportv has the rights of broadcast, despite only showing Worlds and the Olympics (and that gala in São Paulo while there was a competition going on...). I try to connect to the ISU stream every week... And I am blocked, because Globo prefers showing a football match on Sportv for the fourth or fifth time, but they still own the rights.

MalAssada, it's a good thing they started to broadcast Worlds and Olympics (and the commentators finally learned some things about the skaters! I was tired to hear they speaking of them as if they were soccer players.) but they could let us watch on ISU streaming the ones they won't show.
I can't stand to watch a soccer match once, I don't know how someone can watch it for the fifth time (and all those "mesa redonda") Thanks to Globo I reaaaally dislike soccer.
And your username... Lol when I saw it I knew you're brazilian! :laugh:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
One of the german commenters on Eurosport just said that he it's a pity they didn't show the men, and that it wasn't their decision not to. :slink: Use your influence, guys, and give us the men. But maybe a non-commentary stream isn't so bad.

sammyott

Rinkside
Does anyone know if BESP is going to show highlights of the free dance or not? Would love for those videos to be on YouTube.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Does anyone know if BESP is going to show highlights of the free dance or not? Would love for those videos to be on YouTube.

There is a highlight program tomorrow. I guess, they will include the top men and the free dance. Otherwise it's not really a highlight program, isn't it?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Further to what Pamigena said - if they stop the ISU channel in the Player after a couple of events (like they did last year)... then you can simply cancel the monthly subscription. (Beware of the annual subscription - you can't cancel it so easily, and it only works out cheaper if you use it for more sports than just skating).

About using a "regular computer" instead of smartphone or tablet: where I am (UK), and with my internet provider etc, the Eurosport Player streaming quality and reliability is the best of any I've ever used.

At the maximum 720p resolution it looks great on a HD TV or large computer screen, much better than watching on a tiny phone or tablet screen. I hook up a laptop to the full-size TV to watch the Player ie. "Regular computer" is the best way to view the Player, in my opinion.

Very interesting reading the comments about the Eurosport Player. Because, whilst I agree that the picture quality is second to none, I have found the Player itself to be VERY temperamental.

• It is very difficult to re-wind or fast forward. More often than not, the player freezes completely when you try to move the marker, and you have to re-fresh the page and start the process all over again. It’s got to the stage that I don’t even try to wind through the adverts any more, because it takes longer than just playing through them.

• Sometimes it doesn’t let you wind back at all.

• If you have managed to get wound back and are watching away, it can go back to "LIVE" without warning.

• Sometimes the player comes up with a "5050 – downloading: chunk" message (not sure if I got the colon and the dash the right way around). Whenever this happens, you can’t wind back. And if you are already behind, it goes back to "LIVE".

• And often when you try to go back to the point that you were at before it took you back to "LIVE", it won’t let you.

• Sometimes the streaming channel does not go on air on time, and you miss the start of the event.

• The length of time before a streaming channel is taken off air after an event has finished is very erratic. If you get too far behind, you are in danger of it being taken off without warning, meaning you don't see the end of the event.

• On Demand videos only stay up for 7 days after they were first broadcast. And, unlike other on demand services where the videos stay up until the time the original broadcast ended, on Eurosport Player they only stay up until the time the original broadcast started. And they are sometimes taken down even earlier than that.

• Events that were broadcast on the additional streams do not become available on demand. Only the things that were broadcast on either Eurosport 1 or Eurosport 2 do.

• Not all things that were broadcast on Eurosport 1 or Eurosport 2 get made available on demand. And there is no way of guessing what things will not be made available on demand. This is particularly the case with the British Eurosport Player. The other versions I use regularly (the Players for ESP Deutschland and ESP Nederland) are not as selective.

But, despite this, I wouldn’t be without it. I took out the 12 month subscription during Skate America last year, and there is no way I am cancelling. Eurosport was the only sports channel I had when growing up, and consequently nearly all the sports I got into were ones shown on Eurosport. Unfortunately, a lot of them are now ending up on the Player because Eurosport now have so many rights but only have 2 channels to show them on. So, I am finding the Eurosport Player invaluable.

Just out of curiosity, what sort of set-up are you using to watch Eurosport Player? I am watching on Firefox on a Windows 7 PC with BT Broadband’s unlimited usage option (it’s just the regular broadband, not the fibre optic version).

That said, I don’t think it’s my setup, because I don’t have any problems with BBC iPlayer.

I would love to see Eurosport Player to become more like BBC iPlayer. It is so much more user-friendly. There are no problems with winding back live broadcasts. Nearly everything that is broadcast by the BBC, be it on the regular TV channels or on the interactive service, gets made available on demand pretty much straight away. And it is available for a full 30 days after the original broadcast, rather than just 7 days.

Hey, better than that, I would like to see the BBC actually license out the iPlayer software to Eurosport.

The BBC and Eurosport have always had a good relationship, sub-letting sports rights to each other. They have done deals like this in the past with MotoGP, they currently do it with snooker and tennis, and they will do it with the next few Olympics.

The BBC and Discovery have also always had a good relationship, co-producing documentaries together.

During September, it was announced that Eurosport had taken on a guy called Ralph Rivera to run a new department looking after their digital presence. Now, until a few months ago, Rivera had a similar job at the BBC. And, among other things, his department was in charge of BBC iPlayer and the BBC interactive services.

So, I cannot see why this sort of arrangement could not happen. Hey, it would be a handy little extra source of income for the BBC.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I have the same problems CaroLiza fan. I watch on a Macintosh, macOs Sierra, watch over browser, my Internet connection is good. The best browser so far is chrome for watching. I tried most others and especially firefox made problems, safari wasn't that great either. I cannot forward at all, so if I want to watch something specific it doesn't work. Almost all Skate America videos are gone by now. I had some of these problems last year, and thought they might've worked on the Player but nah...they didn't. iI's a bit disappointing and I hope they really work on this thing before the Olympics. It's not the best player around. And HD is impossible at least for me. It doesn't even give me the option.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Just out of curiosity, what sort of set-up are you using to watch Eurosport Player? I am watching on Firefox on a Windows 7 PC with BT Broadband’s unlimited usage option (it’s just the regular broadband, not the fibre optic version).
Usually, I run the Player using IE on a Windows 7 PC, or a Windows 10 PC.

I use Virgin cable internet, which is extemely fast and reliable in my area, and always has been. I have a long standing grudge against BT since the days of ISDN and dial-up internet, when they routinely ripped people off as a matter of corporate policy. Even now, I wouldn't give BT so much as the steam off my s--- and will never willingly have anything to do with them (or any service that requires a BT phone line. One reason I live where I do, is because I can get phone, TV and internet via cable - I don't have to deal with BT for anything).

I haven't experienced any of the problems you listed, but then - I only use the player for figure skating, on the ISU channel (When there is an ISU channel!). Because I get the two Eurosport broadcast channels via cable TV anyway. I rarely use the rewind etc, but it has worked OK the few times I have...

Tallorder

On the Ice
I would love to see someone post the Canadian broadcasts to YouTube or other video platform. Usually the broadcasts are geo-blocked, but I find I enjoy the commentary from Kurt Browning and Tracy Wilson especially.