2016 Skate Canada Ladies SP | Page 44 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate Canada Ladies SP

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Hey, sabinfire! :) Did you record yesterday SP of ladies? And will you record FS? Still nobody public the records of SP from CBC or NBC :(

Yeah, I've got those. I just uploaded two videos quickly during the ice surfacing here at practice. Might upload a few later but I'm stuck in the arena all day so I wouldn't expect much until at least tomorrow. Editing videos in an arena while watching practices isn't easy! ;)

Evgenia Medvedeva SP - Universal HD
http://youtu.be/CGe6Rpf-y_0

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva SP - Universal HD
http://youtu.be/ZxDRVzFervo

(These can be posted in any of the video threads.)

temadd

Final Flight
Disagree on the bolded. Girls smaller than Satoko jump higher.

YES, YES, YES!! I hate it when people use her size as an excuse for her jumps. There are many tiny skaters who can get more than 6 inches off the ice. She needs to get to the gym and get more strength in her legs.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Major Quandary: Hang out here with you fun people or watch the ladies, pairs and men on my big screen tv.....Or third, much scarier option: borrow my the laptop and do both from the living room. The laptop is scary.:eek::eeking::unsure::noshake::scratch2:

Btw that thing about Yuzu having trouble getting a handle on Evgenia's scores made me snort with laughter. Luckily no beverage was being consumed at the time.

Last edited:

kalee

On the Ice
YES, YES, YES!! I hate it when people use her size as an excuse for her jumps. There are many tiny skaters who can get more than 6 inches off the ice. She needs to get to the gym and get more strength in her legs.

Word. Yes. Karen Chen and Vivian Le immediately come to mind.
Satoko beats both in consistency and neatness, but that's where it would be fair to penalize her on URs and accord her higher PCS, instead of doing the reverse.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker

she has a trainer just for that purpose, even though some people are implying that she doesnt work on her jumps she is well aware of that she needs to jump higher, i am sorry that she couldnt fix her jump problems as fast as some of you would like her to, but i think her jumps looked a lot better at Japan Open than here,

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I've seen the girls live. I was too nervous as I wanted everybody to skate well. I really wanted Alain to skate the way she trains, it did not happen, but I still love her. Kaetlin looked great. I felt she was a bit restrained, still she managed to control her nerves quite well. The scary stumble after the successful jumps was an indicator of how slippery ice is, and how careful you have to be. She deserves a high score, maybe not as high as it was, still she was really great. Rika, Elizaveta were also very good.
Evgenia was like dream. I was mesmerized. I almost can't believe I was lucky to watch her live. I loved her program so much. She really is gorgeous.
Now I have to prepare to go to the rink again...

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
I've seen the girls live. I was too nervous as I wanted everybody to skate well. I really wanted Alain to skate the way she trains, it did not happen, but I still love her. Kaetlin looked great. I felt she was a bit restrained, still she managed to control her nerves quite well. The scary stumble after the successful jumps was an indicator of how slippery ice is, and how careful you have to be. She deserves a high score, maybe not as high as it was, still she was really great. Rika, Elizaveta were also very good.
Evgenia was like dream. I was mesmerized. I almost can't believe I was lucky to watch her live. I loved her program so much. She really is gorgeous.
Now I have to prepare to go to the rink again...

Great posts and updates Sabrina...many thanks!

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Here's my thoughts on Tukt: i feel like the best choreographer for Liza, as weird as it may sounds, is Tatiana Prokofieva.

Of course Liza can skate better programs with more complex choreo but like it or not this sort of mature style with freedom in the choreography and the opportunity to engage the audience, is much more comfortable for her. We've seen this program already three times this season she nailed it everytime, it can be even better at the Cup of China. The mix between Mozart and Tango is strange, i know, but at least the music cuts weren't that bad actually.

In general i appreciate the fact her style is so different from the rest of the ladies.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
I am so happy for Kaetlyn! I have always liked her skating and jumps (when she is on) and man, can she sell a program! :clapper:
To me, she should've been 1st. She had better SS, more powerful jumps, greater flow, and better presentation than Evgenia.

I'm still not a fan of Evgenia's skating or programs because I find them not as polished (especially that illusion turn she does in the step sequence). Her jumps aren't great or impactful and her programs look the same. I wish next season they'd explore more music and style and just balance the program a little bit more because the opening looks empty and the second half looks swamped with jumps and spins that aren't really nuanced with the music. But she's so unbelievably consistent and can backload any time. I think that's a great talent to have. She is so well prepared. She's also a very charming person.

Satoko's skating is lovely as usual and I think she should have gotten the highest SS. Her flow is just unmatched in this field. Too bad about the tech issues but I know she'll come through. I root for her in the free! :hap10:

Kaetlyn has a lot of issues with posture, line, and refinement in general IMO when you're comparing her to Evgenia that seem to get ignored by quite a few people. I thought both Osmond and Chartrand were enjoyable, but both of them were overscored on PCS. But that's just me.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Kaetlyn has a lot of issues with posture, line, and refinement in general IMO when you're comparing her to Evgenia that seem to get ignored by quite a few people. I thought both Osmond and Chartrand were enjoyable, but both of them were overscored on PCS. But that's just me.

are you responding to my post? lol :)

I find Kaetlyn's skating more refined than Evgenia to be honest. She is faster, her turns are sharper and she has deeper and more flowy edges. Her jumps are bigger too and she can sell a program. Evgenia's strong points are her consistency, stamina (ability to backload), Tano-ing, and being unique (as a skater, not her programs that I find similar to each other). However, her elements aren't great when you dissect them (not the best jumps, not so great SS, shallow and rough edges; spins are great tho).

Both skaters are charming. But Kaetlyn skates bigger and more impactful than Evgenia when she is on IMO.

Medvedeva isn't as fast, but if she skated with more reckless abandon and ignored things like posture and carriage while skating she'd probably be able to. Plus had she made such a silly and messy mistake like after landing her jump combo (which she did some easier transitions out of), people would cry foul if she scored over a 74. I'm not big on Medvedeva, but in this case I just don't agree.

It's a much much higher score than Finlandia trophy, I'm not convinced it was that many points better (but that's just me).

Last edited: