2016 Skate Canada Men's SP | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate Canada Men's SP

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
NOOO i am not attending!!!! DAMN IT!!!! i had everything lined up but I CANNOT!!!! :(

I will be at Nationals.. but of course, that may be of lesser interest. I think Krunchi is attending! Lucky gal!
Super excited for Skate Canada this week! I hope Misha's visa issue gets worked out. Loved hearing that practices will be streamed. For those attending (4everchan, liv, etc) have a great time!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Maybe Ge just has a habit of leaving arrangement of things too late? Or have other skaters had visa problems?

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Maybe Ge just has a habit of leaving arrangement of things too late? Or have other skaters had visa problems?

He is not late, it's the complicated process he has to go through. He cannot apply until the sporting event he is attending issues him an official invitation letter (this actually goes for anything, from when you are going to a congress to when you are visiting one specific person as a regular visit) and only then can pack up the rest of his many papers and submit. I remember this was the issue last time too, by the time he got the letter, it was simply impossible to work it out. Of course, so the embassy claimed anyway. There's a waiting period after you submit, anywhere from 4 days to two weeks and this is where this time it got a bit tight. Unfortunately his country isn't on the Schengen so called white list making him exempt from visa requirements so he has to go through this every time.

He got it so solved :yahoo:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Good that Misha Ge can attend his events this time :) Sometimes I forgot how tough it is for some people with visas, living in EU is so comfortable...

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm so excited for Kevin! But then again, I'm probably going to be nervous. We'll see how I'll be Friday: either super excited, so nervous, or a combination of the two.

The men's field this competition is LIT! But that also can lead to surprises one might not predict.

I feel like this is going to be a fight for the bronze as it seems like if all goes well, gold and silver are locked by Hanyu and Chan (Not in that order necessarily).

But like I said, this event is jammed-packed.

Biellmann

Match Penalty
I'm curious about Samohin, can he make it? Or is he going to be a surprise at worlds? Who knows....

Biellmann

Match Penalty
I think Yuzuru could do it like Mao. We know how hard it was last year for him, this year it's going to be even harder. How are his injuries? How is his mental state? His programs are humanly impossible to skate, sure, he can do it, but he should do it at worlds. I think he is going to 4CC this year? It's going to be a looong season, he shouldn't waste too much energy at small competitions. I tell you, he will be injured again at the end of the season :drama: :disapp:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think Yuzuru could do it like Mao. We know how hard it was last year for him, this year it's going to be even harder. How are his injuries? How is his mental state? His programs are humanly impossible to skate, sure, he can do it, but he should do it at worlds. I think he is going to 4CC this year? It's going to be a looong season, he shouldn't waste too much energy at small competitions. I tell you, he will be injured again at the end of the season :drama: :disapp:

so yuzuru is not human ? what is he? a unicorn? an alien? a deity?

I prefer looking at things positively here. He will do his best, so that later this season he gets things together... and we don't know... maybe the programs are ready now. Sitting all those small competitions can actually be a bad strategy as it puts even more pressure on the bigger events. It's good that people are doing more and more events. Look at the Russian team. They do so many challengers. It helps for consistency. If he came to ACI, when he was clearly not ready with the LP, I doubt he would skip SCI.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Misha's got his passport back from the French consulate! Welcome to Canada! Welcome to Skate Canada International, Misha!

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
so yuzuru is not human ? what is he? a unicorn? an alien? a deity?

Cyborg, according to the Russian commentators a while back ;)

Seriously though, I doubt very much they're ready (or rather, I think the SP is but not the LP) but yes, couldn't agree more. I think better pacing and attending some of those 'smaller' events is a good thing which is why they're including some of them this year after skipping before.
Should be an excellent weekend, and in more than just the men's division.

Lysambre

Final Flight
Wishing good luck and good health to all the men in this event.

Hopefully they can all have clean skate and make us shiver with joy :yahoo: (yeah, yeah, I know, I'm ridiculously hopeful like that)

LeeJiHye19

Final Flight

I don't think Yuzuru's program is "humanly impossible" but it is very difficult like other F.skater had said. I also want to see him compete in this year 's 4CC since it will be held in S.Korea. It will be great to experience the quality of their ice rink before the actual winter olympics in 2018. On the other hand it might not be a good idea to participate now too since the 2018 olympics is near and he can't risk getting injured anymore. Tho, it's still 1 year before the actual winter olympics but we don't know how severe an injury he can get -I hope he doesn't tho. Plus I really want him to win the WC this time. Losing 2 WC will affect him mentally I think. Also, participating on small competions will give him some insites to what are the things he still need to work in his SP and LP., And it will boost his world standing more. Or he just wants to participate because maybe he missed competing again. It's like you're cheat day on you reducing program, since you know that depriving yourself to much to eat what you really want will not be actually good for you in the end.

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
He is not late, it's the complicated process he has to go through. He cannot apply until the sporting event he is attending issues him an official invitation letter (this actually goes for anything, from when you are going to a congress to when you are visiting one specific person as a regular visit) and only then can pack up the rest of his many papers and submit. I remember this was the issue last time too, by the time he got the letter, it was simply impossible to work it out. Of course, so the embassy claimed anyway. There's a waiting period after you submit, anywhere from 4 days to two weeks and this is where this time it got a bit tight. Unfortunately his country isn't on the Schengen so called white list making him exempt from visa requirements so he has to go through this every time. He got it so solved :yahoo:

I thought ISU published the list of GP-events and the skaters in them already in late July or was it early August? Anyway several months ago.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
I thought ISU published the list of GP-events and the skaters in them already in late July or was it early August? Anyway several months ago.

Unfortunately it is the French who have to send him the official invitation. There is probably some way to make this all more stream-lined but... I remember the last time the French skating federation even tried helping but it was not possible to get it done.

And now that I think about it, he's not the only person who had these problems. Another Uzbek couple had issues, it was also France, for the 2012 W. I don't remember the details now but it was some crazy story, where they arrived directly onto the ice some 10 minutes before they were about to perform (like no practice, no warm up, nothing, just directly onto the ice), due to the visa problems and it was Misha who was reporting about it and let everyone know they had arrived.