2016 Skate Canada Men's SP | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate Canada Men's SP

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i am not even going to elaborate much here... but I have one question and then a few comments :)

?? Why is it that every time someone (in this case mrrice) praises Patrick for something (musicality and edges) a bunch of people need to bring up Hanyu? It's very obnoxious. As a matter of fact, mrrice had also been thankful to a user posting Yuzu's practice just a few posts above... he was simply reacting to seeing Patrick's gorgeous skating in the subsequent video offering by MIM.

Comments : musicality is subjective and people react to music differently. However, here are my two cents, take them or leave them :)

Patrick expresses his musicality from the deepest of his body. Do not look out for so many facial expressions (yet he does from time to time) as the witness for his feelings. You have to look at how he uses his blades, his legs, his torso, his arms, his neck.... Everything in the way he details his movement, is linked to the musical emotion. It is a global approach to communicate the emotion. It is a very intimate and special experience if you open up to what he has to say.

Some fans appreciate more "in your face" or literal approaches. Some fans appreciate story-telling. Some fans prefer fireworks, wildness, intense in the moment powerful movement. There is nothing wrong with those kinds of approaches either. They are all valid.

However, in that department, for his style, Patrick is at the top of the field and if it leaves some people cold, well, that doesn't mean he isn't musical... it means you are not open to his style or his style is not your preferred style. Backing up with examples of other skaters with "in your face" fireworks to say they are more musical is not true. It only speaks about the style you prefer.

The intensity some other skaters show, I'd compare to rock star status. It's great. It's fun and exciting. I appreciate it. Personally, I can enjoy all kinds of styles, however, if I had to pick one ultimate skater, one who will interpret different kinds of music deeply and with his entire body (not just from the waste up), I'd pick Patrick for the refinement of gesture.

My ultimate wish is that everyone here who are skating fans open up to other styles than the one they prefer. These athletes work very hard and deserve respect and when someone mentions something positive about Patrick or anyone else, it gets really obnoxious that a handful of people need to always bring Yuzuru back in the picture. We like Yuzuru as well, but that was Patrick's video we were commenting about.

Last edited:

Raomina

On the Ice
Patrick has something about him that no other Male skater has, including Hanyu. I just watched their programs back to back, Twice! If I were on that panel of judges, Patrick would be the PCS winner. There's no denying Hanyu's ridiculously difficult jumping passes but, he does not have Patrick's deep edges, perfect posture, or his musicality. As my ballet teacher used to say...Patrick "Becomes" the music. IMO he is the best interpreter of music since my all time favorite....Plushy.

i am not even going to elaborate much here... but I have one question and then a few comments :)

?? Why is it that every time someone (in this case mrrice) praises Patrick for something (musicality and edges) a bunch of people need to bring up Hanyu? It's very obnoxious. As a matter of fact, mrrice had also be thankful for a use posting Yuzu's practice just a few posts above... he was simply reacting to seeing Patrick's gorgeous skating in the subsequent video offering by MIM.

Everything's been said already so I'm not adding to it, but mrrice was the one who brought up Hanyu specifically this time as a comparison to Patrick directly, so... you can't be surprised if people are prompted to respond and then be upset at the responses.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I'd rather be watching the Men's practice right now and the competition tonight. Patrick is coming up in about 2.5 minutes.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
For some reason I'm used to Warm Up 2 having the higher profile skaters so I begun reading from the bottom, thinking "Oh, this is a really weak competition" after I was done with Warm Up 2. Then I check the Warm Up 1 and go "...Oohhh".

This should be a very good competition. Curious to see some programs for the first time.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Plushy was an interpreter of music?

Yes, he was, is. Maya Plisetskaya, Roberto Bolle, Nicolai Tsiskaridze, Yuri Smekalov, Sergei Filin... Do you know who they are??? They praised Plushenko's skating.. In Italy call him Barisnyikov on ice.. What a surprise!!!

How much I'm tired of this! I recommend you look at some videos of him not to repeat some uninformed opinions.... He was an inborn entertainer...

"This is angel on ice. Perfect its not enough. Its above. The legend this is what he is, the man who can skating on the cloud. Pure emotions. After this the sky can fall down. " this is Plushenko. I can show you thousands comments like this. But they are probably stupid ot blind..

Last edited:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker

?? Why is it that every time someone (in this case mrrice) praises Patrick for something (musicality and edges) a bunch of people need to bring up Hanyu? It's very obnoxious.

However, in that department, for his style, Patrick is at the top of the field and if it leaves some people cold, well, that doesn't mean he isn't musical... it means you are not open to his style or his style is not your preferred style.

Not open to his style? Nonsense. Some people just aren't into Patricks skating, but they might very much like others Skaters with that style. Not your area to judge.

And lol, while another poster even went "why do people have to use Yuzu too compare their favorites to favorably?" :laugh: very obnoxious! :biggrin:

We need the comp to start, the bickering is already here!:laugh:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yes, but try not to be that one person who threw Winnie the Pooh and hit a judge. :slink:

But if the scores of your favorite skater was not favorable, then by all means just launch your presents towards them. :rofl2:

:laugh2: I laughed so hard when I first read this... yep, I'm going straight to hell. :devil: When and where did this happen?

However, if I was that judge, I'd rather have Pooh thrown at me than the other kind of poo...

Lysambre

Final Flight

?? Why is it that every time someone (in this case mrrice) praises Patrick for something (musicality and edges) a bunch of people need to bring up Hanyu? It's very obnoxious. As a matter of fact, mrrice had also be thankful for a use posting Yuzu's practice just a few posts above... he was simply reacting to seeing Patrick's gorgeous skating in the subsequent video offering by MIM.

:eek:topic:

If people were only praising Patrick, then that would be great. When people are praising one skater while very obviously trying to bring down another skater, then it's not quite the same (and I seriously don't care about which skater A and skater B we are talking about, no skater should be badmouthed anyway).

Mrrice was the one to bring Hanyu to the discussion, and not once :

Hello everyone, after spending the morning discussing weight, I thought I'd see if anyone will be doing practice reports and posting them in this thread? I know there are several Hanyu fans here and I'd just like to say that as cute and sweet and talented as he is.................................I want Patrick to WIN.

But twice :

Patrick has something about him that no other Male skater has, including Hanyu. I just watched their programs back to back, Twice! If I were on that panel of judges, Patrick would be the PCS winner. There's no denying Hanyu's ridiculously difficult jumping passes but, he does not have Patrick's deep edges, perfect posture, or his musicality. As my ballet teacher used to say...Patrick "Becomes" the music. IMO he is the best interpreter of music since my all time favorite....Plushy.

To me, that's called baiting, not praising.

If someone kept calling Hanyu fantastic... IN COMPARISON to Chan's not so great, I'm pretty sure Chan's fans would not stay silent (and they would be well within their right to do so, same as the people on this thread).

If people bait, nobody should complain the bait has been taken.

Lys

Match Penalty
?? Why is it that every time someone (in this case mrrice) praises Patrick for something (musicality and edges) a bunch of people need to bring up Hanyu? It's very obnoxious.

Maybe because mrrice brought up the comparison first?
And it's pretty logical if people answer to that post giving their opinion on that comparison? Or maybe people are not allowed to answer with their own opinion about that comparison? Because in that case, that would be very obnoxious indeed.
But hey, English is not my first language, what do I know.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

It's probably because there are fans who can't stand their favourite skater not being number 1 in every single aspect of skating, even if the skater themselves have admitted they have areas where improvement is required.

There are things Hanyu has that Chan doesn't have and there are things Chan has that Hanyu doesn't have. Doesn't mean we can't enjoy both of their skating.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Come on guys, these "Skater A is better than Skater B" discussions belong at the end of the thread, when the event is over. ;)

mrrice

Record Breaker
I guess I'll have to find a different way to discuss Patrick. I'm sure if you were to go back and review my posts regarding his skating, you'd see that I rarely compare him to the other skaters. I think his skating stands alone and there are plenty of things to discuss without comparing him to anyone. I don't think I've ever compared to him to Hanyu unless it was Worlds or the Olympics as they are rarely skating in the same GP events before the final. I think it's safe to say that lineup of skaters in this event is spectacular and I look forward to seeing them all.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
to be fair, usually mrrice, myself, and many others, have only mentioned Patrick and what I described in my post still happened. I think my comment is not the result of just this particular incident but an accumulation. I made my comment without quoiting anyone to express that general feeling. Sometimes, I refrain from praising Patrick outside of the fan fest because it simply triggers the kind of comments about other skaters being so much better... IMHO it's on the same level as "my father is stronger than yours" childish comments.
:eek:topic:

If people were only praising Patrick, then that would be great. When people are praising one skater while very obviously trying to bring down another skater, then it's not quite the same (and I seriously don't care about which skater A and skater B we are talking about, no skater should be badmouthed anyway).

Mrrice was the one to bring Hanyu to the discussion, and not once :

But twice :

To me, that's called baiting, not praising.

If someone kept calling Hanyu fantastic... IN COMPARISON to Chan's not so great, I'm pretty sure Chan's fans would not stay silent (and they would be well within their right to do so, same as the people on this thread).

If people bait, nobody should complain the bait has been taken.

Lysambre

Final Flight
to be fair, usually mrrice, myself, and many others, have only mentioned Patrick and what I described in my post still happened. I think my comment is not the result of just this particular incident but an accumulation. I made my comment without quoiting anyone to express that general feeling. Sometimes, I refrain from praising Patrick outside of the fan fest because it simply triggers the kind of comments about other skaters being so much better... IMHO it's on the same level as "my father is stronger than yours" childish comments.

To be absolutely fair, a good portion of the Hanyu fans don't even dare going out of their fan thread anymore at all, because in many other threads they've been scolded, ridiculed, patronized, mocked... You name it, they got it thrown in their face at one point or another, for daring to like one particular skater (a situation Chan's fans also know very well, and thus should understand very well too). That's the actual secret of the incredibly huge number of posts in his fan thread, by the way.

Chan's fans and Hanyu fans are a lot more similar than they probably would like to be :console: (and also, I'm quite sure that a lot are actually fans of both skaters... Imagine the drama when they are being forced to make a choice between one or the other, or face rejections from all sides :drama:)

As of today, they've also been called "obnoxious" (by you, yes) for doing exactly what I've seen you (and others) do in other threads where Chan was being spoken of in not such a nice way.
And amazingly enough, despite the proofs that they were indeed NOT the ones to bring Hanyu into this particular conversation, they have yet to be apologized to... Unless you were actually calling "obnoxious" the actual person who brought him into the convo, in which case it's still not acceptable, and mrrice also deserves an apology for that. :laugh2:

Either way, I am hopeful that, in this case, your words were stronger than you intended them to be, no matter who they were directed at.

You're usually a lot more fair than that... at least toward the skaters ;), and I respect that a lot.

[that'll be the end of this very dramatic drama for me, I'd rather enjoy some skating instead. *very dramatic reach* feel free to go on without me :drama: I die *dramatic exit* ] :rofl:

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
Can't belive that I finally will see Patrick at GP since last year! And his magic on the ice! :love: Good luck to him! And also want to wish good luck to young Mishin's boy Sasha Petrov. He still doesn't have stable quad, but his skating skills and also his 3A are very good! So good luck Patrick and Sasha! :)

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Good luck to Daniel, Misha, Michal and Kevin! I don't even care what happens to the top 2 any more.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Lysambre, I appreciate your post. Please know that I was not calling anyone in particular obnoxious, just the general idea that whenever a skater is getting praised some others from the other clan of fans overreact.

You're correct that in my posts, I try to be fair to all skaters. Of course, I'm not perfect :)

For me, as a long lasting figure skating fan, I've gone through many other rivalries, some even inside Canada :) so I value what each athlete brings to the game. I just wish each post praising a skater didn't come with a "excuse me but so and so also have good edges " and that's just one example. Look, Patrick is making progress. We fans, are excited. After so many comments as "he has no jumps " which were unfair, we only perhaps would like to enjoy a bit of hope, which is what this video was all about. Gorgeous 4t/3t, two big triple axel, a very close 4 s. Etc. We are proud of our boy, his dedication and his skating personality. End of story. Now, I agree, let's enjoy all skaters competing.

Apparently, the word competing comes from "aspiring together". I wish that's what we could all do and what all athletes could do.

I read the ladies SP thread. Not sure it was very nice in there to say the least. :noshake: